OT - What you can't live without in the kitchen

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Super Mommy
As it shows in my signature, we are moving in our new house right before Christmas. We will have a brand new kitchen by then. Tomorrow night, I am meeting with the kitchen designer we consigned our project to. Since I have never lived in a place where the kitchen was new or modern, nor well equipped, I am a little clueless about all those accessories she's been showing me, such as pull out spice cabinets, pull out garbage and compost bins, tilt-out sink trays, drawer dividers, double or single bowl sinks and so on and so forth (I can't believe how many gadgets are out there now!)

So I was wondering what you ladies love the most about your kitchens and could not live without. Or what you can't stand and would like changed. I really want to go there prepared to make better decisions.

Looking forward for your answers! Thanks!

September 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh I can go on and on...a double oven for sure! I love mine, but I bake a lot...Or at least one with a warming drawer. I want one of those faucents that come on by touch...the drawers that are really cooling drawers with lights inside are cool. I wouldnt do a pull out spice rack unless you were a big time cook.

Oh I do own this...an insinkerator garbage disposable...best thing ever!! Extra deep sinks too are nice.

Ooo a trash compactor!!! I didn't ever like them till I got one, but it closes up and you can't smell the trash or anything like that.

I do not like my glass top stove. I am always having to clean it and I hate the way it looks dirty. I also don't know if I would do stainless again...it prints up a lot. Although my fridge is print resistant or something so that I don't have to worry about, everything else I polish. Same thing with granite...it always seems printed and dirty to me. I can't stand it. I know it's expensive and nice but...there are newer better products.

Pantry space is important, if you don't have a lot of it, ask about a lazy Susan. It's a turn around thingy...I don't know the right term for it...ask her she should know!! If you have any other questions let me know, I love this stuff and just redid my whole kitchen about a year ago! I'm a big time cook too...

September 27th, 2011, 08:02 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
My husband! LOL. Seriously, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't need a kitchen. I agree about the flat stove top being a PITA, our next stove will be gas. I would also love to have water in the door of the refrigerator, we don't have that now.
September 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks Bella for all this info and great ideas!

I'll definitely mention the insinkerator, I forgot they existed but remember that I thought they were practical.

I had no clue about the touch faucets. I just googled them and wow! How did they think of that?!? it must be expensive... but definitely something I'll look into.

The cooling drawers seem nice too. I just don't think they will fit in my kitchen as it is quite small (9'x14') and need all the drawer space I have for storage.

As for appliances, we're not buying new ones for now. We have a gas range that we use, and a white refrigerator for now (will change it next year).

September 27th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm thinking with a new baby to hold, a touch faucet will be nice...I want one so bad. The delta faucets are about 250 to 300, not the best but not the worst. Oh lights under the cabinets is nice too, so you can see better.

And yeah I would love to switch to a gas stove! You get better food and more accurate temps with gas as well...

September 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella11356 View Post
I'm thinking with a new baby to hold, a touch faucet will be nice...I want one so bad. The delta faucets are about 250 to 300, not the best but not the worst. Oh lights under the cabinets is nice too, so you can see better.

And yeah I would love to switch to a gas stove! You get better food and more accurate temps with gas as well...
WoW! You're aware of the brand's quality! Ok, so what about the Brizo? (On faucet.com they only have delta and Brizo with the touch technology).

September 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
I don't know if you need a sink, but we recently got a Blanco composite granite sink and I LOVE it. We had a stainless sink before, and after 7 years of use it looked awful, and I even wiped it down after every use. The new one is black, single basin and HUGE. It is so much deeper than our old sink and fits so much more. And it always looks good, I very rarely have to clean it. I never thought I could love a sink this much!
September 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want self closing drawers and eventually a double oven. I love my utinsel drawer, its extra wide and fits all of my silverware and cooking utinsels in it. I really like my pull out shelves too. I agree with the pp that spice drawers are nice but a waste of space if your not big into cooking. Pantries are IMO important. My pantry is the one thing I hate about my kitchen, its way too small and difficult to keep organized. If you don't have much room to work with lazy susan's are nice and a great space saver.

September 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have an RO water system which I couldn't live without. Other than that, my kitchen is what I call a "one-butt" kitchen, which means that only one person can move around in there easily. If there's two people in there it's chaos.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
September 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the advise. I'll look into granite sinks since they seem easier to maintain.

I do cook a lot, and have all the spices you can imagine, in all their form! What bothered me about what the designer previously planned was that the spice cabinet was a pull-out from the base section, and since I'm tall, I don't want to bend every time I look for a specefic spice. I told her to organize something in a drawer instead, and keep the power part for baking and pizza sheets.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search