Cloth Diaper Dilemma...HELP!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok so I know quite a few mommas already CD on here...and I REALLY really want to when Holland is born. I was so set on the gdiapers. I love the idea of just washing the insert and not having to wash the whole diaper every time. But the more I read about them, the more I read bad reviews. There are plenty of good reviews as well. But they are more expensive than other CD brands and I don't want to commit, buy all this stuff and than I hate the diapers. I would only use the cloth inserts btw, what's the point of a cloth diaper with a disposable insert...

Anyways there are LOTS of brands and terms to sort through that I have no idea about. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a better brand than gdiapers but that is the same idea? An insert that you can just wash with the outside shell?? And if not, what's the next best thing?? I want to start stocking up now and I'm just completely clueless...

September 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a new mom too, so I don't have any experience, but...My plan is to buy a few different types of cloth diapers and see which works best for us once baby is here. I figure then I won't make a big investment in something I use 2 times and give up.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment August 6!

September 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM
aogilvie's Avatar Super Mommy
Even with the inserts, don't you still have to wash the diaper? Reason being that the surface actually touching the baby is part of the actual diaper? I was under the impression that the inserts were primarily for absorption, not to prevent washing of the diaper. I'm not sure either, though as you can tell!

Although I haven't been able to experiment yet (this will be my first baby), I'm really liking everything I've read about Kawaii diapers. Every review I've seen has been very good. The only complaint going around is that they're not quite as trim as some other brands between the legs - that there is some bulk there. But that's it. Supposedly, they're really nice diapers without the huge price tag.

Also, I think we might end up finding that different brands are best for different stages too. I've decided to go for prefolds with a cover for the newborn stage when he/she is really little and the Kawaii one-size snap diapers for the infant/toddler stage (there are series of four snaps, so you can adjust for size around waist, rise, and leg opening).

Anyway, that's where my reasearch has gotten me! Good luck!!!
TTC #1 with Endometriosis & Antiphospholipid Syndrome since December 2008
Dec 2008 - April 2010 #17 Natural cycles
May 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
June 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
July 2010 - IUI + clomid 100mg BFN
Sept/OC 2010 - IVF #1 (1 embryo transfered; none to freeze) BFP!!!
Oct 25 2010 - First ultrasound at 6.5 weeks TWO HEARTBEATS!!! The embryo split; we're having identical twins!!!
Nov 30 2010 - Ultrasound at 11 weeks; no heartbeats & no growth past 9 weeks
Dec 2 - D&C#1
Dec 7 2010 - D&C#2
Dec 22 2010 through current - Weekly acupuncture treatment
May/June 2011 - IVF#2 with acupuncture (1 embryo transferred; 4 embies on ice!!!) BFP!!!
June 29 2011 - First ultrasound at 7.0 weeks. Everything looks great so far!

July 18, 2011 - Second ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. Baby is doing great!

Feb 10 2012 - Molly Eileen arrived at 7lbs 11oz and 19inches!!!
September 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
There are diapers called flips. They are a hybrid diaper like the gdiaper, but they are not sized, so they should fit from about 8lbs or so until they are potty training. The only thing is that they may not fit a newborn. Emily was born at almost 8 lbs and we use disposable until all the meconium is gone cause it's NASTY. then we switched to one size diapers. You only wash the shell when they poop in it or after a few inserts. Otherwise, you just wipe out the shell and put in a new insert. I can usually get about 3-4 inserts before it needs to be washed. I love them, but usually use pockets until she poops for the day and then switch to the flips until bedtime so that I can get as many inserts in that one shell as possible.

The other option is Grovia, but they tend to run small so they may not last until potty training unless you have a super skinny baby. I also found that the mesh lining the shell of Grovia tend to hold a urine smell after I wipe it off and snap in a new insert.

ETA: I LOVE my Kawaiis, they make up most of our stash. The only downside is that they run big and I have a skinny baby. Em didn't fit in them until about 2 months and she was born at almost 8 lbs, so she wasn't tiny by any means. I heard that their pure and natural line fits newborns, but they are more expensive so I'm doing fitteds and prefolds with covers. You might also look into gogreen champ diapers. They're a bit more expensive than Kawaii, but you don't have to touch the insert before throwing it in the laundry. They also have cuter prints. Em's giraffe print gogreen champ is my favorite! You just undo the snap (which I do holding the outside of the diaper) and it agitates itself out in the wash.

Last edited by feythful; September 25th, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
September 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love prefolds and covers for my newborns. My favorite covers are Thirsties. A traditional cover doesn't have to be washed at every change and unless we have a poop explosion or extremely wet diaper I can use the same cover for most of the day. Once baby can roll over I usually switch to a pocket diaper (and use the prefolds for inserts). All of my babies have been super long and skinny so finding a good fit was hard. You may just need to get a few brands and see what fits best.
September 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
My best friend is cloth diapering her baby and has lots of different diapers so I got to try them on a baby and I am using FuzziBunz One Size. I also have grovia AIO newborn and FuzziBunz extrasmall and plan to buy some Lil Joey's to use until the cord is off. I don't mind needing to wash the entire diaper everytime I already do endless amounts of laundry and will be working from home so won't affect me much. I would recommend trying out different kinds because reviews are based on how it works for a certain baby and not all babies are made the same.

September 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check out Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth diapers and diaper covers for baby

They have tons of great information on different types of diapers out there and the ways to use them and wash them. Tons of information for someone who wants to learn about everything. You can also check out the CD board here on JM. There are some great people there and I think they have a stickied list of information as well. There are also some sites out there that you can get a trial run of different types of diapers to try out. Worth checking into when the baby gets here that way you can try them out without committing to anything.

September 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
I was gonna post a link to green mountian diapers too. I was so overwhelmed trying to decide I almost gave it up until I found that site.
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
September 25th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After tons of research I did realize there is no perfect diaper for all babies. Some people will love one and hate others, so as others said it probably is best to buy one of a few kinds and see what works best for your baby.

I did buy the gdiaper newborn pack, but my logic behind that was the they are small, have a disposable option for those first poops, and will suit my needs at first. I do plan to branch out though.
September 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
There's also a trial on bumGenius Cloth Diapers, FuzziBunz Cloth Diapers, Cloth Diaper Trial, Smartipants, Kissaluvs where you can try out a bunch of different diapers for a short period of time and return them for your entire deposit minus 10 dollars. A bunch of girls in the last DDC tried it and were surprised by which ones they ended up buying afterward. If you want to try a diaper that isn't normally in the package, they will work with you to substitute the ones you want to try with just a small fee if the ones you choose are more expensive.

September 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Def check out the cd board, and it might still be worth it to purchase a couple diapers, some people really like them me personally for my daughter I LOVED my fuzzibunz. They were totally worth what I paid, my DD is skinny so she wore the smalls till past 1 before we moved to mediums she was only in mediums for about 8 months then she potty trained but we also used prefolds and covers. Thirstier r also my FAVORITE cover, cute colors, long lasting, and u don't have to wash it after every use. My husband ended up preferring to use a refold over any of our other diaper, and he is a farm boy redneck, sooo if he can do it anyone can do it!
September 25th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I really like the flip brand, and the bummis brand, and thirsties...they all seem like something I would like to try. I put some flip brand diapers on my registry and way cut down the number of gdiapers I had registered for. Flip brand is so much cheaper and the reviews were way better. I glanced at the CD board, I will look more in-depth later. Thanks ladies for all the advice! There are just so many terms and brands and after a little bit it all starts to blend together! It's really confusing when you don't know what a AI2 is, compared to using a pre fold with a snappie, and something that is a pocket diaper...

I'm learning though! Mostly my problem is that all these brands assume you know what "duo wrap" means and really I have ZERO clue if it's what I'm looking for or not.

September 26th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella11356 View Post
There are just so many terms and brands and after a little bit it all starts to blend together! It's really confusing when you don't know what a AI2 is, compared to using a pre fold with a snappie, and something that is a pocket diaper...

I'm learning though! Mostly my problem is that all these brands assume you know what "duo wrap" means and really I have ZERO clue if it's what I'm looking for or not.
On the CD board, there's a list of acronyms and definitions like AIO and AI2. It really helped me to go look up some videos on youtube that compared the various types. My favorite website Jackbenatural has a bunch of videos comparing different types and brands. We have a little of all types, but DH won't use the prefolds and snappies. So I got pockets because he will actually change those. I guess he'll only be using the lil joey AIOs I got for the new baby. Silly men.

September 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Super Mommy
There are SO many diapers out there...for me it was a matter of ease of use and price. I don't spend more than $10 (if that) on a diaper. Once you get into the pricey diapers then I find it too costly and although saving the environment is great, I need to save my pocket books!

I use Kawaii's, Sunbaby's and Tender Tushies as they are ALL awesome and under $10 and are pocket diapers!

September 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would HIGHLY recommend buying just one of a couple of brands to give it a try and see how you like it. Not all diapers are created equal at all some are much more durable and comfortable for baby than others. And yes, you would still have to wash the cover, you would just be able to reuse it through a couple of wet diapers instead of going through a cover for every diaper change, which is kinda nice since the covers are the expensive part.

Anyway, I have run down what I have tried and what I thought of it on this forum before, so I'm not going to type it all out again (especially on my phone), but bottom line is although I have never tried them, I did consider buying gdiapers at one point and judging from the reviews they aren't worth the money. I would recommend bumgenius (I used their flip diapers, same concept as gdiapers but executed much better) or bright star baby. BG flips are one size, so they will seem huge on an infant. Bright star baby is an aio, but it is sized so it gives a nice, trim fit. And no matter what you do you need a few prefolds because they are great to add to an overnight diaper, a cheap burp cloth, household rag, changing pad, etc. You don't have to have the covers for them if you don't intend on using them as your main diaper, just the prefold itself. I recommend green mountain diapers for prefolds, their prefolds are awesome!

If you have the money to spend on AIOs, do it. I've done several brands of ai2s like the BG flip diapers and I am tired of the separate insert and cover. But that is just me. I'm upgrading to bright star baby AIOs now.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Krista, thanks for mentioning bright star, I like the way their newborn products look! Ive come to the conclusion that I will be using a few different brands at different times.

I wanted to be able to register for most of my CD supplies, but again, I've realized that isn't going to happen really. Flip diapers I did register for and I left the gdiaper newborn bundle on my list as well...I'm just going to put on my baby shower invites "graciously accepting visa gift cards for cloth diaper supplies." that way I can get what I want...lol

September 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
idk about others. i used gdiapers for my older kids, and i got a lot of leaks.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

September 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjaQ View Post
idk about others. i used gdiapers for my older kids, and i got a lot of leaks.
Yeah that's the general complaint from almost everyone. I've given up hope on that brand honestly. Their prices are obscene compared to everyone else and the reviews are twice as bad. And I know "not every baby is the same" and all that but they are all somewhat similar. If 90% of people have leaks, I'm going to assume I will be in that 90% as well. There are a ton more brands that are better priced and work better. It just took me a night or two of research and understanding to get that. Now that I've studied green mountain, and some of the other websites I have a pretty good idea of the type of product I want and where to get it... We'll see though!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search