I hope this question isn't too stupid...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this sounds really silly, but it's my first baby and I haven't really had to clothing shop for a newborn before.

I'm a little confused about baby clothes. When a baby, or newborn wears a long sleeve onesie does he/she need a shirt over it? People keep saying newborns need to wear more layers. Would it just wear the long sleeve onesie with pants and be wrapped in a blanket?
September 12th, 2011, 08:08 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It really depends on the temperature of the room I think. You certainly don't want them overheating but being cold is just as bad.

If you put your hand down the back of their neck and it is nice and warm, generally they are ok. When you put them to bed I think just a long sleeve onesie and a wrap is plenty, you don't want bulky stuff on them when they are sleeping. But again it depends on the weather/temp of the room.

They generally need at least one more layer if not two more than what you are wearing. But you will figure it out when your lil bundle comes along.

I find that Merino wool clothing and wraps are great because they breathe.

September 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Super Mommy
It is not a stupid question at all, especially if you're a 1st time mom. I agree with Sarah, it depends on the temperature of wherever you're at. You'll get the hang of it once your baby is here.

September 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mrs.Mikey's Avatar Kay- mom of Bryson
I always put a onesie on (short sleeved) as an undershirt and whatever outfit or even another onesie over it- (in the winter of course)

September 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM
mk, thank you all for the insight. I'm in southern Cali, and it never gets super cold
September 13th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I lived in oceanside with my first baby, so I understand that! The coldest it ever was, was when I cranked the a/c on lol but u will know when baby gets here, if he/she needs more clothes or less clothes on
September 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Sarah has great advice. When it's cold, they generally need one more layer than you. Oh, and get at least one package of little knit hats. For the first month or so, they need hats to help regulate their temperature and we always seemed to be missing them. Those and pacifiers seem to disappear. I still find hats around here and she hasn't worn them in a long time!

September 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Jillianne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I generally dress babies in what im wearing, if i need a sweatshirt, so does baby. For sleeping though, I always buy fleece sleepers and dont use a blanket. Also with this one I am getting one of these...
FP Newborn Rock & Play Pink | Compare price and get advice at Select2Gether

I rather the baby sit and sleep due to acid reflux in my whole family. Thought that was cute to share!

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i had a newborn in october so it was getting chilly here, but in north texas it doesn't get just SUPER cold, he was a little older when it got cold enough to snow and stuff. Inside i mostly kept him in onesies and pants and then had a blanket on him. As he got a little older i'd put him in a onesie, jacket, ALWAYS a hat and a blanket when we'd go out. Babies can get hot so layers work well if they get fussy you can take things on and off. THe only time i ever put a shirt over a onesie was when he was wearing a long sleeve onesie and then short sleeves over it b/c it was too cold for just short sleeves.

when he was sleeping he always wore a footed sleeper and we swaddled him for the first 2 months at least.

but like sarah said, you'll figure it out more when your baby gets here.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 13th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'm used to planning everything way ahead of time, but there are so many variables with baby clothes lol.
September 13th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I was always told "one more layer than you," but with DD, I dressed her how I'd be comfortable. Normally with a blanket over her clothes because I get cold when I sleep, and she did that a bunch.
September 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillianne View Post
I generally dress babies in what im wearing, if i need a sweatshirt, so does baby. For sleeping though, I always buy fleece sleepers and dont use a blanket. Also with this one I am getting one of these...
FP Newborn Rock & Play Pink | Compare price and get advice at Select2Gether

I rather the baby sit and sleep due to acid reflux in my whole family. Thought that was cute to share!
That's a cool bed for a reflux baby! My DD had silent reflux where she stopped breathing (only for a few seconds, but seemed like minutes!) for the first 3 weeks of her life whenever she bought up her milk she closed off her lungs so she didnt drown herself UGH was awful! Anyway I am destined to have some sort of reflux baby again so I will have to raise up new babys bassinet... but if id known about that cool bed I may have looked into it. Although prob not available in N.Z.

September 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for asking! I'm as clueless as you.

September 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Great question, actually.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search