Ideas for online baby shower

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I moved to Oregon with my DH away from my family in CA. My sister and mom are trying really hard to throw me a baby shower but aren't sure how to do it.

Idea 1 - I make a registry at Wal-mart and have family members send to the closest store to me and I get baby shower gifts. My sister wants to send out a letter saying I'm having a Girl (found out yesterday ) and where I'm registrered so family members can have a place to start with sending gifts.

Idea 2 - My sister thinks some how this is OKAY but I'm not too keen on the idea. She and my mom send out a letter to family saying that I'm having a girl and to send them cash and then they would buy me things and then ship them to me. Just not sure how that is okay since I think I should be the one picking out my babies items.

With all this I do have Skype and can have a babyshower online and thank my family members for helping out our little growing family by sending me ...

Help Me!
September 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I don't like the 2nd option. Wouldn't option 1 be better if they shipped the items to your house instead of to local stores? Amazon has free shipping on most items, and walmart has $1 shipping on some. Even if they have to pay like $5 for shipping, they'd have to pay $5 for wrapping paper and bows if they were giving you the gift in person, right?

September 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't have a shower unless it was in person, but that's just me. Actually if I could have chosen I probably wouldn't have had one at all, so I'm probably a little biased. I don't know, part of the point of the shower is to gather with the mom and have a good time together with friends and family. Without that to me it comes across as just asking for handouts. I hope this isn't offensive, it is just my honest take on it and like I said, I'm not a big fan of showers to begin with.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Krista, I think my sister and mom are just excited and wanting to do something for me. My sister gets over zealous and I need to tell her to butt out and I'll figure out how and if I intend to make an announcement to my other family members about where I'm registered or whatever.
September 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
I Think just make a registry and send card with baby's birth date and gender, and a little note. then whom ever sends a gift skype them or send a thank you. It it impossible for you to go home for a shower?

September 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I was planning on going to the town where most of my mom's family lives in then have my mom and sister meet me there. But my cousin has some major drug problems and is a huge problem in that town. I was planing on having the shower at my Aunt's house. Just not good timing anymore as my mom puts it.

But I have talked to my grandma and she said she wants to try and come up when the baby is born and I talked with my husband and he said my sister doesn't need to be involved at all so I'm going to talk to my mom about getting some sense into my sister.

Thanks for the ideas!
September 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i'm with krista, the only way i'd have a shower was in person. If they really want to do something sending out a little announcement on your behalf with registry info is fine IMO but i wouldn't try to organize it as a shower. Just let people send gifts if they want, a registry just helps them get ideas and it often gets you discounts/free gifts from stores too! There is nothing wrong with making a registry. Chances are people will ask where you're registered.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 15th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, nothing wrong with making a registry either way. Hopefully you can work it out so you can have a full blown in person shower.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
that's what I was thinking. Just make a registry and send an announcement. I agree it's weird to ask people to send me gifts as if I expect it. cuz I don't. But I'm sure alot will ask where I'm registered at. I just intend to hang at home and have a baby shower in town.
September 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
I am going to register with Amazon, they have free shipping, awesome deals and you have a Ton of items available to you that you couldn't get if you just went with one store.

We live in a small town where there isn't ANY baby stores. I would choose a place to register and then tell your family.... they will probably take care of telling everyone else. Plus you'll have a place to tell people if they ask.

September 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
thanks for the registry idea. I was just about to make a new topic and ask where everyone is going to register at. I too live in a small area. Closest babies r us is an hour away and closest target that's big enough to carry alot of different items is 40 minutes away. I'll look into amazon
September 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
hoping4more
This seems like a difficult situation. I agree that it may seem weird for some people if you are not there in person for a shower, on the other hand it's not like you live right around the corner from everyone you know.

I think that showers are important. They can help take a lot of stress off of the new parents. Not that it's looking for a free hand out, but it's a time for close family and friends to be able to bless you with items you will need. Having a baby isn't inexpensive, and the help you can get from friends and family is very thoughtful of them. There are some poeple who just invite everyone in the entire world... even if they really don't know them. In my opinion thats looking for free handouts.

I think that if you register somewhere like amazon, and say you or your Mom send out a gender announcement with where you are registered and let people make the decision for themselves. You could word something nicely saying the gender and due date, and that if they should wish to send a welcome baby gift they could do so through whereever you register. The people who don't like using registry's out there just ignore that and will get you what they like anyway. Some poeple may send nothing, others will be happy to know where they can look to send you a gift. I think there will probably be a fair amount of people who would like to send you something. It really isn't any different then inviting someone to a shower. Some people feel put out about getting an invite, some are excited, some just never even respond. My honest feelings though are that if these are being mailed out to people whom you are close to, then there should be no worry about it. I also feel that if nothing where sent out, that a fair amount of people would be wondering about the situation themselves.

OK and I just have to say that option number 2 really doesn't sound good to me.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search