On the topic of baby showers

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Super Mommy
Is there a nice way of saying, "I desperately need everything!" lol. I have nothing. I dont want people to feel obligated to spend more than they want, but I also want them to know that there is nothing that we don't need. What is the etiquette for that?

Also, I dont know when my baby shower will be. I was thinking early December and then telling people not to get me Anything for Christmas. It sucks though, I dont think anyone will "throw" me one, I feel like I have to do everything myself like I did with my bridal shower. Okay so, kind of just typing my thoughts now, sorry!
September 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha We are in the same spot, and need everything. I just registered for everything and assume they will see it when they look at it.

My mom and sister are throwing us a shower, but they don't know the area nor are they anywhere near there. So, hubby and I have to pretty much tell them where to book the room and what food to order. Not much mystery there lol And, because my mom and sister have to fly in and stay in a hotel, I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment 11/19

September 27th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist20 View Post
Is there a nice way of saying, "I desperately need everything!" lol. I have nothing. I dont want people to feel obligated to spend more than they want, but I also want them to know that there is nothing that we don't need. What is the etiquette for that?

Also, I dont know when my baby shower will be. I was thinking early December and then telling people not to get me Anything for Christmas. It sucks though, I dont think anyone will "throw" me one, I feel like I have to do everything myself like I did with my bridal shower. Okay so, kind of just typing my thoughts now, sorry!
For me, we don't need clothes, we've bought alot already, that and I don't trust people's taste. So I'm not registering for any clothes at all. And I'm already just mentioning to people casually "yeah I don't need clothes" or " I'm really going to need to stock up on cloth diapers"... If you have a Facebook you can make casual comments on there, or if a friend or relative helps you plan they can kinda spread the word. My mom is throwing mine and she's already telling people not to get clothes, to look at my registry....

But if you've read any of my other post...my mother is a pill and often speaks her mind, so what she's doing is probably considered rude lol

September 27th, 2011, 12:35 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm stating in the invitation to not buy clothes since we need so many other things. I'll be fine on clothes for sure lol
September 27th, 2011, 12:48 AM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
It seems no one wants clothes! lol. I've been telling anyone who will listen that the only thing I want is clothes. We worked so hard to make decisions on all the bigger items. We've been reading reviews since months before he was even conceived. And I just don't trust everyone not to ignore the registry and buy the car seat that they think is better, etc. At least with clothes, if we don't like what we get, he'll outgrow it quickly. But that's totally just me.

You could just register for the main things you need. I tried to put as many $10 items on the list as I could find b/c I didn't want anyone to feel obligated to spend a lot. Lots of blankets and drop-in liners.

September 27th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It kind of stinks having a girl, because everyone is like "i cant wait to go shopping and get her some clothes!"

Im like, HELLO! I need a crib! And a changing table. And a carseat! And a stroller! lol its been almost 5 years since I had a need for this stuff, so i have none of it!

Luckily DH works for a DR office and its a husband and wife who are like a second set of parents, so Im thinking one will get us a crib and the other something else big we need (they are divorced, for once thats a good thing!)
September 27th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Super Mommy
Around here it seems people just use the register as an idea of what you want, so it's not, "okay she wants this carseat" its more like "okay she needs a carseat". With DD we had nothing and needed everything and we were not in a position that we could just go buy it. Since she was a girl, everyone went nuts on girl clothes (most of them very impractical ones at that). We just politely said thank you, returned most of it, and were able to get what we wanted/needed.

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
September 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I may not even register for clothes. You can find clothes for not too much. (I mean come on, how fast are they going to outgrow all the stuff you buy anyway.) I may just register for the stuff I need. (Which is also everything!)

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
September 27th, 2011, 07:55 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
I think when it is your first people know you need everything. But its not terribly likely that someone is going to buy too much of the huge stuff. We actually ended up buying most of the big stuff on sale and then left the smaller stuff to everyone else if they wanted. We did have family members who were put out that we'd bought all of the big stuff so maybe talk to them about these things. I know lots of grandparents like to buy the crib, or mattress or stroller or whatever. Just a few thoughts.
luckily, having a girl this time all we really need is clothes and the more "fun" stuff. I hear ya on people buying impractical. I actually requested no clothes on my registry. i got a few things but not a lot.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
I would just register for everything. Like most here, I am registering for the necessities and not clothes. I know I'll still get clothes, but hopefully I'll get what I need too, which like you is everything.
September 27th, 2011, 09:31 AM
MuffinMama's Avatar First Time Mama :)
Send a message via AIM to MuffinMama
I, too, need everything! It feels a little overwhelming, doesn't it?!
September 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks to Craigslist, garage sales, and thrift stores I have fully restocked us with almost everything. That and the fact I have no clue if we will have a shower or not I didn't want to get caught with nothing. If we have a shower I'm hoping for gender specific clothing..... hopefully a Meet the Baby shower or something.

September 27th, 2011, 05:14 PM
We registered for everything we need which is everything (including the carseat/stroller, bedding, etc). The only thing we didn't register for is clothes because people will get what they want as for clothes. Plus if we don't like the clothes we can always take it back. I already know the big things are off our list thanks to my mom and mother in-law. Plus we won't need clothes between them!

I say just register for what you need and tell people where you are registered.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search