ER visit; still worried

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2011, 05:48 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am such an idiot for getting the flu shot. I had a bad reaction to it when I was pregnant with DS, and now I feel like I've been hit by a truck again.

I got it Friday afternoon at my OB clinic and within a few hours, my arm and entire back and neck were sore. I was in so much pain I lost four hours sleep. Saturday, I was still in pain, and I was so weak I felt like I was going to faint at one point. Nausea also appeared, and I couldn't breathe through my nose from congestion. Most miserably, I had a fever of 101.5 yet was shaking and shivering uncontrollably, I was so cold. What also concerned me is that Baby's heart rate was up to 175 when it's been around 150 lately. I called my OB and was told to go to the ER.

Got there at 9:15 and wasn't seen until 12:15. They gave me fluids in an IV, Tylenol, and Benedryl. One doctor seemed concerned about the elevated baby heart rate and one doctor didn't. I was just told to rest and drink lots of fluids. I left at 4:00 feeling just as bad or worse than when I went.

So now I'm home, only slept two hours, still have a 101+ fever. AND, now I've got a huge, bumpy rash on my butt. What is that??? ARGH. I'm trying to relax but I'm so miserable and worried. It's all my fault for getting the flu shot...

Anyone know what the rash might be? anyone else have a bad reaction to the flu shot?

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

September 11th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Super Mommy
Sorry I don't have any advice, but I hope you feel better ASAP!

Audrey Peridot
Born March 11, 2009 - 31weeks 4days

Lost one of our girls, Bridget Evangeline, at 24w5d on January 22, 2009.
September 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
awww Kelly i'm so sorry. Thankfully I've never had a reaction but i imagine it is not fun.

i have no clue what the rash is?? i imagine you've googled it and gotten no answers by now probably? I hope you start feeling better soon!!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I hope u starts feeling better soon!
September 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've heard of pregnant women having bad reactions to the flu shot. I personally have never gotten a flu shot. I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, I pray you'll recover quickly. For your information at a later time, most flu shots still contain mercury/thimerosal and that's what steered me far away. Whereas, alot of vaccines on the market no longer contain mercury.

Oh where was your injection site?

Since you had a previous reaction to a flu shot...here's a quick article saying you probably shouldn't get one. Flu shot in pregnancy: Is it safe? - MayoClinic.com

BTW, don't beat yourself up over it. You thought you were doing the best thing for yourself and the baby. I would just think if you plan to be pregnant again to avoid the flu shot and just up your vitamin d. Google vitamin d and flu. How to Use Vitamin D As Flu Medicine | eHow.com

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.

Last edited by themorethemerrier; September 11th, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
September 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I edited and added to my last post.

September 11th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
((hugs)) I will pray it goes away fast
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

September 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I managed to sleep three more hours and have a normal temperature right now, thank goodness. I'll check the baby's heart rate again later today and follow up with my OB in the morning.

The nurse did scold me for getting the flu shot when I've had a bad reaction before. I must have blocked out the bad memory, though, 'cause I'd totally forgotten about that reaction until they'd already given me the shot again. Can't turn back time now...

September 11th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. I've never been a fan of flu shots in general. Half the time they screw up and give the wrong kind, and everyone gets the flu anyway.
September 11th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysensei View Post
I managed to sleep three more hours and have a normal temperature right now, thank goodness. I'll check the baby's heart rate again later today and follow up with my OB in the morning.

The nurse did scold me for getting the flu shot when I've had a bad reaction before. I must have blocked out the bad memory, though, 'cause I'd totally forgotten about that reaction until they'd already given me the shot again. Can't turn back time now...
Glad you are starting to feel better. Did you have a reaction to the flu shot when you weren't pregnant or just pregnant?

September 11th, 2011, 11:32 AM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you feel better soon!

I always get sick when I got a flu shot, so I just opt out of it now, usually against Drs orders.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment 10/29, 1 hour GD test and Rhogam

September 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Now my fever's back and I'm shivering again. Add a sore throat to the mix. Ugh, is it Wednesday yet? Maybe I'll be 100% by then...

I honestly don't remember what my reaction to the shot was last year. It was when I was preggo with DS that it was really bad (like this time). IIRC, they put me on Tamiflu because they thought I might have actually contracted the flu.

I'm trying to decide whether to check my baby's hb tonight or not. I don't want to freak out if it's close to 180 again...but I want to know that there IS a hb, you know? At least I think I felt the baby move an hour ago...

September 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh you poor thing! I hope you feel better soon. If in any doubt just go straight to ER. Thinking of you and keep us posted.

September 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
no experience with any of it. i got the shot my last pregnancy since it was flu season, but idk... i'm sorry and pray that u feel better.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

September 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy

hopefully you can get some rest tonight and call your doctor first thing in the morning to see if you can get in right away

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran
Oh, how awful! I don't get the flu shot either, after getting it once and having a bad reaction (not pg). I hope you feel better pronto!
September 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
katiebug02's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had a flu shot. I hope you feel better soon.

Proud Mommy of Eric(11), Caitlyn(9), Aidan(6), Mason(3) and Eliana(2/21/2012)
September 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM
jennybunny82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're having a bad reaction. I am terribly scared of needles but with DS I was so overprotective of him that I went and got one... I don't remember having a bad reaction. Now I'm being seen by a military dr and they STRONGLY urge the flu shot but I will turn down the H1n1.

September 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OH my goodness - I certainly hope you feel better soon. I got my first flu shot last year when pregnant with my DD. I was worried something like that might happen to me, but I didn't get any reaction. Any ways, I hope you start to feel btter soon. There's nothing worse than feeling bad and being pregnant at the same time.

September 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
well i am supposed to get the flu shot the 20th but now i am not sure i want to...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search