BC after baby

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just had this conversation with my doctor this week and I decided on the Mini Pill since I'll be bfing. After doing some reading up on it, it says it HAS to be taken at the same time every day or it won't be that effective compared to other combination pills that aren't affected by this as much. Of course every normal pill says take at the same time everyday but every where I"m reading about this one seems that you actually have to lol. I've never been able to take my pill at the same time everyday. I'd usually just remember at some point and take it and I never had any issues with this. But with the Mini Pill, will I?

Anyone heard of this or of women who have gotten pregnant while bfing and taking the Mini Pill?
September 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry, we've never used birth control other than condoms, but that's pretty obvious, lol. I think there's always a chance of getting pregnant on the pill, but you know yourself so maybe this isn't a match for you. And with a new baby that might be very difficult until baby is on some schedule to take it at the right time.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
September 26th, 2011, 07:11 AM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I was on this when I first got on BC. I've read the same things - it really scared me (as I was not married yet) so I was very anal about taking it at the same exact time every morning. I just set an alarm that would always go off telling me to take it. If you don't think you can remember, then I might not recommend it for you. I don't really know the alternatives though. I don't use BC anymore - we use NFP, and condoms during fertile days. Good luck figuring this out though; it's a tough decision.

September 26th, 2011, 07:37 AM
jennybunny82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the Mirena after I had DS and it has hormones in it so it made me a crazy basketcase of emotions. But then after finding that out, I got the Paraguard IUD and it worked like a charm. I even got pregnant the first time, the same month that I got the IUD take out.

September 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
I am not sure what I am going to use. I dont want to take "the pill" because I got really sick from it about 2 years ago (YAZ). One of my friends has mirena and loves it. I may try that.

September 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I know people who have gotten pregnant using just about every type of bc, including the IUDs. We used condoms because I already was having hormone issues because of PCOS and I didn't want to take anything hormonal. I'm glad we did use them because the first month without them, I got pregnant. I would look into all the options and consider which is best for your lifestyle. Nothing is full proof, but if you're really concerned, you can always combine types of contraceptives. There will be people who will tell you that you don't need to worry as long as you are breastfeeding or don't have your period, but a woman can ovulate as soon as 26 days after giving birth. I know at least one girl who got pregnant before she ever had a period and now has babies who are 11 months apart. You have plenty of time to choose because you probably won't want sex for at least a few weeks after birth, if not longer. You could also just use condoms until you decide otherwise.

September 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
We just used condoms the year before we had Ethan then stopped using them and got prego the first try with Ethan. After I had him we went back to condoms stopped using them and got prego the first try again with this baby. Guess we are super fertile! LoL we will go back to condoms again until I decide for sure that we are done. Then I want dh to get snipped.

September 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM
jlg123's Avatar Ecstatic mommy-to-be
DH and I are going to use ecological breastfeeding and NFP. The pill really affects me physically and gives me terrible mood swings.
September 26th, 2011, 09:19 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All other pills don't work well with me and my endo. I've had the IUD before and had to take it out because it was sooooooooo painful for me. I'm not doing the depot since I've had Lupron before and I won't do anything from that family. I think condoms may just be our best option till we're ready to try again.
September 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I have a friend that got pregnant taking that pill 30 minutes late one day. lol Her DD is now 7 months.

I'm getting my tubes tied after this. DH will be getting snipped as well. We are making doubly sure I'm not this sick again!
September 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't really do bc, but I will say it took me 8 months to ovulate while bfing dd. Granted, unless you know the signs, you will have no idea when you are ovulating that first time, and if it is sooner than expected you run the risk of getting pregnant. But that wasn't a big deal to me and I charted for over a year prior to having dd so I know my ovulation signs pretty well. The bad thing is bc can mess with your milk supply.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
DH is having "the operation" after I give birth. Done and done.

September 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have an extra alarm clock somewhere in the house that you can set at a time you are usually around? I did that when I started the pill way back in high school. And it reminded me more often then not. We now have a diabetic cat that needs a shot of insulin every 12 hrs, and we use the same method or we may have forgotten. Of course, now she comes looking for us when its time, but the alarm helped a great deal in the beginning when we were all adjusting to the schedule.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment and Anatomy Scan on Sept 4th!

September 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Mama2Nico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not going on the pill again. Didn't after Nico either, but I didn't get AF back until he was 18 months old due to BF'ing. Only had two AF's then got pregnant. Since DH wants to stop at two, I am thinking the big V for him.

September 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
mommy2kenzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We will be doing the mini pill if breastfeeding works out probably along with the pull out method. And probably avoiding sex all together around fertile time. If bf doesn't work, we'll try regular pills. I do not want an IUD again, it gave me major problems. It might take a little trial and error to find something that works for you after baby is born.

siggy by Jaidynsmum
September 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so I'll start by saying that my first form of birth control after having dd was the painful rip/tear from childbirth... It was at least 6 months before I felt healed enough to even consider sex! Hehe then after that we just used condoms. I would never remember to take a pill at the same time every day!! I'll prob use condoms after this one too. Maybe the normal pill? As there is one called Estelle that helps keep my skin clear too, bonus!

September 26th, 2011, 01:03 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i have heard of people getting pregnant taking it, yes. But people can use it successfully as well. I personally didn't use anything (as i'm sure you know) and that's how i ended up pregnant when tyler was 7 months old. This time i'll be trying the mirena. i know you had a terrible experience with that and BFing moms don't have many options. I hope it works for me b/c i can't be held accountable for taking a pill at the same time every day. The pill is just not for me.

Will add i ONLY breastfed tyler, he never took pacifiers and hadn't had a bottle in months, my AF returned after just 5 1/2 months. i'm not one of the lucky one who can keep it at bay i guess.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Super Mommy
DS was a bc baby due to not taking it at same time, after him I went on mini-pill and had an alarm clock on my cell to go off at 5 pm every night as the sound of a crying baby.... I never forgot once. Went off it and used condoms 2 months stopped those and got pg. After DD I got Mirena and I must say I absolutely loved it. I hear a lot of bad stories but it was fantastic for me. I did have to go back and get the strings cut once but otherwise it was great.... bonus I never had a period the whole time with it. It was removed and 2 wks later I got pg with this one!! I'm not sure what we are going to do this time. We're thinking to start TTC #4 when #3 is 11 months so not sure I want to risk having bad effects from Mirena for a short amount o ftime of bc. I also know that I can't trust us to refrain during fertile times and I dont' like condoms at all. I figure one of the privileges of being married is never having to use one! So i'm still deciding as well.

September 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No bc is 100%, but if used correctly most work pretty well.

I simply wont be getting any sex since the baby's father will be on the other side of the country. Very effective bc...
September 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
DH will be having a vasectomy before this one is born. If for some reason I have to have a C-section, my tubes will be tied as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search