totally off topic vent about internet

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
So DH and I bought a house recently. We actually put in our offer and it was accepted before we found out we were pregnant. So in the same week we found out, we were celebrating our new house and the pregnancy. Now the house is an antique. We are actually working with the Nebraska historical society to make it a historical landmark. It was built in in 1910and is for the most part still original, but the historical society would help us put back what is missing.the only unfortunate part of this house, is that it is in a dying town. In the early 1900s there were almost 1000 people in this town, now there is barely over 100, so there isn't much out here, including internet. So I have been using my Droid for all internet use. So I started making phone calls this week about internet, and this is what I have found.

I am officially on a new kick, its called, I HATE POS NEBRASKA! I miss the city, and people, and the ability to choose from multiple companies instead of 1 dumb company that wants to charge 69.95 for the internet plus 39.95 for a mandatory land line. Or 89.95 for hughes net plus an additional 10 for equipment and an initial 200 set up cost....seriously? I checked Wild blue and its no better either, they want 149.95. Upfront plus 24 for installation, and 79.95 a month plus 5.95 for something else, and none of this includes taxes! Windstream is available 15miles away, why not here?? Or TWC, also available 15 miles away...wtc!!

. I ended up speaking with someone else at wild blue, and they waived the upfront fee of 149.95 and for getting a contract took the price down to 55, it still seems like a lot, but cheaper than everyone else!! But because we are in the middle of nowhere, they can't get an installation crew out here till october 3rd *sigh*

Anyways if u made it all the way through that vent then im sorry and thankyou lol
September 10th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
Wow!! thats is very pricey. Did you guys grow up out there, or were you just wanting to live in a small town??
September 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Im not even from nebraska, I actually do not like this state, its terrible. Its laws are primitive, and its police forces are corrupted. We are in this small town cuz the housing market is falling out here as quickly as the population. Our house has 4 bedrooms 2 bath, a 3 car garage a full unfinished basement. Its on an acre plot, with a privacy fenced back yard, and many more great things, its beautiful. And it cost us 65k so that's why we chose this town lol. Our friends down the road moved here a year ago after they bought a 2 bedroom house for 7600.
September 10th, 2011, 08:47 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow cheap houses. I thought I lived in a small town. Moving from Orange County, CA to the farmers land of Oregon. Just one phone company to choose from, one cable company and on and on.

Hope you can learn to love your new house
September 10th, 2011, 10:04 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Wow that's crazy cheap. But, with some good comes some bad. Glad you love your house, stinks that you don't like the town. Hope you grow to love it.
September 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you look at the satellite companies that bundle Internet, phone and tv?

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment August 6!

September 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Super Mommy
Sux about the Internet
But wow your house sounds amazing for that price! The house we just got cost 300k and is only 900 sf
September 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
That sucks about the Internet but is great the house is such a great deal, I hope it gets easier and you start o enjoy the town
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

September 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM
There is nobody out here that does anything like that except for Clarks telecommunications, and that's the first company I was talking about. For an additional 45 I can get basic cable, but they don't provide digital lol.

My house is amazing it has original oak wood floors and trim and molding. Its fabulous. It even has a built in china hutch. Once I get my internet in october, I will post lots of pics.
September 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
ugh. That sucks that you have so few providers to pick from. Here, we only have one or satellite and they both take advantage of the lack of choice with big fees and contracts. JERKS! I'm glad someone was willing to work with you and bring down the price, but sorry we'll have to wait almost a month to see pictures of your gorgeous house!

September 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
ugh, i'm sorry. you'd think by 2011 they'd have everything done with.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

September 11th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
Sorry about the high prices. But I'm sure that if you add up your cheap mortgage payments with your internet/tv/phone bills, you get a total that is still cheaper than living in a bigger city with a more expensive house.

September 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM
We decided to go with a 15 yr mortgage, so the payments arent as low as you would assume lol
September 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
I find that when technology doesn't go my way, I get REALLY irritated. You're not alone
Have you considered bartering with the existing companies or asking them if they have any upcoming deals ??

Starting a clomid journey!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search