Remembering 9/11..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
Where were you??

I was in 10th grade sitting in class, they started bringing TVs into the classrooms and they just turned it to CNN without saying a word. Everyone watched in silence. I grabbed a notebook and started writing everything down. Everything i was seeing and feeling. I didnt know what was going to happed next. They dismissed everyone from school and i just went home and kept my eyes glued to the tv. RIP to all of the 9/11 victims.
September 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was in 11th grade computer science class. We were having computer time, which usually meant goofing off on the Internet (including the teacher), when the teacher blurted out something about the towers being hit. I didn't know what "the world trade center" was so I didn't realize the magnitude of what was happening until we googled some photos. We were then ushered to the library to watch the news.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Super Mommy
I was with DH (BF at the time) at a little apartment we were staying at at the time. I was getting ready for class at university. I can't believe how long ago it seems. I remember walking around that evening and the eerie quiet of no planes in the sky.

I turned on the tv this morning to a documentary of the day of 9/11 and was bawling

Audrey Peridot
Born March 11, 2009 - 31weeks 4days

Lost one of our girls, Bridget Evangeline, at 24w5d on January 22, 2009.
September 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had just moved to Canada from the States, newly married a month. My husband was attending a Bible College on the prairies. I remember my mom calling to tell me to turn on my tv. The whole Canadian school shut down for all the American students (as well as Canadian) to watch on their tvs. It was weird being an American in Canada at that moment. I just wanted to be home.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
September 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
I was a senior in HS sitting in PALS class. We were all just sitting around talking, don't remember if we had the tv on or not but we turned it on when we heard the news...heartbreaking day in history

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 11th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't remember any other single day of high school the way I remember 9/11. I had worked in the front office and I knew something was wrong when the intercom came on paging "Mr. Ronald Reagan please come to the front office, Mr. Ronald Reagan." it was the emergency code for the teachers to know something had happened, something was wrong. I went to Ronald Reagan High School and President Reagan was long dead already.

I found my best friend who was talking frantically with her mom on the phone...her dad a colonel in the air force...who was at the pentagon that day (he was fine he was in the 3 ring).. Her mom was telling us everything and we ran to our media teachers room. He had a huge screen set up and the news was streaming live. We saw the towers fall in silence. As of now, that is the single worst moment of my life. Just knowing that there were people inside and now they were gone.

My poor mom, she was the manager for a audio visual company that did trade shows and conventions...and she had men all over the united states that were now stranded. She had three in Boston and one in NYC. And the three in Boston actually stayed at the same hotel as the people who paid for the airline tickets for the hijackers, they saw FBI and swat storm the hotel. I don't think she got all of her men back home until a week or two later.

I actually got to go visit ground zero 2 months later. We had plans to go to NYC for thanksgiving and we, as a family, decided not to let terrorist keep us from what we wanted to do. The whole city smelled like...smoke and dirty and death. Ground zero was still burning when we were there and all of the rubble was still in piles. I scaled a fence and tore holes in the tarp that was set up to get some pictures (im a photographer) than cried when I saw what was behind it. To say it looked like a war zone isn't anywhere close to describing it...it looked like hell.

Last edited by Bella11356; September 11th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
September 11th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was getting ready for school (I was a senior is high school) and my mom had turned the news on and was watching the story. I didn't realize what was really going on or that it was a big deal until I was at school and the news was on in every classroom. The teachers didn't do lessons that day, they just let everyone watch the news all day long.

September 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
I was in 6th grade social studies class. I went to a catholic school and the principal came over the loud speaker and told the teachers to not put the televisions or computers on but just to take a moment of silence. Then, we were all sent to the cafeteria where parents came in and started taking their kids out of class. Everyone was saying they bombed the world trade center...(whatever that was). When my mom came to get me we went back to her work. We live 45 mins from the city and you could see the smoke already come over our town. All the fire departments were heading to help as were police and national guardsmen.

Apparently the men on one of the flights stayed in the town next to where I live over night on their way to boston. Scary to think we could have stopped them, we were friendly to them, but no one knew....

September 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycane View Post
I turned on the tv this morning to a documentary of the day of 9/11 and was bawling
Same here. We sat on the bed in our hotel room and cried watching it this morning. I've never watched a documentary on it before, it was weird to watch all the events condensed like that.

I took the day off from school to help my brother move into his new house. We took the first load to the new house and my uncle, who is a finish carpenter and was finishing some last minute things, was listening to the radio and told us what happened. When we got back to the old house, where the TV was still plugged in, the movers were just standing and staring at the news. What a scary day.

I too was lucky enough to visit ground zero about 5 years ago. Very emotional.
September 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Super Mommy
I worked an overnight shift at the Gap in a mall near Portland, Oregon, I was the stock/merchandise supervisor, where we were stocking the shelves with new merchandise. We usually listened to a CD throughout the night shift. We had no idea what had happened until the first manager came in around 7 or 8am. He told us that the Wolrd Trade Center had been hit by an airplane. I immediately turned on the radio and heard that a plane left from Dulles (sp?) airport and was hijacked and I think that one was the one that hit the Pentagon. We had to continue working, and only had the radio to hear about all that was happening. We were all in shock. I got off work at about 10am and went home and turned on the tv and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I still remember the video and pictures from the news that day. I heard that the mall I worked at actually closed later that day because there were some supposed threats in the area.

September 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
as you may know, i quit high school to home school, so this is why i was home when i was 17 years old-- i took my 7-year-old brother to his bus stop around 8am. i wish to god that i'd gone home and turned the tv on, but i didn't, and the day is blank to me. i fell asleep on the couch til 4pm, when my mother brought my 3 siblings in. she woke me and i'll never forget her words: "there's been a national emergency. tens of thousands of people may be dead." and then she explained to all of us what was going on. i was with my best friend steve last night/this morning and we were discussing it-- he told me he was on his way to work, dropped our pal brad off, and then turned the radio on. my mom and my ex were at work watching it all live. my siblings (then 7, 11, and 13) were in school, not allowed to watch anything on tv. they remember it all though, even at 7 years old, that's etched into your mind forever. i didn't cry then, but i spent the following week at my computer, looking at all the pictures, names (the names are so hard-- cnn is showing a list at the bottom of the screen right now-- soooo many people younger than i am), updates. i didn't cry then, but eery year since it happened, i spend my days watching the special coverage. and this year seems especially hard. i've been crying all morning. i didn't know anyone, being out in SE michigan but we're all a nation and it's still really hard.

every year i talk to my older kids about it; i personally, think they need to know, and i don't get any slack from anyone who knows i tell them, so that's good. i don't think, at 5 and 8, they quite understand what a travesty it is, and they were born a few years after it happened. when i was expecting timmy, i was living in PA, and they announced on the news that we were going to war and i broke down crying, because i couldn't stand the idea of bringing my son into a wartorn world. it's just like, it doesn't happen here. that's what we all assumed, our whole lives-- it happens somewhere else.
god bless the 3000+ souls who were wrongly taken from us that day, and i pray that nothing so horrible ever happens again.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

September 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsquared View Post
I too was lucky enough to visit ground zero about 5 years ago. Very emotional.
There isn't anything like it in the whole world...knowing what happened there. I would love to go back now and see such a difference. I will try to find some of my pictures at my moms house and post them...one of the coolest things I took a picture of was a name badge from someone who had visited tower two. It was just a sticker and I stopped to reload my film and leaned against a building wall. And right next to my head was the name badge stuck on the building...there was no date so I don't know when he had visited but it had at least been there, undisturbed, for the past three months. But it was from like the security check in desk and said his name, what company he had visited, that it was tower two and what time it was and stuff.

September 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *krista* View Post
I was in 11th grade computer science class. We were having computer time, which usually meant goofing off on the Internet (including the teacher), when the teacher blurted out something about the towers being hit. I didn't know what "the world trade center" was so I didn't realize the magnitude of what was happening until we googled some photos. We were then ushered to the library to watch the news.
i'm glad they let you watch it i had never heard of the world trade center either.

and to joanna-- that's great that they let you out of school early. they wouldn't do any of that stuff in our school district, and i think that was a mistake.

September 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycane View Post
I was with DH (BF at the time) at a little apartment we were staying at at the time. I was getting ready for class at university. I can't believe how long ago it seems. I remember walking around that evening and the eerie quiet of no planes in the sky.

really? i don't think it will ever feel like a long time has passed, for me. it doesn't feel like ten years, and i certainly don't feel ten years older. i remember sitting on that couch like it was yesterday.

as for the planes-- at the time, i lived about two miles from selfridge air force base. when i went to bed that night, knowing that all flights were grounded, i heard planes circling around above us, and it scared the bejesus out of me, not realising that they were military planes. oh god, that was the most terrifying part of the day, for me, i think.
my dad works at one of the detroit skyscrapers, and his building was evacuated. we speak of it time to time; he and his co-workers running down the stairwells by cell phone light.
i remember going to the 2001 Family Values tour in October, and there was the antrax scare, and we were kind of afraid to go, not knowing if or when there would be more attacks, where... it ended up being a great, safe concert with kinkin park, stp and kid rock, among others, but it never really left my mind that detroit is a fairly big city, and (noooooo offense) we have one of the biggest arab populations in the US. I have to say that my step-family are Lebanese and Syrian and there's not a less racist person in the world-- but it's a simple fact that the high-jackers were from the middle east-- so please no hurt feelings-- i LOVE all colours, and i'd have an angelina family if i could do it.

then i remember going down to canada (yes, we're the only place in america south of canada, lol, that wasn't a typo, haha) on october 11th-- they didn't have all the rescrictions in place yet-- driver's license, birth certificate, "where you going?" and we were in. my cousin went to get a tattoo and i got my septum pierced since i was underage in the states, but not in windsor. we went to an italian restaurant and i remember wanting to suck my ice water through my nose, cos it was starting to swell and hurt like an sob. it was an easier time then, even though we were one month out of a tremendous tragedy. no constant fear back in, say, august '01, we didn't need the security, the airport madness, war... life seemed a lot simpler back then. my teen years were so great in some ways, looking back, before the big scary world came about.

Last edited by justjaQ; September 11th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
September 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
My cousin was stillborn & we had his funeral on the 10th, we all stayed up really late and fell asleep on various living room furniture. I'm not sure who woke up first because I woke up last, but it was already on the news. We were all pretty numb already. She had been trying for years and had several miscarriages before, so even she had finally accepted that this baby was going to be different - I can't imagine taking a baby to term like that. Anyway, so it was two weeks before my 11th birthday. I was a little kid who didn't know anything about terrorism. I was naive and more hung up on the baby. =/ Had the same thing happened today, I'd be just as devastated and terrified as everyone else was. And all the commercials have been making me sob. But just, at that time, I really didn't understand the severity of the situation.

September 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themorethemerrier View Post
I had just moved to Canada from the States, newly married a month. My husband was attending a Bible College on the prairies. I remember my mom calling to tell me to turn on my tv. The whole Canadian school shut down for all the American students (as well as Canadian) to watch on their tvs. It was weird being an American in Canada at that moment. I just wanted to be home.
awwwww. hugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella11356 View Post
I don't remember any other single day of high school the way I remember 9/11.
same here. i would've been a senior.

Quote:
I found my best friend who was talking frantically with her mom on the phone...her dad a colonel in the air force...who was at the pentagon that day (he was fine he was in the 3 ring).
so glad he was okay!

Quote:
My poor mom, she was the manager for a audio visual company that did trade shows and conventions...and she had men all over the united states that were now stranded. She had three in Boston and one in NYC. And the three in Boston actually stayed at the same hotel as the people who paid for the airline tickets for the hijackers, they saw FBI and swat storm the hotel. I don't think she got all of her men back home until a week or two later.
how horrifying.

Quote:
I actually got to go visit ground zero 2 months later. We had plans to go to NYC for thanksgiving and we, as a family, decided not to let terrorist keep us from what we wanted to do. The whole city smelled like...smoke and dirty and death. Ground zero was still burning when we were there and all of the rubble was still in piles. I scaled a fence and tore holes in the tarp that was set up to get some pictures (im a photographer) than cried when I saw what was behind it. To say it looked like a war zone isn't anywhere close to describing it...it looked like hell.
wow. i don't know what to say. i have never been to NYC in my life, even when i lived out in PA. it's on my bucket list, to memorialize everyone and everything at ground zero.

September 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife0702 View Post
We live 45 mins from the city and you could see the smoke already come over our town. All the fire departments were heading to help as were police and national guardsmen.

Apparently the men on one of the flights stayed in the town next to where I live over night on their way to boston. Scary to think we could have stopped them, we were friendly to them, but no one knew....
sorry to blow up this post. my hypergraphia strikes again.
that's quite scary to be so close to it all. a girl i used to know well from the april 06 Playroom lived in NYC at the time. ahe and her DH weren't hurt. but she would tell her story and bring us all to tears every year. the road closures, the filth, airline papers on her doorstop when she finally got home. i have to say something to her today. not that it can make it better, but i love her, and i'm sorry for the people who DID survive, esp. those who lost loved ones.

I'm sorry about the man in the next town. i'm sorry for everyone. i'm sorry it happened.....

September 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was at Uni in a computer suite and saw it unravel on a news website. Just awful!!!! Thinking of all those families affected by the devastation today.

September 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I was a senior in the cafeteria for my lunch/free period and there was an announcement over the intercom about planes, but the accoustics were awful in that building and we couldn't understand it. Some campus aides came to talk to us and sent us early to our next class as they locked down the campus. George W. Bush was reading to an elementary school a couple miles away and they locked down all the public schools in our county. I remember going to my next class, where I was a teaching assistant in a class of 7th graders. We had many kids who's parents were flying that day or worked in D.C. I just remember a little girl in that class sobbing because she was afraid for the safety of her dad. We were stuck in that class for a long time and we just watched the news.

It doesn't seem possible that this happened here, even 10 years later. I haven't had the tv on since Friday night. I cry at the drop of the hat and know that watching the coverage of it would tear me up. I barely made it through Mass this morning as the priest recounted the events and stories about the people involved.

I remember when I was little, I always thought it was amazing that my mom could remember exactly where she was when JFK and MLK jr were killed. Now, I have a new appreciation for the kind of tragedy that makes the world stop and makes you remember where you were at that very moment.

September 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feythful View Post
I was a senior in the cafeteria for my lunch/free period and there was an announcement over the intercom about planes, but the accoustics were awful in that building and we couldn't understand it. Some campus aides came to talk to us and sent us early to our next class as they locked down the campus. George W. Bush was reading to an elementary school a couple miles away and they locked down all the public schools in our county. I remember going to my next class, where I was a teaching assistant in a class of 7th graders. We had many kids who's parents were flying that day or worked in D.C. I just remember a little girl in that class sobbing because she was afraid for the safety of her dad. We were stuck in that class for a long time and we just watched the news.

It doesn't seem possible that this happened here, even 10 years later. I haven't had the tv on since Friday night. I cry at the drop of the hat and know that watching the coverage of it would tear me up. I barely made it through Mass this morning as the priest recounted the events and stories about the people involved.

I remember when I was little, I always thought it was amazing that my mom could remember exactly where she was when JFK and MLK jr were killed. Now, I have a new appreciation for the kind of tragedy that makes the world stop and makes you remember where you were at that very moment.
wow, you were close... i have to watch the specials every year, i just feel i have to. and yeah, i know what you mean with the jfk and mlk things. my parents were very young, born in 55, 57, and 62 (step-dad) and jfk was killed in nov. 63. but i talk to my grandma for hours and hours about the war and kennedy and so much. it's so weird to have this in our generation, and even that song "where were you when the world stopped turning?"....

about a week before 9/11 the power went out in our house one night, and we gathered as a family, my mom and 3 siblings, to play board games on the pull out couch by candlelight and it was such a special night. we felt so close and were so happy. and i always connect that to the terror just one week later. things can change in a second, and we'll probably all live in fear for the rest of our lives. i pray we have no WW3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search