advice please......

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
Any advice will be helpful, ds has been sick so for about a week now I have been trying to avoid getting sick myself. Well job failed. I already feel like poo sore throat stuffy nose and head. What makes it worse is that I am a teacher so I tend to get sick from my students as well, does anyone have any natural remedies to help that are safe for baby. I am doing tea with lemon and garggling with listerine. Any other suggestions will be appriciated.

September 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well Tylenol is fine to take for headaches etc. Drink HEAPS of water. Saline rinse for nasal congestion. Most throat lozenges are safe. And REST as much as it is possible for a working mum! I hope you feel better soon!

September 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Vitamin D3 - How to Use Vitamin D As Flu Medicine | eHow.com

I know the article says flu, but works for colds as well. I give my kids 4000iu each day and no one has gotten sick at school so far. I take anywhere from 4000iu-6000iu daily.

This is the brand I get. Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com

I just drop it into my kids' water, juice or milk. No one has complained about the taste. We use to do vitamin d gummies, but the kids thought it was candy and I didn't want anyone tempted to eat them all.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
September 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
My midwife also recommended to up vitamin C intake when I was sick. Didn't really give me a limit. Just said to take extra and it was fine.

Tiffany
September 19th, 2011, 12:13 AM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
Garlic & ginger!

Starting a clomid journey!
September 19th, 2011, 12:41 AM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Be careful with the vitamin D3. Depending on where you live you could be getting too much of it since it's naturally synthesized in the skin through sunlight.

It's a fat soluble vitamin so excesses are not washed out throughout the day in urine like for example, vitamin C. The excesses are stored in body fat which can lead to Vitamin D toxicity.

It's advised that an adult (non pregnant) female take average 600 (15 mcg) IU per day and toxicity can be achieved with as little as 5,000 (125 mcg) IU daily.

Most people already get enough D3 from sunlight and food so adding a high-dose vitamin supplement can be rather dangerous.

"Having too much vitamin D in your system could leave a too elevated calcium level, a lower appetite, increased thirst, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, abdominal pain. A long-term effect of too much vitamin D is the deposit of calcium in soft tissues of the body including the blood vessel walls and kidneys where it can cause serious damage."

Please be careful when taking added supplements and always be sure to check with your Dr first! Especially at such a sensitive time as pregnancy.

September 19th, 2011, 01:16 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Garlic supplement for sure. It has natural antiviral and antibacterial qualities. Not to say that it is a replacement for medicine, but it might help your body fight it. When I was teaching, I took garlic supplements while I was pregnant and only managed to get one cold. I really hope you feel better. There is nothing worse than being sick and pregnant and schools are like germ mine fields...

September 19th, 2011, 01:20 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For a sore throat, gargle with hot salt water.
September 19th, 2011, 05:52 AM
aogilvie's Avatar Super Mommy
As Sarah mentioned, saline solution and a neti pot for nasal congestion. It's weird to begin with if you've never done it before, but it works like a charm. You can get the pot in any CVS or Walgreens.
TTC #1 with Endometriosis & Antiphospholipid Syndrome since December 2008
Dec 2008 - April 2010 #17 Natural cycles
May 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
June 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
July 2010 - IUI + clomid 100mg BFN
Sept/OC 2010 - IVF #1 (1 embryo transfered; none to freeze) BFP!!!
Oct 25 2010 - First ultrasound at 6.5 weeks TWO HEARTBEATS!!! The embryo split; we're having identical twins!!!
Nov 30 2010 - Ultrasound at 11 weeks; no heartbeats & no growth past 9 weeks
Dec 2 - D&C#1
Dec 7 2010 - D&C#2
Dec 22 2010 through current - Weekly acupuncture treatment
May/June 2011 - IVF#2 with acupuncture (1 embryo transferred; 4 embies on ice!!!) BFP!!!
June 29 2011 - First ultrasound at 7.0 weeks. Everything looks great so far!

July 18, 2011 - Second ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. Baby is doing great!

Feb 10 2012 - Molly Eileen arrived at 7lbs 11oz and 19inches!!!
September 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
I have no advice, but hope you feel better very soon!
September 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wish I had better advice. I always just get a lot of rest, good nutrition, and lots of fluids. Basically, I let it run its course.
September 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Jillianne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love a good neti pot rinse, deffinetly should try that!

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you so much ladies I will do some of these they sound good. I was curious about that neti pot I will have to send dh for one when he gets home.

September 19th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Zinc and echinasa (I totally spelled that wrong lol) they will help u get better faster and help prevent u from getting sick in the first place u can get em at most any place that sells herbal supplements
September 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Shannon1978's Avatar ~Formerly Donkey Lemonade
I am a teacher too! My students (second grade) have had nasty colds for weeks now. I, knock on wood, have not got sick yet!

No advice here......sorry!
September 22nd, 2011, 04:46 AM
Then i'm cold i'm using this products "Dr. E. Simkunaite herbal tea - Herbal tea for flue treatment", from balticmagic.eu. they help me much faster then medicals.
September 22nd, 2011, 05:06 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Gargle with salt and warm water for your throat, and take some tylenol or acetaminophen.

September 22nd, 2011, 05:54 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Full hands...Full ❤
Everyone has given good advice already, just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon!

Mindy ~ Mom to Dharma ~11
Leilani ~9
Dylan ~ 6
Malachi ~3
Delilah ~5 months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search