Questions about baby clothes

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so I'm trying to plan out a wardrobe for the baby, and there are quite a few options. I was wondering what you BTDT mommies prefer...

Pants and side snap shirt, gowns, or sleep and plays?

From what I read everyone has a different opinion, and everyone has a reason they love or hate each option. I'm in southern California so it's never super cold here. Even in the winter it will be like 50F in the middle of the night outside.

What about the cord stump? can the baby wear onesies before it falls off? People keep saying to let air get to it, but if the baby is in a sleep and play will it dry out slower or get snagged?
September 25th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i live in Florida so its always pretty warm here also and never gets really cold

I love onesies!!!!!! DD wore them all of the time

she came home from the hosptial in a onesie so i just took care of the cord stump with rubbing pads and it was fine

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
i love onesies and gowns, sleep n plays also

September 25th, 2011, 05:15 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I liked onsies ans singlets that button under the bum the best. I found that the pants and top idea just created a gap at their waist and I REALLY didn't like that, especially coz it's not the warmest here in N.Z all the time. Also when you pick baby up it all rides up and its nice to have all their wee tummy covered.

Gowns for night time were fantastic for those mid of the night changes, we had draw string bottomed ones, so just needed to roll it up and roll it back down when you were done.

You are lucky you have a mild climate, I always worried about whether DD was warm enough at night here.

September 25th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I'm in Louisiana, but our winters can be pretty chilly just because they are so damp. I love the kimono onsies with pants or sleep and plays. The cord was fine in them. It only stayed for a week or two.
September 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
So would pants and a long sleeve onesie work. With a blanket or outer layer for cold? or are pants too much trouble?

Hate to put it this way but it is much cheaper to do pants and something else rather than sleep and plays.
September 25th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Is a 'sleep and play' the same as a onesie? I haven't heard the term here in N.Z

September 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i think long sleeve and pants work fine also!

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Pants are easy too! In the end you have to get them out legs and all anyway to change a nappy.

September 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_19_nz View Post
Is a 'sleep and play' the same as a onesie? I haven't heard the term here in N.Z
Sleep and plays are the ones that cover everything but the hands and head (and sometimes feet), but onesies snap at the crotch and don't cover the legs. I'm not sure if sleep and play is the proper name, but I hear them called that a lot.

Thank you very much for your advice ladies!
September 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Ohh ok, yeah then I liked sleep and plays alot!

September 25th, 2011, 06:25 PM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We live in onesies here (well, Jojo does, we don't, lol). I'll put pants on her when we go out, but they're such a pain we find, at least more so than just a onesie. When she was born it was cold out (November) so we definitely had pants on her. Or snap-up pajamas. You'll figure out what you like best and what works best for your little one - you just may have to try a few things first.

September 25th, 2011, 07:05 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use a lot of onesies and sleepers (sleep and plays, I guess!) here. All of my babies have been born when it is still pretty warm outside so we used mostly onesies. Sleepers at night because I sleep with fans in my bedroom and I don't want them to be cold. This will be my first real winter baby so I'm planning to stock up on tons of warm sleepers with the feet in them.

September 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Super Mommy
I love sleep and plays mostly b/c it's very comfy for the baby but still easy for practical life. I will do pants and shirt for special occasions or if we're going out but if it's a shirt I always put a plain onesie underneath. I feel like so many of the pants don't fit right when they are little bitty anyways so sleep and plays are my go to. Especially since grocery store, playdates,church and library are the extent of our outtings most of the time.

September 26th, 2011, 03:41 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Full hands...Full ❤
My babies live in bag sleepers when we're at home for the first several weeks. I usually put a onsie on underneath too. They keep them nice and warm, don't ride up like regular night gowns and are super easy when it comes to diaper changes. Newborn's legs are so curled up it can be difficult for me to get pants and sleepers on them.

Mindy ~ Mom to Dharma ~11
Leilani ~9
Dylan ~ 6
Malachi ~3
Delilah ~5 months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search