Newborn Clothes sizes

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Hi Everyone,
This is a question for BTDT mommy's. When baby comes, it will be 40s-50s here. I have been buying 3-6m clothes because I figure he can wear them for a little while at least. What sizes should I be getting in newborn clothes. Should I even get newborn sizes or should I be getting 6-9m winter sizes too? I'm soo confused.

September 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
Every baby is different! lol I wouldn't buy too many (if any at all) actual NB clothes. February is the coldest part of the year here, so I'm planning to buy a few 0-3 months winter clothes, 3-6 spring/summer, and then 6-9 for fall/winter. Of course, all of those could change depending on gender and how big baby is at birth.
September 13th, 2011, 07:54 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Emily was only in newborn for a week and then she was too long for them. We'll buy maybe one outfit in newborn and then stick with 0-3 month in winter. I tend not to buy beyond the current season because Emily is ahead of her age height-wise, but she's super skinny. Right now she's in 12 month sleepers for height, but 9 month pants barely stay on her. I do a lot of shopping at consignment shops to save money!

September 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Maddox was in 3m when i brought him home, I had to return all the NB and 0-3m clothes. He also weighed 10 lbs and was 22 inches long! This one is measuring on the small side but very long already! She will have daddys long model legs!
September 13th, 2011, 09:10 AM
hoping4more
My daughter was 7lbs. 9 oz. 21 inches and wore new born for about an entire month! I would suggest getting a few out-fits in new born, generally you really don't need that much anyway, and you will probably get a few at your shower anyway.

Like someone else already said every baby is different, but I'll tell you what my kids usually grow into and when.

I say new born is a nice fit at first, 0-3 is usually a little baggy, but they could wear them. My boys grew into 3-6 at 2 months of age, and continued growing into the next size about one month early. ex. 6-9 mth @ 5 month old, and so on. My daughter went in the next size pretty much right on according to the size.

Here is something to keep in mind, I don't know why it confused me at first but it did when I was a new mom. size 3mth and 0-3 mth are the same size. So if you have clothing that is sized 9 mths, that really means 6-9 mths. I was so upset to find this out around 9 mths and my son only got to wear some out-fits about 2 times before he outgrew them. I hope that all makes sense. I wish everyone would just lable things the same way but they don't.

I don't think my daughter will be needing any winter 6-9 mth clothing as it will be months late july thru sept. she may need a few long sleeves and pants for the cooler days but nothing winter heavy. I'm all the way up in Mass though, so we are on different weather patterns, 40-50 doesn't sound cold to me at all it will be neg zero - 30's when baby gets here It is hard for me to say what may work for you. I guess just go ahead figure out how old in what month, and go by that. They general say that you should dress baby as you would dress yourself, and then add a layer (but that is when they are really young) I also wouldn't add a layer if it is like 80 out or something.
September 13th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every baby is different. Madi was able to fit in nb for 2-3 weeks. But she was in 0-3m until she was almost 5m old. It all depends on how they grow. Madi has always been a slow grower and didn't get above the 5% growth chart until her 2 yr appointment. I would get a few different sizes, only wash 1 or 2 items and keep the tags on the rest with the receipts so you can return them if you need to. Also keep in mind that different stores make different measurements in clothing, just like adult clothes!

September 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Thanks girls!!

I really like the idea about only buying for the current season. That makes total sense to me. The only thing that sucks is when we go home in March to visit, its FREEZING in CT still and here its going to be warm. So I am hoping I have the right size clothing for that, if not I guess I'll just have to buy some clothes at home.

PS. Old navy has the most adorable little fleece jackets. I may go out and buy one or two in n, 0-3 and 3-6 and get a gift reciept so I can return based on his size when he is here lol.

September 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My babies are usually 22+ inches at birth so I only get 3-6 month. I totally agree about waiting until baby is here to stock up on next seasons clothes.

September 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I was told with my son not to buy any newborn clothes because he would be too big for them so I returned all but 1 newborn outfit that I had bought for him. I ended up having to buy him newborn clothes the day we came home from the hospital and he was in them for a month. I keep asking how much this baby weighs at ultrasounds and if he sticks around the average then I will make sure to have newborn ready because I was told 9lbs was the ultrasound estimate for Nathaniel and he was 7 lbs 4 oz or 7lbs 8oz not quite sure but that's a different long story.

September 13th, 2011, 10:49 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
we found out a couple of weeks before he was born that he was going to be tiny, so even his regular newborn stuff wasn't going to fit. Only gerber and the carters onesies from target fit his tiny 5.5 lb body. He stayed in newborn until probably 2 months or so then grew normally until 6 months, at which point his weight gain slowed again so he's still wearing 6-9 month (mostly 9) and some 12 month stuff. He'll be 1 in 5 weeks.

I've seen kids stay in newborn for 3 months, some not at all, some that weigh 17+ lbs by 2 months...you just never know. I'd have a few things in each size. This baby is born in a different season but we're still goign to use some of the same stuff. I have most short sleeve onesies anyway...will be great if its a boy but even if we have a girl some of our stuff will work.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hoping4more, what part of mass?! me too!
September 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As everyone else has said, you wont know until bubba is here. And the estimate size they give you at the ultrasound is usually inaccurate. Just buy a couple of things in each size. You will probably get a few basic clothing items at your baby shower too.
I don't know about over there, but here the sizes vary between brands anyway! I had a size 0000 (premie) sleep gown which my daughter wore for about a month, but she also fit a size (newborn) gown in a different brand for the same time span. So to be honest its best to buy all the cute stuff once the baby is here. (although what new mum wants to go shopping when you are sleep deprived and have a tiny one to look after at home!) Maybe just keep tags on things until you can measure them up against bubba.

Nappies... same applies! They certainly don't fit newborn nappies for very long. Well my DD didn't anyway so don't go buying bulk.

September 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, every baby is different. Our Jojo was 6.3 pounds when she was born, and went down to 5 1/2 pounds. She didn't fit anything for a while - I sent my mom out to buy some preemie clothes for her (even though she was a full term baby). Those fit her for about 2-3 weeks, then the Newborn or 0-3 sizes fit her for another 3 months or so. She's little.

September 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I learned a lesson about buying seasonal clothes with dd. We bought clothes for her for 0 months to 1 year before she was born, all corresponding to the appropriate season. Well she was always off the charts big, which meant at two months she was in 3-6 month clothes, 4 months she was 6-9 months, I want to say at 6 months she was wearing 9-12 months, and so on... So alllllll those clothes we bought ahead of time we couldn't use because they were for wrong season. Here's to hoping that a future baby might use them.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM
hoping4more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillianne View Post
Hoping4more, what part of mass?! me too!
east coast, I'm in between Plymouth and Boston pretty much. You?

Last edited by hoping4more; September 13th, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
September 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Super Mommy
My daughter was 7lbs and 19 inches when she was born. The newborn clothes were hanging off of her. We had to go buy some preemie clothes so they would actually fit her. I honestly don't remember how long she was in preemie or newborn sizes, it was 9 years ago. But as many others have said, it really depends on the baby. Each baby is different and grows different so it is hard to tell until they are here. If you want to go buy a bunch of stuff, keep receipts just in case.

September 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
My babies are small, so I always purchase NB stuff at the beginning. But, it's always good to have 0-3 month stuff on hand, too. You have to remember, between poop and spit up, you are probably going to be changing baby a lot, so getting quite a few outfits will be ok.

September 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Super Mommy
I think every baby is different and all clothes are different. A few posters have mentioned babies close to the size of mine wearing NB clothes. Maggie was 7 lbs 13oz and 20.5 inches long and wore NB for maybe a week. Maggie was a fast grower though and her clothes sizes never followed her age. I agree with everyone that buying as the seasons come seem to work best for us.

I just wanted to through this out there too....I wouldn't spend a lot of money on cute outfits, jackets etc. in our experience (we had the first girl on one side and the first grandchild/girl/greatgrandchild on the other) we had soooo many cute little IMPRACTICLE clothes. Maggie was also a February baby and for convenience, comfort, and warmth she pretty much wore only sleepers until warm weather came around (late May-early June).

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
September 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Super Mommy
It all depends on what brand it is I find. My kids were fairly small at birth and both came home in preemie outfits that they wore for a few weeks, then newborn and FINALLY 0-3. My DD got big fast and was way off in sizing so I wasted a lot of money. Same with my son (I didn't learn my lesson) and he was TINY (12lbs @ 6m) and never fit anything on time so again, we wasted money. I'd just buy what you need for now and go from there. If you find wicked sales, then sure, I'd buy them but I wouldn't buy expensive things ahead of time!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search