Sleeping on your back?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
So, I was wanting to ask you experienced moms out there...... is it really That bad? It's one of the common don'ts in pregnancy that you hear about even if your not pregnant. I was researching it to find out when I needed to make the 'switch'..... I can sleep on my side, but my body Demands that I switch up sleeping positions or refuses to go to sleep.

What I found was a whole bunch of conflicting ideas. One lady on a pregnancy forum said her Dr. told her that if it was a risk (i.e. loosing circulation) her body would wake her up before it got serious. And it would become uncomfortable before damage could be done.

This made sense to me, I mean.... way back when how did the women know 'back sleeping' wasn't allowed? They didn't even have 'trimesters' back then! It would make alot more sense if one day, back sleeping became uncomfortable or you woke up with your feet tingling so you change positions. So what I'm asking is this..... Has this 'rule' always been a rule? Or is it one of the new ones....... I swear, one of these days once you find out you're pregnant they are going to stick you in a hazmat suit and feed you through tubes so that everything you eat will be 'safe' and you won't be 'exposed' to anything. It's getting downright ridiculous!!!

So, what has your care providers said about back sleeping...... and what did you Really do?

September 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Morgan85's Avatar Veteran
I actually plan on asking my doctor how serious it is when I have my next appointment on Wednesday. I have been trying my hardest to sleep on my sides (I've always been a side sleeper, never on my back) but since I've gotten pregnant, I wake up all the time on my back! So I don't know what to do since it's not like I can help it when I roll onto my back when I'm asleep. I figure that my body would let me know before it became a dangerous issue and would move on it's own. Who knows...I'll ask and let you know what she tells me.
September 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
jennybunny82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure exactly what a DR has said about back sleeping but I also heard that it cuts off circulation to the baby. I like to sleep on my back and stomach... so I got the Snoogle pregnancy pillow and sleep with it close to me to prevent me from rolling over either way. Works like a charm for me... and its so comfy and snuggly.

September 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Super Mommy
Well, I have never heard you aren't supposed to sleep on your back. When pg with DD (5 years ago) I asked the doc about sleeping on your belly since I am a habitual belly sleeper, and it really made my back sore to sleep on my back. My doc told me (granted a different doc than the overly cautious one I have now) that they can associate risk to just about anything. Sleep how you are comfortable, getting plenty of rest is the most important to you and your baby right now. He also said as a previous poster said our bodies know what to do. God made our bodies capable of this, it will warn you when something is wrong. Just listen to your body and go with your gut. Towards the end I also slept with a body pillow (just a cheap straight one from walmart) and it did help to make me more comfortable. Hope this helps to ease your mind. I found after a while I had to stop listening to all the warnings out there....you'll worry yourself sick if you buy into all of them.

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
September 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
It doesn't cut off circulation most of the time. There's a risk of that happening, but your body will move itself if it does. I had to back sleep with DD because my pregnancy induced carpal tunnel wouldn't allow anything else. Hurt so much! Before that kicked in, I was exclusively side sleeping, and I can tell you from experience that if you only sleep in one position, you will probably get a bedsore. Sleep however you feel comfortable, and don't be afraid to hog all the pillows! =)
September 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I loved the Snoogle, but I got too claustrophobic. I'me thinking about bringing it back out, though b/c I haven't been able to fall asleep without a pillow between my knees in a month!

I haven't talked to my doctor about back sleeping b/c I have never slept on my back anyway, but apparently sleeping on your left side is best for circulation.

I think that no matter how we FALL asleep, we are all going to toss and turn in our sleep and wake up in a totally different position - I know I always do. Short of strapping ourselves to the bed, I'm not sure this is something that we have total control over, you know?

September 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Veteran
I sleep on my back a lot, and I don't worry about it. My congestion is so bad that I often can't breathe if I'm on my sides.

With my prior pregnancies, there was a point where sleeping on my back became uncomfortable - the weight of the baby put pressure on something internally and it didn't feel good, so it just sort of stopped happening on its own.

So my approach is, I'm ok doing it until it becomes uncomfortable. I mean, right now the baby is 5 ounces, so I can't imagine it causing any harm. I agree that people can be too hyper-vigilant sometimes about all the recommendations. This is one that I think is not terribly serious and that your body can take care of on its own when necessary. I also agree with the previous poster who said that getting a good night's sleep is the most important thing.

Deborah
September 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sleeping on my back is no longer comfortable. It makes me have to pee! lol

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
September 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen44 View Post
Sleeping on my back is no longer comfortable. It makes me have to pee! lol
Me, too! lol
September 16th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor said it impedes circulation to the lower body and baby. I'm sure if it's causing any real issue one would feel the need to move, but yeah, they say after mid point of pregnancy to try not to make a habit of it.

I still lay on my back for a while when I lay down at night. It's much easier to feel the baby kick in that position. I get uncomfortable and roll on one side or the other sooner or later though.
September 16th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its impossible to control your actions when you are asleep! I wake up on my back probably 80% of the time. I just roll over onto my side when I do. I talked with my dr about it last pregnancy and he told me that if there was a problem my body would fix it (ie roll over). He also said that if I was really worried about it than use a pillow to put myself on a slight tilt, so I wasn't completely on my back.

My dd is perfect and I slept on my back through out my pregnancy with her, I would start on my side but after I fell asleep I would roll onto my back.

September 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been wondering about this myself! That and why the left side is so much better than the right side. I usually sleep on my right side. But now I can't sleep without the body pillow so I try to crawl into bed facing the left just to be on the safe side.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
September 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I have never been a back sleeper so not sure how dangerous it is. However, I am a stomach sleeper and am still sleeping on my stomach just fine the doctor said as long as I am comfortable its fine.

September 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
Me, too! lol
Is that what that is? Because I have noticed that I can go all through th night without having to pee, but if I am laying on my back to watch TV or use the lap top, I feel like I would prefer a catheter than to have to get up every 30 minutes! lol

September 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueFeb2012 View Post
Is that what that is? Because I have noticed that I can go all through th night without having to pee, but if I am laying on my back to watch TV or use the lap top, I feel like I would prefer a catheter than to have to get up every 30 minutes! lol
I can go a lot longer when I'm not on my back, too. Or reclined. Reclined is just as bad. lol Ugh, wait till we're further along!
September 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Super Mommy
My provider is very laid back on all the "no-no's" of pregnancy. She said it's better to me sleep comfortable and that my body does know what it's doing than go sleep deprived b/c I couldn't sleep on my back.

I however can't sleep on my back b/c when I do my bladder keeps me awake so on my side it is

September 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As much as I try to sleep on my sides I always wake up sound asleep on my back!
It can't be that bad. I'm breathing fine when I do wake up. I usually turn onto my side when I do realise I'm on my back, but I must be on my back for the majority of the night. I wake up with baby kicing and happy so I'm sure it's not too bad! I do remember with DD that well into the third trimester back sleeping was a little more uncomfortable, breathing etc. Sleeping in ANY position is hard at that point anyway. I wouldn't worry too much.

September 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
Thanks Everyone! Makes me feel alot better, it's hard to determine which of the 'Never while you're pregnant' don'ts are important and which ones not to freak over.

September 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A neighbor of mine had a scare with this. She was really far into her pregnancy so baby actually had some weight on her and her body almost didn't wake her up in time. She was sleeping on her back and by the time she woke up she was turning blue and her legs were numb. It scared the crap out of her. I don't sleep on my back usually so I've never really given it too much thought but like others said, how do you really control how you're sleeping at night?
September 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i've just read the books about ot sleeping on your back after 4 months, so i try not to. i woke up on my back the other day and felt bad about it, but it was fine.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search