Biblical name debate..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
I am a Christian, therefore my knowledge of biblical names may be greater than those non Christians, but the argument I have raised with SO and am now asking for the advice of non Christians and Christians is this..

Even if you do not look to the Bible as Gods teachings, is it not at the very least a great historical book?
There is two Biblical boy names that stand out for me, as I feel this baby boy in my belly needs a strong name with a beautiful historic story behind it, I've just been getting that "feeling" . For the Christians and those who have Christian knowledge, you may know the story of Boaz and Ezra.
For those who might not know..
Boaz was a kinsman-redeemer, he was the Great Grandfather of King David and he was a very wealthy man, but a very kind man (back in the times that Boaz was living, many wealthy men were wealthy for wrong doing and weren't very nice, but Boaz was generous and kind and wealthy for organic reasons). He married a widow, Ruth.
Ezra was a great follower and teacher of the Lord, he obeyed the laws. He was a very strong and wonderful man!

I don't want to turn this into a Sunday school session for you, so I'll quickly get to the point

Chris, my SO, is not a Christian, in actually fact, I can see his limbs tighten up whenever I raise Christian topics. It makes him uncomfortable. I avoid doing this to him at all costs, however, since falling in love with the names Boaz and Ezra (a very long time ago), I wanted to tell him the stories of their names.
But he shut me down very quickly... "I just don't like those names and I don't respect them the way you do, because I don't care for Christianity".
I've begged him to go away considering this..
If not any thing, is the Bible not even a great historical book and can you look at it as that?
The origin of names and their meanings are very important (to me). When you speak to your child, I believe that you speak the meaning of the name over the child whenever you refer to them. To me it's an affirmation, to speak some ones name.

When you look at a baby book for names, whilst there is some beautiful names in there, the origins and the meanings could never be as true as those names that are in the bible.
Over time, other countries claim names as their own and will often change the spelling, and the meaning. I ask myself a lot "I wonder if that's is true and oldest meaning" whenever I find a nice name via a baby name book.
The Bible names have great stories of (mostly) great people behind them, and because it is such an old book, it's safe to assume that, that is the most true of meaning to that name that could be found.

I just can't help but feel that Chris is rebelling against those names BECAUSE they are Biblical. Or is Boaz and Ezra gross?? Haha. When I told my sister I was considering Boaz her response was "please... no".

Some of you may say...I agree, some may say... If he doesn't like the name you can't force it on him, some may say... Meanings to names aren't overly important. I just need some direction, I am so passionate about these two names and I want to do every thing in my power to have Chris atleast consider them (I could tell in his eyes he thought Ezra and Boaz sounded cool when I first suggested them )

Starting a clomid journey!

Last edited by .ingrid.; September 16th, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
September 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Super Mommy
Hmmm, that's a tough one.

I am also Christian, but with no religious education whatsoever. I sort of understand Chris, because I told my BF that I did not want our kid to have a name with a religious connotation (the obvious names, such as Mary-Something or Christopher, etc.). He agreed with me, so it was easy. But it makes me wonder what kind of concession I would have been ready to do that if he hadn't agreed. I guess I would definitely have considered the names he adores, especially if they're as cute as Boaz and Ezra.

I'm sure that if you give him time, he'll get over the fact that these names are in the bible. Good luck.

September 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I like the name Ezra, not sure about the name Boaz (I didn't even recognize it at first until you put the story behind it).

I understand wanting to use a name that has a strong history behind it. I'm sure if your SO found a name he liked in any book he treasured because of the influence that person/character had on him it would be a different story. It seems that its just because the book that has made an influence with you is also a big religious symbol makes it negative to him. I agree that you can't force a name on him that he is sour towards, regardless if he would have liked them if they weren't biblical names.

Maybe you can keep them on your list and see if he warms to them, but you might have to go searching for other names that meet your standards. Good luck

September 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Super Mommy
I actually know an Ezra and they did not pick his name due to any religious reasoning, just because they loved it. I know people who have picked out names from famous novels, tv shows, historical figures, etc so I can see your view on it? Although I do believe the Bible is all fact and truth even if you didn't see it that way why can't it be seen as your favorite "book"? Good luck! Maybe one of them could be the middle name? DH wanted to names this one Noah but neither of our other 2 have names with any Biblical attachment so I didn't feel this one should either, although I told him Noah would be fine for a middle name. Good luck.

September 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is there some middle ground maybe? I understand being passionate about names. I'm passionate about all my (hypothetical) children's middle names which are family names. Maybe could you include Boaz or Ezra in as a middle name?

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
September 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
I like ezra there is a little boy that my son plays that has that name, I stick to biblical names as well my son is Aaron and this one may be Adam I really like Abel but hubby hates it.. so we will see lol

September 16th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I am rather fond of names that no other or little others will have!
I don't get excited about using our other more common names, but when I think of our unique names I get quite excited about the idea of using them
I'll fight this one until the end

September 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand wanting to have strong names and something that has a meaning for you. Have you asked him what is choices are for names and see if yall can come up with a compromise from there. I was lucky that D really went along with every name I threw at him and didn't really care as long as they weren't completely out there.
September 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Names are so hard. Not only do you have to find ones that you like, but someone else has to agree with you. I think you have two issues, the meaning and the name itself. For me, the meaning is nice, but it wouldn't determine a name. The sound of the name and maybe a tie to our family is more important than what it means. The names you have chosen are very meaningful to you, but Chris doesn't feel the same way about them, and chances are, he just doesn't like the name. Take away the Christian aspect completely, or think of a name that has no significant meaning to you. If he didn't like it, would you be so upset? Probably not. But since the child is both of yours, you have to agree. And if he doesn't like the names now, chances are he won't ever. It stinks, but I understand where you're coming from. I have a couple names that I LOVE but DH turned them down instantly. I have to remember that we're in this together, and it isn't just my decision. Even if I had my heart set on a name since I was young, if he didn't like it, I would have to understand.

Sorry this is so hard and I wish he liked them too, but I think you'll have to find some new names!
September 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
I wanted a biblical name so badly!! But there wasn't anything that I really truly liked all that much, or something that wasn't overly popular. And for people who are Christian, who know the bible, we recognize these names. Joshua, Daniel, Benjamin, David, Peter, Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John... ALL BIBLICAL!!! These are all popular, mainstream names that just so happen to be in the bible.

Boaz is a little different, I love the story but don't personally love the name. Ezra I love, and Saul, I love Saul as well. Sampson too! Maybe pick a name he doesn't realize is "biblical" or maybe pick something Hewbrew?

11of the top 25 boy names for Australia in 2009 are "biblical" I would challenge him to pick them out just because he knows them as biblical already, not because he looked it up. Which is my next question, if he isn't Christian at all, than how does he know what is and isn't biblical? maybe try to get him to go for one "biblical" name and one "secular"...

I wanted to name our little girl Ester, and I was turned down because "it sounded like an old woman" but I LOVE the story...anyways keep us updated!

September 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
Pick any name on the planet & you can find it in a book somewhere. I like Ezra.

But if yous SO honestly dislikes a name to the point where he isn't even willing to think about it, his reasons don't really matter. I mean, his reasons suck - but if his mind is made up, telling him that his reasons suck won't change it.

If your SO fell in love with a name that you truly would never name your baby, would you be comfortable letting him name the baby that anyway whether or not your reason was justified?

I'm not trying to take his side, I'm really not, I just want you to be able to find a name you both love and that neither of you will resent.

September 16th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Lol, Brittany, he does love a name I HATE!
He is a die hard Star Wars fan and he is serious when he says he loves the name 'Hans'.
I told him, we can't use a name like Hans, because he and I are both blonde and we're likely to have a blonde boy. My name is Ingrid and if we use Hans, we'll look like a German family (that isn't German?) hahahaha!

September 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ok so he likes star wars and you want biblical...

Name the baby Luke!

September 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Seems like a great compramise doesn't it? Although my best friends little boy is Lucas.

September 16th, 2011, 06:10 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
To be honest, if you are allowed to veto his favorite names, why isn't he allowed to veto yours?

Star Wars may be as important to him as the Bible is to you. You may scoff at that idea, however if your So isn't religious, the idea that the Bible is important to you may be as silly to him, just as the idea that Star Wars is important to him is silly to you.

So, if you really want to be fair, you can't veto his love for a name based on his reasons and only accept your love of a name for you reasons. You guys are both responsible for creating this child, you should both get a say in naming him. Compromise- start researching Star Wars names that can be found in the Bible and see what you come up with. You may find more than just "Luke", and you will impress your SO that you took the time to care about his interests, too.

September 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
Personally I think that Ezra Hans kinda has a really nice ring to it!

We were blessed to have found and agreed on names we both love Before we were expecting.

Levi and Chloe...... also both from the Bible. Maybe find the meanings of the names (I'm sure by the way you explained how important this is to you, the names you picked probably have special meanings/you think they're neat.) And share the meanings with him and how much they mean to you..... if nothing else maybe you could find names with exactly the same meaning. The meaning of a name is what makes a name special.... so the meaning would be coming from the Bible but not the actual letter for letter 'name'... maybe he would be happy with that? Hope it works out!

GL!

September 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Super Mommy
While I understand you wanting to have a name that has meaning when you say it, if your SO is so against biblical names can't you find another name that isn't biblical that still has a great meaning. If your reasoning is that you want it to have a significant meaning when you say it and your SO is not into religion, then making him call a child by a biblical name because of its meaning kind of undermines his beliefs, or non-beliefs. I am not saying you wanting to give your child a name you believe in religiously is wrong, but it is like him asking you to name the baby Hans after Star Wars that you don't like. I am not religious by any means, and I don' think the bible is a historical book other than it was written in the past. I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me, and I know as well that there are plenty of people that will agree. Anyway, I think a good compromise would be to find a name that doesn't have such religious undertones that has a great meaning that you both can agree on.

September 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM
How about Fido?

...Okay I'm being silly now

September 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inemlogi View Post
How about Fido?

...Okay I'm being silly now
Name him Obadiah and call him Obi...lmao like Obi-wan

And I did a real quick research on names in both the bible and star wars and only found Luke...bobba fett and jabba were mysteriously not in the bible...lol sorry Ing, I know your heartbroken. Although I did find a good blog about how star wars is a lot the same as the bible...the Jedi being the Christians, and Darth Vader being a fallen soul and blah blah blah

September 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella11356 View Post
Name him Obadiah and call him Obi...lmao like Obi-wan

And I did a real quick research on names in both the bible and star wars and only found Luke...bobba fett and jabba were mysteriously not in the bible...lol sorry Ing, I know your heartbroken. Although I did find a good blog about how star wars is a lot the same as the bible...the Jedi being the Christians, and Darth Vader being a fallen soul and blah blah blah
I started searching Star Wars Names and got half way down the page before I said to myself "oh this is rediculous, who is going to use THESE".
.......Then I realised I was on a "Star Wars Names for Dogs" page.
...........Oh dear.
I give up

So I have establish what I will not use: Jar Jar Binks, Chewbacca, Jubnuk, Obi-wan, Droopy McCool, Moff Muzzer and Sy Snootles.

However I DO like Lando, Arvel, Kenobi and Jax.

Almost all of the names in Star Wars are made up names!

There you, there's my compromise.. I've picked names from Star Wars that I like.
Now it's Chris' turn to comproomse.

How tough does this sound - Boaz Jax Leigh

Heck yes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search