Anyone have WIC?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
LShumate1010's Avatar Super Mommy
We are military and I want to apply soon. I heard its a great program. Any advice or stories/tips on it?
September 19th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i had it with my son ( 9 years ago ) and i loved it! it was wonderful and really helped out alot! you got milk, cheese, juice during pregnancy and then formula after baby was born it was a HUGE help

with my daughter ( 4 years ago ) we didnt qualify for WIC and wont this time either but it was really helpful so i would recommand it for anyone who qualifies for it

you gotta go in and i think they gave you a 3 month supply of coupons that you can use at stores that take wic

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah I will have to call and make an appointment to see if I get accepted but i heard it is great and really helps.
September 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i think they have a website you can go on to see a income chart based on how many people you have living in your house! that way you can have an idea before you go in

September 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Thank you so much for your help.
September 19th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I was going to apply for it, too. I haven't gone in because it's just so hard being away from home when I am so sick all the time. I need to try because I go through juice like no one's business. lol

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
September 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM
It says 27k for 2 people...there is no way. Last year together my husband and I made 19k. I sure hope we get this.
September 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i think you should get it then

and most of the time if you are a first time parent you can get accepted right away also

i think as long as you make under that limit then you will be fine

September 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
MuffinMama's Avatar First Time Mama :)
Send a message via AIM to MuffinMama
I'm actually applying for it sometime this week as well. Though, I get pretty confused when it comes to this sort of stuff. Maybe it's just the state I live in... When trying to apply for help before, they didn't consider my SO and I a 2 person household because we weren't married, but factored his income in regardless. Not sure how THAT makes sense... *shrug* But hopefully for WIC it will be different/work out.

Good luck! And thanks for this post, helped me out, too!
September 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had it with my first son, but now we make too much for the household. lucky i chose to breastfeed this time, that saved me hundreds on formula!
September 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Super Mommy
I got it for my son. I lived at home still but the case worker said since I was pregnant I was my own entity and that they would not use my dad or stepmoms income to go against me.

It was nice during my pregnancy and afterwards it was nice for the formula... I think you can also get a manual pump as well if bf'ing. Once Dh and I were living together and I had graduated nursing school and was working for real we no longer qualified but it is a great program.

September 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Im on it, and I love it. For this state if u r on Medicaid they automatically accept u, and don't ask questions about income. It saves us about 100 a month. We get Wic checks for milk, cheese, peanut butter, cereal, bread, fruit/veggies, juice, beans, and tortillas. My daughter is under 5 so we get it for the both of us. Very worth it!
September 19th, 2011, 01:07 PM
mommy2kenzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of the first things I did when I found out about this pregnancy, was to get back on WIC. We had it with DD and it really helps with formula costs, even though you still end up running out before you get your next checks. We barely qualified this time, but make sure they count you as 2 people! That's what helped us. They even said if breastfeeding works out, that they will get me a new pump. It helps a lot!

siggy by Jaidynsmum
September 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it for a month then went in to get my next months checks. took proof of income and we don't qualify. Not nice. Ugh. Oh well, I'm sure it will work out for you!
September 19th, 2011, 01:20 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
I need to get on WIC!!! DH and I thought we would have to wait til baby is here, guess not!!! The things the Marine Corps doesnt tell us...

September 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife0702 View Post
I need to get on WIC!!! DH and I thought we would have to wait til baby is here, guess not!!! The things the Marine Corps doesnt tell us...
nope if you qualify you can get it as soon as you have a doctor confirmed pregnancy!

September 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
jennybunny82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Funny you mentioned it... We are military also and I just got back from my first WIC appt from getting transfered from Kentucky. We qualify as a 5 member family, including the baby in my belly. LOL.

September 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Super Mommy
I currently have it. I automatically qualified because I am on state insurance for the pregnancy. So I am not sure what kind of info they need for you to qualify. I think because you are pregnant they consider the baby a person in your household as well as you and your husband. Call them ahead of time to make an appointment and find out what you need to bring in. The checks they give me are worth about $20 each for the items they list (milk, bread, beans, juice, tortillas, rice, peanut butter and probably more I am forgetting) and $5 each for fruits/veggies. I get 2 checks for the milk bread, ect. and 2 for fruits/veggies a month. They give me checks for 2 months at a time, so I have to go back into the office every 2 months to get more. I think it depends on where you live as to how much you are given and how often you have to go in to get more. It is worth it!

September 19th, 2011, 02:35 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I thought about applying for it if I was completely unable to breastfeed. Because formula is the most expensive thing I have EVER seen. Hopefully, I'll be able to exclusive breastfeed, though. I've never had it before, but I had a friend who did and she'd make me go shopping for her because she was too embarrassed & it was miserable. I can't tell you how many times I got the wrong cheese! Why can't they just call it WIC cheese? Or put a sticker on it that says WIC Approved? lol. But I can't even tell you how helpful it was to get an entire CASE of formula every month for free. I mean, the juice, cereal, milk and even the elusive cheese were a plus... but the formula was worth it's weight in gold for her.
September 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have it. It's certainly worth having, as it saves a good bit of money. My only complaint is it is very limiting on what you can buy. They are really detailed about what is allowed, and it's fairly often not what I want to eat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search