How much is too much???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Love my unborn son
I was out last night at a bonfire. I had my friend get me wine to drink. I had maybe 3 glasses. Should I be worried that I had too much? What should I do? This is my second pregnancy. I lost my first one. Any advice?
September 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM
hoping4more
i have heard that a glass of red wine is fine. three glasses does seem to be a bit much to me... but i dont drink. i would ask my doctor what is allowed. the baby is still developing so it is a concern what alcohol can do during the developmental stage your baby is in. I would also consider how much was your glass? i know I say i have a cup of coffee but seriously one cup or one glass is only 8 oz. most people double that at a sitting.
September 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Super Mommy
hmmm.... First, I want to congratulate you for admitting you had wine. I usually have a glass of wine now and then at dinner, but until today, was to shy to admit it!

the thing about alcohol is that they can't measure the amount that is ok during pregnancy, therefore, they advise women no to have any. But I've been searching online even before I got pregnant because I could simply not imagine 9 months ++ without a glass of red wine.

Last fall, I remember, researchers came out with some shocking results. I quickly found this link for you, but you can find more information if you Google it. Glass of wine in pregnancy 'does not harm your baby' | Mail Online

I also asked my mother about her wine consumption habits while she was pregnant. Back then, they didn't know what they know today. She kept drinking socially and I think I came out ok. When my grand-mother was pregnant, women were advise to have dark beer because it had some nutriment (don't know which one...).

So to answer your question, I think that 3 glasses during the same night is a little much, but don't think it will harm the baby, especially if it's the first time you take 3 consumption in one night. I think the research's results concluded is no more than 2 drink at the time, or no more than twice a week (again, that's out of my memory, I'd read more just to make sure).

September 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Super Mommy
I honestly don't know how much is too much. But if you're questioning if it was too much than mabye it was. I am not a drinker at all, I hate the taste and smell of alcohol, so for me I think even a drink would be too much. I have heard that a glass of wine here or there is ok, but everyone's opinion differs. I think if you were feeling it, like if it caused you to be a little tipsy or not normal feeling then the baby could probably feel it too and I would think that is too much. Ask your doctor to be sure. At this point since you did have 3, its too late to go back and do it over again, but at least you will know for the future.

September 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i don't really drink either. i think one is fine but i wouldn't do 3 all the time.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

September 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't drink but I think as long as they were the 4ozs. a serving like wine is meant to be your fine even if it was a bit more, especially if you don't drink normally I am sure baby is fine.

September 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
Hmm tough one. There is no hard and fast rule with this, as others have already stated; it's unknown as to what measures do what exactly.
I also agree, that if you ask yourself.. Is it too much, chances are, it very well could be.

Doctors mostly say no, period. The reason for this is because they can't tell you a few is safe - they just don't know.

My concern would be is that the brain is developing it's senses ect around now. I'd be paranoid that the alcohol MAY interfere with development.
Studies showed that until a person reaches the age of 21, alcohol has an affect on development. I couldn't go in to further detail, because I don't have any of my nursing text books on hand.

I REALLY wanted half a beer last night. SO brought our favorite beer home, and we were watching my football team in the finals. I wanted to celebrate with half a drink. 3 sips in... And I stopped. I got the guilts and didn't feel comfortable.

I can't seem to bring myself to tamper with the unknown so to speak. I miss my wines and beers.. So terribly. But I look at it as.. I've got just over four months to go! It's not the end of the world, I'll have my body back very soon! (if I can express, ofcourse, he he).

I'd recommend speaking with your doctor/midwife/obstetrician. They'll give you the best answer!

Starting a clomid journey!
September 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am personally too scared to even have a sip of wine. So you can imagine my opinion on 3 glasses.

However i'm a pregnancy 'goodie too shoes' Although I have had McDonalds AND pizza hut this week! NAUGHTY

I too have heard that the occasional wine here and there is fine. But I wouldn't be doing it too often and probably not 3 in one night.

Baby will be absolutely fine. Just dont make a habit of it???

September 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think as long as three glasses of wine isn't a habit, you should be fine. I think an occasional glass is fine but that's just me.
September 17th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Love my unborn son
I honestly didn't even feel it. I was sober. I mean I guess I was just trying to get my mind off of the things going on around me with my ex (the babys father). We broke up and I needed an out.
September 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Super Mommy
I'm sorry about that! Must be hard breaking up with someone during pregnancy... Stay strong!

September 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
I'm gonna say 3 glasses is probably too much.IDK that it will hurt you to do once but i wouldn't do it again. I'd honestly not be comfortable having one, even though i know its fine. It's a personal decision for sure and just not one that I would make for myself. The rule with breastfeeding is if you feel it, baby gets the effects from it. I know even one glass would do me in.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!

Last edited by jensma; September 17th, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
September 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
You may have been sober but your baby was not. I have very strong options about this that may ruffle feathers so I will leave it at that.

Sorry for your break up. I can imagine it is stressful especially being pregnant.

Tiffany
September 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I would personally not even have one but again this is a VERY personal choice

I agree with maybe talking to your OB
5 time HG survivor, AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 01/11/05, Kaiah 7 1/2 07/1/06,
Kayda 6 01/12/08, Katara 2 02/10/12
Korra 10/10/13
September 17th, 2011, 04:26 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
I think you really need to talk to your doc about this, especially if you are drinking alcohol to relieve stress and you are under a lot of stress. you mentioned your miscarriage. I'm curiously to know why. deep down, do you know the answer to the thread question you posted? I'm sure you don't want to harm your baby. I'd just talk to a doctor as soon as you can because I think you might be hurting your little precious baby.

And don't trust the UK Daily Mail paper. As a newspaper reporter, I know for a fact they are not an ethical organization. you need to go to trusted source, an OBGYN.
BSandDsMommy's Avatar Mommy to three boys
Send a message via AIM to BSandDsMommy Send a message via Yahoo to BSandDsMommy
I wouldn't have one either, but I don't drink....sorry about the break up

aogilvie's Avatar Super Mommy
I heard that if you're going to have the occasional glass of wine, try and keep it in the third trimester.

I'm really sorry to hear about your ex. Hopefully, situations like that won't be happening much for the remainder of your pregnancy. Keep your chin up.
TTC #1 with Endometriosis & Antiphospholipid Syndrome since December 2008
Dec 2008 - April 2010 #17 Natural cycles
May 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
June 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
July 2010 - IUI + clomid 100mg BFN
Sept/OC 2010 - IVF #1 (1 embryo transfered; none to freeze) BFP!!!
Oct 25 2010 - First ultrasound at 6.5 weeks TWO HEARTBEATS!!! The embryo split; we're having identical twins!!!
Nov 30 2010 - Ultrasound at 11 weeks; no heartbeats & no growth past 9 weeks
Dec 2 - D&C#1
Dec 7 2010 - D&C#2
Dec 22 2010 through current - Weekly acupuncture treatment
May/June 2011 - IVF#2 with acupuncture (1 embryo transferred; 4 embies on ice!!!) BFP!!!
June 29 2011 - First ultrasound at 7.0 weeks. Everything looks great so far!

July 18, 2011 - Second ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. Baby is doing great!

Feb 10 2012 - Molly Eileen arrived at 7lbs 11oz and 19inches!!!
September 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
Look, I don't care what has happened in your life, you don't endanger the life of your child over it! Sorry, but one serving of wine is 5 oz. If you had THREE glasses, you had way more than one serving, and you are therefore putting your baby at risk for fetal alcohol syndrome. Do you want to be responsible for your child having to struggle their ENTIRE LIFE because you were having a MOMENT of weakness in yours???

If I were you, I would seek counseling and pronto. Obviously, you need help dealing with your stress and your break up. Turning to alcohol isn't the answer. Even if YOU didn't feel it, that doesn't mean your baby didn't. You won't have any idea of the damage you may have done until your baby is born. Next time you decide to turn to alcohol, just ask yourself if it's more worth it than the health of your child.

September 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM
mommy2kenzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like previous posts, I am not comfortable having even one drop of alcohol while pregnant. I was never a big drinker before and abstaining from it doesn't affect me during pregnancy. I agree that 3 glasses of wine was probably too much and you may need to talk to your doctor about the stress you're dealing with. Sorry about the breakup.

siggy by Jaidynsmum
September 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM
aogilvie's Avatar Super Mommy
For your health and happiness and for those who share this board, please don't take personally the opinion expressed in post #18. We are here to support and truly listen to one another, celebrate and mourn (if necessary) with eachother, and that is all. Thank you for posting your post and please continue to do so with no reservations.
TTC #1 with Endometriosis & Antiphospholipid Syndrome since December 2008
Dec 2008 - April 2010 #17 Natural cycles
May 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
June 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
July 2010 - IUI + clomid 100mg BFN
Sept/OC 2010 - IVF #1 (1 embryo transfered; none to freeze) BFP!!!
Oct 25 2010 - First ultrasound at 6.5 weeks TWO HEARTBEATS!!! The embryo split; we're having identical twins!!!
Nov 30 2010 - Ultrasound at 11 weeks; no heartbeats & no growth past 9 weeks
Dec 2 - D&C#1
Dec 7 2010 - D&C#2
Dec 22 2010 through current - Weekly acupuncture treatment
May/June 2011 - IVF#2 with acupuncture (1 embryo transferred; 4 embies on ice!!!) BFP!!!
June 29 2011 - First ultrasound at 7.0 weeks. Everything looks great so far!

July 18, 2011 - Second ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. Baby is doing great!

Feb 10 2012 - Molly Eileen arrived at 7lbs 11oz and 19inches!!!
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search