Asthma during pregnancy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2011, 01:57 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
So I have seasonal asthma (only in the spring) EXCEPT right at this very moment, I am having some asthma issues (weezing, hard to breathe). Does anyone else have this? I cant call my dr because they are closed for the weekend, so I am trying to just relax and keep calm....its helping but its sooo annoying.

September 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No experience but that sounds scary! Can you use an inhaler, or is it one of those no-no's for pregos??

September 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
No idea, never thought to ask because its really out of character for this to happen this season.

September 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Use your inhaler! I have asthma (seasonal, in winter) I have used my inhaler both times Ive been pregnant. I usually only need one puff and Im all good. I used my inhaler maybe 10 times throughout the pregnancy/winter. Better that you (and therefore baby) are getting enough oxygen My doc said its FINE to use it.

September 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Super Mommy
I have had pretty bad asthma since I was 5.... winter/spring and pregnancy seem to intensify it. Inhalers are completely fine for it as well as nebulizer machines. Also if it's allergies that trigger it any make sure to stay on top of the allergy meds. With my son it got so bad that I ended up on steriods for a couple months during the pregnancy. It's much better to stay on top of it than let it get that bad. Also hot showers in a closed bathroom help me a lot (as well as my son who also suffers from it). This wk mine has been really bad between the pregnancy and the weather change (we were high 80's Tuesday and our low Wed was in the 40's!)

September 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Super Mommy
I copied this post from a previous thread I had replied to. My allergist told me asthma tends to go one way or another during pregnancy, either it gets better or it gets worse. Mine is getting worse. I hope this helps :

I just saw my Allergist last week. I had stopped all my meds to be safe and he wasn't happy. I was on Rhinocort nasal spray, Singulair for asmtha, and ProAir inhalers. He said the Rhinocort and Singulair are perfectly safe (as are Zyrtec and Clariton if I needed extra help). He said inhalers are still a "Class C" drug meaning they haven't had significant testing to determine if they are safe or not. But plenty of moms have used them during pregnancy and the babies are all fine. He confirmed it is more damaging to the baby to not have enough oxygen than possible (although unlikely and unproven) side effects. My inhaler is non steroidal and he said that makes it even more safe. I opened my mouth to argue and he said I could argue after the baby comes, my OB/GYN backed up everything the Allergist said. So I will be pill poppin, spray snorting, and inhaling deep until the baby comes

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search