Flying when 24 weeks???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
O.K so I'm off to Aussie on Oct 11th and Ill be 24 weeks (I think) it is an overseas trip, 3hrs 30min...

I've heard that things to be careful or at least be aware of are... flying at altitude can affect blood circulation increase risk of blood clots combined with sitting still for a long period of time. Sooo thats cool if I just get up and walk every hour. Perhaps wear some SEXY compression stockings?

But the other thing I have a problem with (especially descending into Brisbane airport) is landing and my ears/head! Whenever I visit Aussie and in particular Brisbane airport, the descent is very steep and my head and ears feel like they are going to EXPLODE! I have cried (as an adult yes!) at the excessive pain it causes me. But If I take a nasal spray a few days before, it clears my sinuses up enough for the pain to be minimal. Now being preggers Im not sure if I can take this nasal spray (flixonase) as it contains some cortisone. The saline sprays do NOTHING! Earplugs don't really help.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to take or if perhaps it IS safe to take that spray since it's only for a couple of days either side of flying?
I am hoping DD has no cold or ear infection by the time we have to leave because I can't imagine the pain she will go through if she does!

I will ask my doctor if you guys or a pharmacist can't give me an answer, but that means paying 40 bucks just to ask a silly question.

Thanks Ladies!!!!

September 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only thing that helps me is to put my earplugs in before the lift off (actually before they close the door and pressurize the plane), then keep them in for the whole flight. It keeps everything balanced for me. I know you said earplugs don't work for you, they don't for me either unless I do just this. I figured it out on a flight when I was pregnant with my 4th and have done it since.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
September 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themorethemerrier View Post
The only thing that helps me is to put my earplugs in before the lift off (actually before they close the door and pressurize the plane), then keep them in for the whole flight. It keeps everything balanced for me. I know you said earplugs don't work for you, they don't for me either unless I do just this. I figured it out on a flight when I was pregnant with my 4th and have done it since.
Oh thanks! Ill definitely try this!

September 15th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Veteran
I will be flying about the same time too!! Can't you just call your dr and ask without having to go and see them?
September 15th, 2011, 05:15 AM
jrs_mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Lurking from March DDC, I fly very frequently and ALWAYS get very bad pain and pressure in my ears while landing. What I use now every time I fly are these ear plugs called Earplanes. They kinda 'twist' into your ears, and they are a lifesaver for me! Works ten times better than regular ear plugs for me. You can buy them at the news stores in the airport. A little tip is to take them out after you have been off the plane for about 10 minutes. It lets your ears adjust better. I never put them in at takeoff, just one hour before landing, and it works like a dream. They are around $7-$8. HTH!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

September 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran
I second the earplugs.
I also have a tendency to pass out during flights when I am pregnant. Just fyi. The increased blood and the cabin pressure changes do a doozy on me. The first time it happened it freaked me out. I talked to my OB and she said "yep" just breathe! It has happened every time I've flown pregnant except for this last trip. I was ecstatic!

September 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all your advice! Earplugs will be on the top of the list of things to buy!

September 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran
oh I am afraid of passing out now, maybe I will buy the earplugs too!
September 16th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Super Mommy
I have my pilots license and it is safe to fly up to 32 weeks. As far as relieving pressure, chewing gum helps release the pressure in your sinuses. You can also try the val salva maneuver with is when you plug your nose and basically blow your nose without letting the air our, it should pop your ears, this doesn't usually work all that well for me but it does for some people.

You could also try using a neti pot to clear your sinuses before hand if you cannot use the nasal spray.
September 16th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Def try the nets pot....its sooo gross but works wonders!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search