Paid maternity leave

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The states is one of only 4 countries that does not offer paid maternity leave. This is bull****. Thoughts?
September 12th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Veteran
I believe that number has recently reduced to 3. That's among the entire world, not just the "Western" world, and the other 2 countries we share company with are Swaziland and Papua New Guinea (which barely even has roads).

I think it's shameful, and it demonstrates a marked lack of commitment to families. Both mothers and babies tend to be less healthy and have more physical and mental problems without paid leave (not to mention financial), and of course middle and lower-income mothers are hurt the most, because they can't afford to take unpaid time off under FMLA. Plenty of people are back at work 2-3 days after delivering - and that's not good for anyone.

We moan about the cost, but the cost of having unhealthy families is pretty great too. And every single other country in the world except 3 have managed to figure that part out without destroying themselves, so why can't we?

The U.S. birthrate is at an all-time low, and this will become problematic when we don't have enough people to support the older ones. Prioritizing families would help with that, but we make it extremely difficult to choose to have children.

Ok, rant over. I've been frustrated with this for some time now, and have done some research on it.

Deborah
September 12th, 2011, 07:30 AM
hoping4more
I'm SAHM and firmly believe it is very important to have that time with your children. It is a shame that the U.S. doesn't show the same concern... it really is common sense. My heart goes out to all the women who have no choice but to return to work promptly after birth.
September 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
A lot of places here offer 6 weeks paid maternity leave & others that don't have specific 'maternity leave' time allow for the use of all accumulated sick/vacation days. I mean I'm sure that 90% of places don't - but some do.

September 12th, 2011, 08:07 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
absolutely BS. not like we can afford with a trillion dollar deficit, but still, it's like the health care-- glad that got passed and hope it works how we need it to. now we need the medical mj (michigan just passed that, i'm proud of our voters) and gay marriage (yay for NY!!!) in EVERY state/country. that's just my liberal opinion, but i'm sharing.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Last edited by justjaQ; September 12th, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
September 12th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
when i had my son i was able to take 6 weeks off without losing my spot at work but none of it was paid ( well the 1 week vacation that i had saved up ) so yeah it was really hard having to go back to work. Thankfully my sister watched him so i didnt have to put him in daycare till he was 1

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
NY gives you short term disability for 6 weeks (8 weeks for a C-section) which amounts to a teeny tiny bit of money. Luckily, my job will pay me for 6 weeks when I take leave and I am taking 6 weeks unpaid, plus using all my vaca and PT at the end.
September 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I think its sad. Im a disabled vet, injured fighting to protect peoples rights,so is my husband, and to keep our family insured we have to rely on Medicaid and hope we stay broke enough to keep it, cuz if we make too much to qualify we lose it, but still can't afford to buy our own. For DH and I who were both injured insurance companies wont touch us without having to pay ALOT. So things like women not being able to get paid maternityleave after what we went through seems unfair to me. Even as vets my husband and I have toyed with the idea of moving out of the country.
September 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Super Mommy
It is a bunch of crap! How can we be one of the most powerful countries in the world and not have that. If soooo many other countries can afford to do it, then we should too. I have 2 1/2 weeks of vacation time I can take and get paid for, but I plan on taking more time that that off after the baby is here and unfortunately it will be unpaid. I hope we can afford it somehow.

September 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjaQ View Post
absolutely BS. not like we can afford with a trillion dollar deficit, but still, it's like the health care-- glad that got passed and hope it works how we need it to. now we need the medical mj (michigan just passed that, i'm proud of our voters) and gay marriage (yay for NY!!!) in EVERY state/country. that's just my liberal opinion, but i'm sharing.
Obamacare got repealed by the Appeals Court. It was deemed unconstitutional to force people to buy something.

Health Care Law Individual Mandate Ruled Unconstitutional By Appeals Court

Just thought I'd toss it out there. As far as paid maternity leave. I'm all for that. I also think that the place in which you work (especially if it's something huge like a university, like where I work) they should also have daycare facilities that you don't have to pay out the rumpus for. I'm glad I work in a place where I can take time off for my family and they can't give my job away, I just wish they'd pay me for it too.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!

Last edited by Girl IS my name; September 12th, 2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Used the wrong word.
September 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow I didn't know!.. that is crap!

September 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Super Mommy
I can't even imagine! I am lucky to live in a country that DOES have paid maternity leave, one year at that. We don't lose our job, our title, benefits or ANYTHING during that one year. If I didn't live here, I probably wouldn't be having my 3rd kid, that is just reality. In saying this, I recently quit my job of 12 years to be at home with my kids. Daycare was just TOO much and hardly worth me working my butt off. So here I am, at home and having another baby. I DO feel blessed and wish that the US had better benefits and maternity leave. It makes me sad really. My sister lives in the US and she has nothing compared to what we have....not sure how she does it!

September 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel very fortunate that my employer offers me full paid sick time (it depends on how long you've been with them, but I have 7 weeks saved up) plus 5 weeks of half time sick pay so all 12 weeks of my maternity leave will at least be partially funded.

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
September 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
I only have FMLA which holds my job I will have to go back to work after 3 weeks I want to save a week of sick days just for emergencies . But at least I have summers off so not to bad, and my mom just retired and wants to be with baby while I am at work so baby needs no daycare till he starts school at 3years like my son did. I am very lucky in that sense but FMLA is popo. If you don't have the days saved up your out of luck on the money end.

September 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Super Mommy
I am also blessed enough to live in a country with paid maternity leave. I couldn't imagine going back to work when my baby is only 6 weeks old.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search