WWYD - Headache Medicine

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I saw my OB yesterday because I have been having contractions and numbness in my legs. He sent me to physical therapy for my legs and said the contractions are not a problem as long as they stay sporadic. While I was there I told him about the headache that would not go away and I have had for a couple months when he asked what I was taking I told him the hydrocodone the ER doc prescribed didn't work so I wasn't taking anything. So of course he says he will get me something for it without elaborating what it is the side effects for me or baby or anything. he knows that I have taken medical classes and know how to find reliable information on my own so he does this every time. So I go home wait for it to get filled then pick it up and find out its a combination drug of Acetaminophen (safe), Caffeine (pretty safe in this low amount), and Butalbital (this is where my alarm bells start ringing.) Butalbital is a barbituate which is known to cross the placenta and a combination drug was shown to cause withdrawl seizures in a 2 day old.

The baby in that case is of course okay but it just makes me wonder if I should be taking this. I took it yesterday because the pain was unbearable and I just needed a break from it and it worked within an hour. Of course the headache is back today so I want to take the medicine to help my head but I don't want anything bad to happen to Atti man just because his mama can't handle a headache. I have no clue what to do I can't live in bed sleeping off a headache but feel like I can't take the thing that makes them go away either.

September 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmmm I wonder if there is such a 'low dose' of the Butalbital in the drug that it would be fine to use occasionally? When you have an ONGOING headache and nothing works it is soooo frustrating. I too feel like you, why should I compromise my baby when I just have a headache that I could put up with. Then I think well I have had this headache for a week now, im losing sleep, getting ****** at DD and DH, can't bring myself to do housework or cook dinner... it's then that I pop Tylenol.

I think you need to be happy and pain free and I'm sure your doc wouldn't give to u unless the benefit outweighed the risk? (or is it the risk outweighs the benefit?.... it's too early! but you know what I mean

Maybe ring another doc for a second opinion?

Whatever the case I think you are fine taking it once in a while, maybe alternate with plain tylenol?

September 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Ask your pharmacist. If they know you are pregnant they wont fill something that would be harmful to baby. Personally I wouldnt take that because I wouldnt want to risk it. Can you try Tylenol or acetaminophen?

September 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I have tried just the tylenol, have done loritab, this is kind of a nothing else is working try this approach. It hurts so bad all I do is sleep if I sit up I throw up so rationally I can tell its not just a typical little headache. It is 1 in the afternoon here and I have not eaten today because I can't get out of bed without getting dizzy so I think I should take the medicine but I just worry guess I should prolly get over it and just take it not like I am going to abuse it.

September 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
I say take it! Seriously you need to be able to function. Doc wouldn't have given if it was SOOOO bad

September 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Super Mommy
I was prescribed the exact same thing for my headaches. The pharmacist actually scared me out of taking it at first and convinced me drinking a soda or coffee would be a better option. When I told my OB what the pharmacist said, the OB said she would not prescribe anything that was not safe. She said that the prescription would be better than drinking caffeine. I have taken it a few times since then and within 1/2 hour my headache was gone and I was able to function. I still drink a soda or chai tea daily though, which is safe. As long as you aren't taking it daily and multiple times a day it should be ok. I use it only when the headache is so unbearable that I can't function. Like one morning I woke up with a headache and didn't want to get out of bed. DH convinced me to take one and it worked like magic. I say take it in moderation if you absolutely can't function.

September 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah it worked like magic last night was just like oh my goodness where did the pain go?

September 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandbabymama View Post
i was prescribed the exact same thing for my headaches. The pharmacist actually scared me out of taking it at first and convinced me drinking a soda or coffee would be a better option. When i told my ob what the pharmacist said, the ob said she would not prescribe anything that was not safe. She said that the prescription would be better than drinking caffeine. I have taken it a few times since then and within 1/2 hour my headache was gone and i was able to function. I still drink a soda or chai tea daily though, which is safe. As long as you aren't taking it daily and multiple times a day it should be ok. I use it only when the headache is so unbearable that i can't function. Like one morning i woke up with a headache and didn't want to get out of bed. Dh convinced me to take one and it worked like magic. I say take it in moderation if you absolutely can't function.

September 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
CAMPMOMMYAMY's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in because I've been dealing with the same issue and was prescribed the same thing. This med helps occasionally but on my worst headaches it wasn't even helping so I was prescribed Tylenol 3 with Codeine when they are super bad. My headaches come with throwing up too so it makes it even worse.
The doc told me that the stress and pain from the headaches, throwing up, loss of appetite etc can cause you to go into pre-term labor if it's bad enough. The risk of the pills (when only taken as needed and minimally) is far outweighed by the stress and pain to your body and not being able to function.
Best of luck, you're not alone!

September 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
can you maybe take half a pill and see if that helps any just so you wont feel as bad for taking it

but i agree i dont think your doctor would give you something harmful

but loritabe and hydro didnt know they were safe during pregnancy

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My Dr. had given me a combination of this. And I didn't end up taking it. I just decided to deal with the migraines until baby comes. That was my last pregnancy.

Have you ever done a food diary? Since starting my GD diet I have only had one bad migraine, and the head pressure I have constantly hasn't been as bad. I'm not sure what it was that was in my diet previous, but I'm willing to stay on this diet after the birth of the baby so I don't get headaches as often.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search