Is this rude?? Baby shower invite question...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok please be brutally honest, because I really don't know here....

I've mentioned on the forum before I want people to buy me my Cd supplies for my baby shower. It's my first baby and my mother is throwing me a HUGE shower. Now that I've done a lot more research I can't really register at babies r us for what I now want.

Is it rude to put on the invitation "graciously accepting visa gift cards for Cloth Diaper supplies" than under that put "also registered at babies r us"?

I'm a big believer in buying gift cards so people can get what they want, but I know not everyone feels this way...I personally love them and I can buy what I need for my CD than what's left over will go toward what I didn't get from my registry...

September 26th, 2011, 06:16 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
I don't think that's rude AT ALL. In fact I think the way you have it worded is perfect. I love giving people gift cards so they can get exactly what they want, and this is the way for you to get your cd supplies. Go for it!
September 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Shannon1978's Avatar ~Formerly Donkey Lemonade
I don't think so. You also put something about Babies r' Us. So they have options.

The people that are coming are your friends and family, and I am sure that they want to get you something that you want/need.

My vote is go for it!
September 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
There r a few cd sites u can make a wish list and make it public, I think nickisdispaer.com does that, that's what I did for my DD and a few ppl bought me stuff off there. The only problem I ran into is that my in laws r dumber than dirt and cuz I mentioned cds they ignored my registry stuff and bought me Gerber diapers from walmart.....(these ppl r cheap lol)

I think u have it worded very nicely
September 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
Have you researched any other options in your area that would sell cloth diapers where you can register? I know that there are at least 2 specialty stores in my area that carry cloth diapers and supplies, but they aren't really well known (unless you are into the cloth diaper scene ). If that's what you really want, it may be worth it to see if you can find some stores in your area to register at. If you can't find any stores by Googling the information, you may want to ask on a local mommy board (if your area has them). It's worth a try!

September 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemykiddos! View Post
There r a few cd sites u can make a wish list and make it public, I think nickisdispaer.com does that, that's what I did for my DD and a few ppl bought me stuff off there. The only problem I ran into is that my in laws r dumber than dirt and cuz I mentioned cds they ignored my registry stuff and bought me Gerber diapers from walmart.....(these ppl r cheap lol)

I think u have it worded very nicely
I'm just afraid people won't shop online...that's what my SO thinks and I sort of agree...only because a lot of my invites are older people and I know for a fact a few don't even own computers, my great aunts and stuff like that. Visa gift cards can be bought anywhere almost.

That, and I don't want people to ignore my registry and just buy what they think, like your in laws did. I don't want useless things I won't use... But I think I'm worrying way more about this than I should!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMamma View Post
Have you researched any other options in your area that would sell cloth diapers where you can register? I know that there are at least 2 specialty stores in my area that carry cloth diapers and supplies, but they aren't really well known (unless you are into the cloth diaper scene ). If that's what you really want, it may be worth it to see if you can find some stores in your area to register at. If you can't find any stores by Googling the information, you may want to ask on a local mommy board (if your area has them). It's worth a try!
I did look into this, and I found one place in all of San Antonio really, that carries an mediocre supply of CDs. Really only thirsties, flip, and bumgenius...I'm going to keep them in mind! They do do a cool thing, its free gift wrapping and delivery to local addresses so that's nice.

Last edited by Bella11356; September 26th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
September 26th, 2011, 06:49 PM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you feel weird about it, why not just register at diapers.com and only put the cloth diapers on that registry? Then you can just say you are registered at these 2 places. I think people will get the hint.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment August 6!

September 26th, 2011, 10:02 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I can see your point about not wanting to register online for cloth diapering b/c if there are that many people invited who you are certain won't shop online and their choices are diapers.com or A Baby Store, odds are, they are going to head for the store... so if your only real chance at getting CD supplies is via Visa gift cards, I don't see the harm.

The whole point of a registry is a way to tell people 'This is what we need, and this is where you can buy it', so I don't see how asking for gift cards so you can buy CD supplies online would be rude if saying 'buy me these specific items from this specific store' isn't. If I remember correctly, your mom was the one who thought it was rude, and maybe she does think it's rude, but I don't think your guests would. Though I can see how it may be rude to ask for gift cards without specifying what they would be used for.

The main gift you need is a donation to the cloth diaper fund, and I'm sure your mom will forgive you for however you choose to word that.

September 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueFeb2012 View Post
I can see your point about not wanting to register online for cloth diapering b/c if there are that many people invited who you are certain won't shop online and their choices are diapers.com or A Baby Store, odds are, they are going to head for the store... so if your only real chance at getting CD supplies is via Visa gift cards, I don't see the harm.

The whole point of a registry is a way to tell people 'This is what we need, and this is where you can buy it', so I don't see how asking for gift cards so you can buy CD supplies online would be rude if saying 'buy me these specific items from this specific store' isn't. If I remember correctly, your mom was the one who thought it was rude, and maybe she does think it's rude, but I don't think your guests would. Though I can see how it may be rude to ask for gift cards without specifying what they would be used for.

The main gift you need is a donation to the cloth diaper fund, and I'm sure your mom will forgive you for however you choose to word that.
You're the best

Yeah i feel people will want to go to a store...some people are really against shopping online...and yes it was my mother who thought it was rude, and I told her tonight, I want it on there and if she doesn't like it, than she can pay for my CD supplies! She was quiet after that...lol

I just got the idea from some friends of ours, they are getting married and what they really want was a sleep number bed! So they put like "graciously accepting donations for a sleep number bed" on their wedding invites, so of course I just gave them cash, that was what they really wanted!

Thanks everyone for the input!!

September 26th, 2011, 11:08 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I know what you mean! My FIL would never ever type his debit card number into the internet.

September 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I think it is a great idea the visa gift card are easy to use and will give you what you want, I agree if you specify what you need(CD)I think everyone would be happy to get you the gift cards
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search