lost my job

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Veteran
So...the boss's wife called me two days ago and said that they can't afford to keep me here anymore...so in march when my contract ends they will not renew it.....they said that with my being pregnant and all they can't afford to keep me on a contract while I'm at home on maternity leave....

So there you have it...I knew it was gonna happen...but I'm ok....I will get my unemployment money after march... It just means I will have a fresh start and spend time with my baby girl...

...And hopefully something new and perfect will come along....the boss didn't have the guts to tell me!! he had his wife tell me...

Anyways...just needed to vent...
Thanks for listening...
September 9th, 2011, 04:25 AM
mommys munchkin's Avatar Veteran
Am glad you are taking this positively, and better still your little one gets all the attention she needs!!!
September 9th, 2011, 04:42 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
That's terrible news. I'm so sorry. It's cowardly that the boss couldn't call you to tell you. What a jerk! I hope you have a better opportunity come along and at least you'll get to spend time with your LO until then.

I'm sure she's not very legal savvy (to be honest, neither am I), but could they get in trouble for saying that any part of the firing was due to maternity leave (and therefore your pregnancy)?

September 9th, 2011, 05:19 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Omg how unprofessional to have your wife call and fire someone!!!! I'm sorry Maybe its best you know now instead of being upset about it when baby is here.

September 9th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
How very unprofessional!! I would speak with the local unemployment office, I've been an office manager a few times, and pregnancy is not usually a legal reason for firing, unless you are an independent contractor. Also, if u have been there for atleast a year u have earned fmla. While u probably wont get ur job back (who would want it after that anyways) they will probably get in trouble, atleast a fine, and ur unemployment would have to be paid by them instead of the state lol. Which would make their reasoning null and void. Bad on them
September 9th, 2011, 06:29 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear that. It's hard to be unemployed when you don't want to be. I myself just applied for unemployment yesterday. Hopefully the money will ease any financial stress and just let us enjoy our time with our LOs!

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

September 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear that...yeah I can't believe she admitted to the reason of your pregnancy. Do you think you'll pursue anything against them?

Well I know for sure you'll enjoy your sweet baby!

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
September 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Veteran
thanks for the support girls...unfortunately..even if I do persue them they have the excuse that the company is not going well and that they have to do with less employers and that (here in Italy) comes before my being pregnant...I still have till march...and I dunno how it works in the States but here maternity leave is for 5mnths fully paid (as if you were at work) then ..if you still have a job you can stay home for another 6mths but your pay is at 30% of what you usually get. If you don't have a job (my case) i have to ask for unemployement which will be around 40% of what my base pay was in my last job....

Fortunately I have DB....BUT i'm 36 and I've always been indipendent especially money wise...and so I hope something will come along....but they only pay unemployment for 6 months!! which brings me to sept. next year...the baby will be 9 mnths old....I don't think I want to put ner in a nursery at that age so I dunno...

I'll have to find a solution...maybe I could go back to giving lessons at home..it's not much but maybe it'll be a good part time solution for a while... we'll just have to wait and see I guess...

My mom passed away 3 yrs ago...but I know she's still watching over me...so maybe she'll help me out somehow......

Sounds silly huh??

Anyways..thanks again girls, I appreciate it.

Last edited by jmap; September 9th, 2011 at 06:47 AM.
September 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
Not silly at all GL hun your mom is definitely looking out for you, I do belive when one door closes another opens ((hugs))
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

September 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's not silly at all. I sometimes think the same thing about my grandmother, and we lost her like 8 years ago. Sorry to read about your bad news - I hope it works out for you.

September 9th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry that you're losing your job. I was laid off when I was pregnant with my last baby and it was really hard. You'll get things figured out and land on your feet. They could have been a little more professional in how they handled the situation.

September 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM
hoping4more
I'm sorry that stinks. I'm a SAHM but in the states it varies from employer to employer some people get 4 weeks some people get 12 weeks, then its up and you have to go back to work. I haven't heard many women ever getting longer then 12 weeks though. My cousins wife is from Denmark, they actually just moved back there. She said they get an entire year of maternity leave there.

Hoping you find a new source of income soon, and that you can spend plenty of time with little baby when he/she gets here.
September 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
jlg123's Avatar Ecstatic mommy-to-be
Good luck! At least you'll have "paid" time with the baby. DH lost his job a month ago and still hasn't found anything. I hope he finds something soon because we're getting low on savings.
September 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry. I can imagine how stressful that must be. I hope things work out well for you.
September 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear that...I can't believe your bosses WIFE rang you to tell you! Gutless man haha. Im glad you aren't too down about it, I'm sure something new and perfect will come along.

September 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry to hear that. At least they gave you plenty of warning. But how do they really know how their business is going to be doing that far away anyway, maybe things would have picked up for them. But I agree, why would you want to work for someone like that anyway. You guys are lucky to get that much paid time off, here in the states we are lucky to get any paid time off at all. A lot of employers don't offer any paid time off, but do offer unpaid maternity leave. I will be one of those on unpaid maternity leave.

September 9th, 2011, 04:17 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
That really stinks, but I'm glad you are okay with it. Everything will work out just fine! And yes, your Mom is definitely watching over you.
September 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Veteran
Thanks again to all of you for your help..advicec and support...
thanks with all my heart
September 12th, 2011, 04:43 AM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow i am sorry, some poeple.... well glad you are looking at it as a positive thing.. i hope everything works out great for you and your baby...

September 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
aawwww, i'm sorry sweetie.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search