Picking out a pediatrician ?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Laurenella's Avatar "Avery's Mommy"
Ok so I'm a first timer and I don't have any friends with young children either they are my age with no kids or they are much older and their kids are done and grown. How do I pick out a pediatrician? Do you just pick someone in your insurance and if you don't like them switch? Seems like such an important thing that shouldn't be left to picking one out of the yellow pages.

September 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my first ob appt. they handed me a brochure about one of the pediatician offices in my area. I have the advantage at the moment as my primary doctor is also a pediatician. I just have no idea when to call and ask if he still is taking new patients. I just asked my friend who had twins and she says she never picked out a doc. Just started going to one of the peds clinics.

Can't wait to hear everyone else's answers cuz I feel as stumped as you.
September 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
jennybunny82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I had this problem with DS... The hospital gave us a sheet of paper with pediatricians on it and said that we had to pick one to check out DS before I could leave the hospital. So I randomly picked out a dr (big mistake) I would probably check them out if you can before you actually pick one. The dr just didn't have a good manner with my son. He actually told us that my son has a small penis and he had a hard time with the circ. That is NOT something you want to hear with your first child and right after you have a baby. Then we went to the office a week later for his first checkup and there were CATS in the office. I swear to freakin god... CATS!!! I was so upset... I quickly switched my insurance over to Tricare (the military insurance) and never looked back.

Just my horror story with picking random pedis. Check them out first...

September 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Morgan85's Avatar Veteran
We have military insurance (Tricare Prime) and our baby will pretty much be assigned a doctor. I'm not exactly thrilled with that, so I may choose to switch baby to Tricare Standard so I can pick my own doctor. I don't really know where to start other than asking local moms who they take their kiddos too and if they really love them or not.
September 16th, 2011, 09:01 AM
jennybunny82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan85 View Post
We have military insurance (Tricare Prime) and our baby will pretty much be assigned a doctor. I'm not exactly thrilled with that, so I may choose to switch baby to Tricare Standard so I can pick my own doctor. I don't really know where to start other than asking local moms who they take their kiddos too and if they really love them or not.
We have Tricare Prime also and were assigned a pedi and we got a GREAT one and my son actually saw the same dr every single time (which is rare for the military) Maybe you will get lucky with yours too. There are some great drs in the military. I'm finding that out after being so doubtful and hateful towards them. LOL.

September 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
we got lucky. We live in the same town as my BIL and SIL so we just use the same pediatrician. He is awesome and works with several other awesome docs so if he's out there are a couple of others in the office we like as well. My SIL has scoped them all out for me since my niece is 6! haha You can interview/meet wiht them before baby is born to see if you like them, or just try them out and switch...also just ask other moms you might encounter...no one minds recommending a pediatrician!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 16th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Morgan85's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybunny82 View Post
We have Tricare Prime also and were assigned a pedi and we got a GREAT one and my son actually saw the same dr every single time (which is rare for the military) Maybe you will get lucky with yours too. There are some great drs in the military. I'm finding that out after being so doubtful and hateful towards them. LOL.
Haha! Thanks for the info...so maybe I'll try it out and see if I like who I get before I make the decision to switch!
September 16th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
The hospital normally gives information about pedis in my area. I chose a general care doc. Since I worked in childcare, I know he's great with kids, and all of the families I know that have autistic or other mentally disabled kids go to him. I used him once, and I hated him. lol He's wonderful with children, but he has no idea how to treat adults!
September 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM
BSandDsMommy's Avatar Mommy to three boys
Send a message via AIM to BSandDsMommy Send a message via Yahoo to BSandDsMommy
With ours I wanted who my niece used and they said to call before baby was born so I did and said she wasn't taking new patients but at our birthing class they said they'd give us a sheet in the hospital of all the peds and we cod choose even if they said they were booked so I picked the one I had originally wanted and have kept her with both boys and will have her as this baby's ped also, who ever you choose if you find you don't like them you can always find another

September 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
For my son at first I used the ped I went to but he sucked. Would not give me a referral to a dermatologist for his skin and scalp conditions called me a "paranoid first time mom" a million times. Sorry he may have been my first kid but I grew up with an asthamatic brother and worked in childcare I know when a kid is sick. One time he actually told me that my son was fine "Happy normal Nate" I left his office took him to urgent care where they told me he had his first and only ear infection. My child rarely gets sick typically when he does I just keep him home to relax and he gets better.

Now I have a great ped who listens to me I interviewed her before "hiring" her and she is great! I highly recommend interviewing Docs in the area before birth its better then picking a name off a list while in labor or right after birth. Also they should do the interview for free so it should be a good chance to get to know them and their policies.

September 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybunny82 View Post
Oh I had this problem with DS... The hospital gave us a sheet of paper with pediatricians on it and said that we had to pick one to check out DS before I could leave the hospital. So I randomly picked out a dr (big mistake) I would probably check them out if you can before you actually pick one. The dr just didn't have a good manner with my son. He actually told us that my son has a small penis and he had a hard time with the circ. That is NOT something you want to hear with your first child and right after you have a baby. Then we went to the office a week later for his first checkup and there were CATS in the office. I swear to freakin god... CATS!!! I was so upset... I quickly switched my insurance over to Tricare (the military insurance) and never looked back.

Just my horror story with picking random pedis. Check them out first...
I'm sorry... aren't ALL baby boys winkies...you know.... small...?? They're not sposed to be gargantuan yet!!

I hadn't even thought about pediatricians yet. I'm still freaking out about how I am supposed to pick a day care....

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
September 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Super Mommy
I really recommend setting up prenatal visit and go from there. Not all would do it but IMO the ones who will have the time for your baby once born will have the time for the baby before as well. Also make sure you look at all local ones, not just ones that are on a sheet from the hospital. Our pedi is not affiliated with the hospital(for his own reasoning) so the hospital would never endorse him. MAke sure you ask questions at your interview that are major things for you.... are they supportive of your vaccination beliefs, etc. I was really lucky in that I was doing clinicals for nursing school at ped's offices in town and got to see the behind the scense of them all. I picked one and then DH (BF at the time) ended up getting a job there a month before DS was born. I absolutely love our pedi so much. He takes the time to talk to us, the kids love him, he is thorough... I could go on and on and on!! You also have to make sure you feel comfortable in the office. The dr may be amazing but the front desk, or the nurse may not be friendly. You want the entire staff to be there for you. Also check and see their after hours availability if that's important for you. Our dr is a solo private dr so he has nobody for backup. If it's after hours you go to an urgent care room or call an urgent care office.... which I have never had a problem with because I understand wanting family time.

Oh and I wanted to add that a lot of the offices I know of will do a prenatal visit free

September 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Super Mommy
And one more thing.... your ped that you pick may not be one that does rounds and that is completely fine. I have to pick a ped just to do the newborn rounds at the hospital and I will pick right off a list b/c it will be a one time thing. Never will I see that dr again

September 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i got lucky with my pedi! i got a list from my insurance company and picked one and went in a few weeks before having the baby and filled out some paperwork and then she was there at the hospital after i had the baby and i really like her she is very personal and dont rush the appts!
she is also my pedi for Alyssa and will be with this baby so ive been going to her office for almost 9 years now.

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
You could start looking at pediatricians online. Even if I get recommendations from my friends, I look for reviews of doctors. I have had pretty good luck from that alone. If you are uncomfortable going up to strangers in public and asking about their pediatrician, you could ask other women at you OB. There are always women at my OB office with kids and I could easily ask them.

September 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i don't know, as my kids have always seen my family dr., who is also a pediatrician. i've been seeing him since i was 2. i would check people out online if i were looking, though.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search