Hubby got laid off yesterday

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
In a manner of speaking. He's been a Land surveyor for about 5 1/2 yrs with the same company. Work has been slow on and off for about 2 yrs so although it's been in the back of our minds it was rather sudden. He went from going to work like normal yesterday to their office shutting down and 'don't come in tomorrow'.....

The boss is a great guy and really was broken up about having to let people go, but a little communication would've been much appreciated.... is a few days advance warning too much to ask for? (Sigh) I don't work so Hubby's income was it.

Basically if work was to appear, they would call Hubby and beg him back, but you can't just hang around with no job in the meantime so Hubby is kinda dumbfounded as to what the next step should be. We live in a small town and there isn't any surveyor work open. So does he just throw all his progress and things he's learned for the past 5 1/2 yrs down the drain and start over with another career? Get something to just 'fill in' and hope a surveyor opening will occur?...... we're a little lost at the moment.

Not to mention a baby on the way that needs Everything cause this is our first, and insurance down the drain.

I keep reminding myself that God is in control and He knows what He's doing....

T&P appreciated!

*UPDATE*

Possible job on the horizon with Cell One.... it would be a really good job with possibly more money and better benefits REALLY praying it works out, or that the job he does get will be a little more income so he doesn't have to work two and three jobs like he has been...... I miss my Hubby! And he gets soooo tired, the money strain we've been under for two years would be nice to get free from. Thank you all for the sweet comments and prayers!

Last edited by HubbysSweetheart; September 14th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
September 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Ugh I'm sorry!! T and P's coming your way! I hope he finds something quick!

September 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Oh you poor thing. this economy sucks! and it's not fair what you and hubby are dealing with. MY T&Ps are with you both!
September 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Super Mommy
I'm so sorry this is happening to your family. I really hope something interesting comes up for him. Hugs.

September 13th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely sending prayers your way.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
September 13th, 2011, 09:06 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i'm so sorry. I got pregnant in Feb 2010 with my first and my DH was laid off in March 2010...he got a good severance package and we knew it was coming but its still scary. He did get another job in april 2010, basically it sounded better than it was, but he stuck it out for insurance and income until he was let go in February 2011. He was now unemployed AGAIN for three months (while we have an infant!) until april 2011. I was starting to get worried he wasn't getting interviews, and then april 29th as we were getting ready to go out of town he gets a call from a recruiter asking him about a contract position (i.e. no benefits). It was more money though so he considered it, and he was hired OVER THE PHONE the same day. AMAZING. HE really likes this company, its closer to home, more money, etc...so then in june i get pregnant again...still no insurance. i did end up applying for medicaid for pregnant women while we waited to find out if they would make him permanent. We JUST got news they approved for him to go perm two weeks ago AND he got a very unexpected $10K raise. Our benefits kick in 10/01. SO the long and short of this story is just to say that SOMETHING will work out. Will definitely keep you in my Ts and Ps.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 13th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
hugs
so scary
I dont know what we would do if that ever happened to us
bc at the moment we have no money in savings, a car payment and we own 2 houses

can he get unemployment until he finds something new, and was wondering if you could get some state help ( wic, food stamps, medicare ) until you get back on your feet

keeping you in my prayers

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Oh, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how shocked and concerned you are. I was laid off right after I found out I was pregnant with Emily. It was a similar situation where I knew they were talking about it, but figured I was safe with all my experience. I'm sure your husband is shaken by the sudden change.

While you are trying to figure things out (job-wise), you might want to get the process started for government assisted health care wherever you are. If you're in the states, it's sometimes long and drawn out process. Also, he should call and see what kind of paper work he needs to have to apply for unemployment. It took 2 weeks after I signed up for it before I could start because they had to contact my former employer. If I had known to bring a certain paper with me, I could have started earlier!

I so hope he finds something quickly and that you all can continue to do what you need to in the mean time! :Hug:

September 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry! I know it must be scary. I have no advice as I know nothing about the industry he works in. Is moving an option?

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear. My hopes and best wishes are with you. I hope he finds work soon.
September 13th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Is moving an option?? My husband is actually very slowly going to school to be a land surveyor, they r needed very badly in our state, and its a state job so comes with awesome benefits.....Idk if any of the surrounding areas that r semi close would have a surveyor job? If not nevraska state pays approx 75k for a surveyor fresh out of school, I would assume much higher for experience! And our state is CHEAP to live in lol
September 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
Thank you all for the T&Ps! You guys are awesome..... thanks to these prego hormones I am tearing up reading all your posts!

There are a few job possibilities so trying to focus on that, moving I guess would be an option, but we are 2 yrs into a new (old) house and in the middle of a remodel so considering that and the market we would probably lose money on the house. (Also, since we were apart of the 1st time homebuyer credit we would have to pay back around 7,000 since we sold it before 3 yrs) So...... moving isn't the Best option.

Thanks again for all the hugs, thoughts and advice.... will def check them out!

September 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ohhh how stressful for you both! I'm pretty sure that Christchurch NZ would have a land surveyor job after our earthquake!!... hmm no help sorry.

I hope that something comes along and everything works out perfectly for you. Try not to stress and worry too much (i know easier said than done) But it will all work out in the end.

Hugs and thoughts with you.

September 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
hoping4more
Your absolutely right that God is in control. Sometimes it's so hard to remember that and just trust in Him. My father is in the same boat. He has worked as a land surveyor for around 30 years now, and for the same company. He was top dog aside from the owner. Well the business just closed down, and I don't think he had much notice either. He isn't dumb and knew it was coming to this, there just isn't any work out there for surveyors right now. So he has been doing some side jobs around the area, and has been going into work to help clean everything out. At least his boss is letting him keep on to help in the clean up. Where to afterward though? He never had a retirement fund. I have another friend who has 6 kids, and her hubby was laid off for over 2 years. I hate to say it but he flew across sea's and worked over there to bring in the income they needed. He just got back a month ago, and luckily the union he is with had a job for him. It is only 2 weeks worth, but he's hoping to work hard and pray to God that they will decide to keep him on.

Not much I can say except I will pray for you! Remember God know our needs, and He will provide! :hugs:
September 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be out of work starting in November and it's really scary going from a two income family to a one income. We live comfortable now and I'm scared of what's going to happen. I can't imagine if D lost his job too and we had no income period.
September 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
Oh I'm sorry
That's really awful.. But things do work out!
I moved away from my all of my friends and family in the name of making a good income. We wouldn't have survived as business owners in my home town.
I really hope things work out, how ever it ends up panning out soon!

Starting a clomid journey!
September 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
Oh I'm sorry
That's really awful.. But things do work out!
I moved away from my all of my friends and family in the name of making a good income. We wouldn't have survived as business owners in my home town.
I really hope things work out, how ever it ends up panning out soon!

Starting a clomid journey!
September 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Super Mommy
Where in AZ do you live? We live in Prescott. While he is looking for another job, he can apply for unemployment and because he got laid off he should qualify for it. It's not a lot, but it is something that helps. Also, you will qualify for state medicaid pregnancy insurance. Go to your local DES office, or you can apply online. I work and get a decent income, and I qualified for it. Here in AZ they are required to approve or deny you in 30 days. It is a process to go through, but they cover everything and you don't have to pay a dime. And because both of you are unemployed you should qualify for food stamps or cash assistance. I didn't qualify for either of them because of my job, but you should be able to get it. Also, get in touch with WIC. It also isn't a lot, but they will give you checks for milk, bread, rice, beans, cereal, eggs, cheese and juice. If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to ask me on here or send me a private message, I have been through this too. Good luck, hope he finds something soon!

September 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry! HUGS! I do know how that is. My dh was laid off when Alex was barely 3 weeks old. It was awful for us not knowing what to do. Can he apply for unemployment benefits in the meantime? I second WIC and medicaid for help as well. They are great when you actually need to use them! Good luck hon!

September 14th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry. T&P that he can find a job he loves quickly. I agree with everyone that said you should apply for WIC and Medicaid....hopefully you don't need them but that way you'll be getting extra help if you do. HUGS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search