Wedding plans

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Veteran
I have no idea where to start... we have the date but not the place... we are thinking about the courthouse but does anyone know what that cost? I really dont know how to plan a wedding or what steps to take to get things together......
September 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd assume cost changes depending where one lives. Perhaps call the courthouse and see what they say. As far as planning I'm not sure about that one either. I suppose make a list of all the aspects you are looking for and tackle them one at a time. Maybe a google search on wedding planning, too.
September 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
Go and buy yourself a 'wedding planning for dummies' book. Book stores have heaps of step by step wedding planning books!
Also, there's tonnes of websites that tell you about venues and their costs.

I'm probably not much more help than those few suggestions, since I live in Australia!

Starting a clomid journey!
September 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally I HATED planning my wedding! hhaha.

You really have to organise the venue first, for both ceremony and then reception.
Then everything else follows...

..the celebrant
..decide on bridal party
..your gown/dress and the rest of the bridal party (will the men hire or buy suits)
..your shoes (make sure they suit your gown) earrings? Accessories?
..Invite list
..Making or buying the invites
..keep a list of RSVP's
..Wedding favours (a small gift on table, maybe candy?)
..Decorations...the venue usually offer some kind of wedding decorating such as chair coverings, table cloths, centerpieces.
..Florist for your bouquet and bridesmaids, groomsmen, any flowers for your hair, flower girls. You might want floral table centerpieces or decorative flowers around your venue
.. cake, decide on size depending on no. of guests, flavour, tiered?
..song or music to walk down the aisle
..music/entertainment for at the reception
..food for at the reception (cater for allergies or vegetarians etc)
.. decide to invite kids or adults only?
.. alcohol (beer, wine, spirits) Will you have a tab or will the venue let you supply your own.
.. RINGS
.. Gifts for the bridesmaids?? flowergirls??
.. HENS NIGHT
.. photographer/ videographer (book early as the good ones are popular!)
.. transport for the bridal party to ceremony, from ceremony to reception, to any photoshoot locations, and bride and groom to go back to their honeymoon suite!
.. table seating plan for at the reception, who will sit together so everyone has fun!
.. speeches (who will do one? Bride? Groom? both?)
.. accommodation for those out of town??
.. Gift table or 'wishing well' if you are kindly asking for money rather than gifts.
.. Hair and makeup for you and bridesmaids? Will you get done professionally or do urself?
.. make sure venue and ceremony location can cater for rain or shine!

OK so there is a list of what I can remember doing, I've probably forgotten quite a bit and by no means is the list in any order. I do suggest getting people booked (photographer, cake maker, florist, celebrant, videographer, venue, transport, band etc) as soon as possible to get who and what you want.

Good luck with it all! How exciting!!!! When are you getting married?

September 13th, 2011, 09:35 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dh and I were married at our local courthouse with just him and I along with his sister and brother in law and our son. All we had to do was pay for our marriage license and go up there and have a judge marry us. Nothing great, not overly dressed and not a whole mess of people and planning put into it at all. LOL

September 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Super Mommy
Congratulations! We got married in Vegas in 1999. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing, we planeed ahead of time. We paid about $300 for our wedding package. There are tons of little chapels there and I am sure prices vary a lot depending on where and what you want. As for a local wedding, I have absolutely no idea. I know that my niece got married in Oregon this summer at a nice venue and i think she said total cost for everything including dj, pics, catering, cake, etc was about $5000. My friend is getting married next month here in AZ and her cost is about $5000-$7000. It all depends on what you want to do.

September 14th, 2011, 06:10 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Congratulations! It all depends on what you want out of your wedding. Do you want it to be small and intimate, or a big blowout? DH and I wanted something casual and fun, we wanted to get married in my parent's back yard. Since my family is too big and we have too many friends, we had to move it to a larger venue. I hate to admit it, but ours cost $100,000. But it was really my parents choice to move it (the venue alone was $10,000) and they were paying, so I didn't care. My mom did all the planning so it wasn't too stressful. At the end of the day, I married my best friend, and it was the best day of my life. So no matter what you do, remember what is most important...the rest of the stuff is just a bonus.
September 14th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I we just got married over the summer, went up to maine, got our license and the next day had a simple wedding by the ocean (free) with about 20 fam members. All went out to dinner after and had a huge party when we got home for everyone who didnt go. simple. I even bought my dress at a thrift store.

Also I posted some pics last week you can find them on like page 2 or 3 of old posts!
September 14th, 2011, 06:37 AM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
My husband and I got married in a friends' living room with just us and my oldest 2 kiddos (from a previous marriage). She was ordained, so we got the license, she married us and that was it.

The first time I got married, I spent close ti $7000 on everything and never enjoyed it because things were so busy that day. Not worth it.
September 14th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! My SIL and her DH got married at the courthouse here in Utah. I know that it was more than the license itself, which was $50, I think they spent $100....but I'm not sure. DH and I got married in a church and spent about $1500 total on our wedding. My mom and aunts made a lot of the decorations and hung them up themselves too. The only thing I regret about the way we did our wedding is that we hired a cheap photographer and our pics are ok, but not great.

September 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
We were married at the courthouse and I believe (dont quote me) the license was $50 and the ceremony (if you could call it that) was $11 or something random like that.

September 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got all my wedding planning checklists from theknot.com But as for courthouses, I'm pretty sure it depends on the district you live in as to what the price is. I would google search your city followed by the words "courthouse wedding" and see what comes up.

I love wedding planning.

September 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
my twin sister wanted to get married at the courthouse but i talked her out of it!

we did a small wedding with family and a few close friends outside at a park ( free )
it was on a Monday they wanted their wedding day to be the same as their dating anniversary date! then we all went to outback for dinner afterwards

we then had a bigger party for family and friends the following weekend and probably spent less then $1,000 total on the place, food, decorations, etc.

I went to the dollar tree and got most of the decorations they had a very beautiful wedding selection

good luck and congrats

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I think the licence was about $30 and to rent the dress for the weekend was $400 (I was never going to wear it again! lol) and that's all we paid for.

September 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MReel11008 View Post
My dh and I were married at our local courthouse with just him and I along with his sister and brother in law and our son. All we had to do was pay for our marriage license and go up there and have a judge marry us. Nothing great, not overly dressed and not a whole mess of people and planning put into it at all. LOL
If I could go back, I would do the same thing! I think here you only pay for the license as well. So much planning for a 15 minute ceremony. I could talk a day about everything that went wrong!

My sister had her wedding at the courthouse, and she had an actual ceremony and reception. They charged her for it all, but I never asked how much. If you just go up there for the license, though, you're not going to be paying much.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
September 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OOPS! I just realised that you mean a "courthouse" not a venue CALLED the courthouse! Sorry for my ridiculous response earlier then!

September 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Veteran
Thank you everyone i just feel so overwhelmed with everything!!! My first baby planning a wedding for october 21st and my parents are driving down from three states away... trying to find a new job while pregnant and save to get our own place by february idk if i can do it all.....
September 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
oriental trading.com has a very nice selection of wedding favors cheap. Congrats

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search