Article about Postpartum Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just saw this article and thought it was interesting. I'll admit that I do know the psychologist that is interviewed here but I thought others might find it interesting too! Everyone's heard of postpartum depression but it turns out postpartum obsessive compulsive disorder is real too. They're working on a program to help prevent/treat it!

Psychologists develop successful prevention program for postpartum OCD

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my beautiful siggy!

August 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I had no idea.

I will have to read the whole article when I have more time because it looks interesting.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heh. Can't say I didn't check the baby constantly. . . but I don't think I was THAT bad. I'm already OCD.

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Facebook
August 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
I don't like it when people who don't have OCD make jokes about being ocd :/ I actually was diagnosed a couple years ago with it, and it is NOT fun. I didn't flip light switches a hundred times or anything like that, but I constantly worried about things. I never really worried about things that could happen to the kids or to me, it was more like when I went to bed at night, I couldnt turn my brain off long enough to go to sleep. I would worry about how were were gonna pay so and so bill 4 months from now or something like that. i was anxious, moody, and i just could not turn my thoughts off. at. all. its kinda like when you leave your house and wonder if you turned the iron off, except it eats you alive until you literally have to drive back home from wherever you are and check. its normal to worry about things, but i was an obsessive worrier.

i tried a couple different meds, but they made me for even crazy than what i was. finally i quit the meds and made lifestyle changes like going to the gym. it helped IMMENSLY. I was able to go to sleep at night without having to take a xanax to help me shut my brain off. being pregnant has really taken a toll on my mental health lol. little things seem to bother me A LOT, especially when it comes to cleanliness. Ask dh, he knows. If my living room or kitchen is messy, it will literally put me in a black mood, and I will not stop thinking about it until either I clean it or dh does. its almost like the thought haunts me and beats me to death until i cant take anymore and something has to be done.

<3

<3
August 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind the jokes... people LOVE to watch me sort (candy usually, by color, size and preference) and such and they tend to say it's the weirdest thing they've ever seen. As long as it makes me feel better, they can say what they want. I also have a tendency to clean when nervous, and I straighten rugs and chairs and if I'm at a store and they have posters sitting at the register, I fix those too. They tried to medicate me but I refuse. The worry is something I've overcome myself.

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Facebook
August 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Medication absolutely has it's place but another thing that really helps a lot is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). It's actually what my husband does, he works with patients with OCD and anxiety disorders (clinical and research) and he helps by using CBT. A lot of his patients aren't on meds at all but it can at least go hand in hand.

Now I might really seem like I'm plugging or something (this is our private practice) but it's not like I'm trying to drum up business since most people don't live in Baltimore. Here's our website. The link is directly to where you can learn more about CBT if you're interested. There's also a lot of other information about OCD and other things.

What is CBT? | CBT Baltimore

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search