Inducing women with big babies..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
I was just wondering how common this is....

Has any one ever been induced prior to their due date because their baby was measuring ahead?

Starting a clomid journey!
September 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with dd bc I was so sick
She was 5 days early & was 9lbs 1oz yikes
But nobody mentioned her being big so lucky for me I had her early

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
BSandDsMommy's Avatar Mommy to three boys
I was induced with ds2 bc of his head position he was 8lb14oz they joked how he was going to be a big boy but wasn't why I was induced

Baby girl due Dec. 2014

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
I got induced with Ethan cause I was impatient. He was 8 lbs 11 oz at 39 weeks.

September 27th, 2011, 11:35 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I was 9lb 10oz... so I am really nervous. I think DH was 8lbs-ish.

September 28th, 2011, 12:40 AM
armymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know Dr's do this, but I personally don't believe in it. Obviously induction is good and necessary sometimes, but *usually* unless a mom has gestational diabetes our bodies won't produce a baby that is too big for us to give birth to. Ultrasounds are often off by a couple pounds in that time period and there are plenty of times when women get induced because of the size of the baby and the baby comes out a pound or 2 less than was predicted.
September 28th, 2011, 12:46 AM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never known anyone personally to be induced due to having a giant baby. Are you secretly worried that your lil man is gonna be a big fella?

September 28th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Yes.. I'm petrified that he's going to be huge.
My doctor has organised my glucose test to be done early, because my risk of gestational diabetes is really high.
I am really just a huge wuss and it has always stumped me how women have big babies.. BUT I am also scared of being induced.. haha. There is no winning

September 28th, 2011, 12:56 AM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told that Lara was going to have a massive head (was measuring a fair few weeks ahead!) and big long feet. I was petrified I was gonna give birth to a monster! Not to mention getting the head out of you know where! Turns out she was perfectly in proportion and I worried for nothing! haha Her head does seem a lil big these days now I think about it though! hahahah Still beautiful though

September 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Haha... She has a big beautiful head

I get better at not worrying as the pregnancy goes on, but I was reading stories about women getting induced because of big babies.. I hadn't heard of that!

September 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wound up having a c-section with DS 1, because of his size. I refused to go early. My due date came and went. My doctors seemed more and more concerned, knowing that he was a large baby, and I am a small-boned (particularly narrow hipped) mama. Eventually, they talked me into a csection, because at five days past my due date, I was not even 1cm dilated. He wound up being 9lb 4oz. I had been fully opposed to a csection before that, but they worked with me to make the experience a good one. I had him in my arms, nursing, before we left the OR. The anesthesiologist took some amazing pics. It just went well all around. I had a repeat section with La, and again, the experience was a good one. I sometimes wish I would have stood my ground a for a while longer, but in the end, it was the well-being of my son that made the decision for me. And had a refused only to have him suffer shoulder dystacia (sp) or wind up with an emergency csection/tense, scary birth, I would not have forgiven myself. SO, after all of that explanation...way more info than you were looking for, surely...that's that.

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

September 28th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My PCP told me that I could be induced this time because my son was over 9lbs. He was only 3 days late and I went into labor, He was just a big baby and more than likely dd will be too. Ive been thinking about if a certain would be good?
September 28th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Super Mommy
My sister asked her doctor about that because she fears I big babby. She was over 10 lbs at birth (don't know how my mom survived that!) and her BF was a strong 9 lbs too. Her doctor agreed to induce her if the baby gets really big.

How does genetic really affect the size of our baby? If my mom had large babies, does that mean I have chances of having big babies too? And if my boyfriend and his 2 brothers were all small babies, between 6 and 7 lbs, can my babies inherit from his side?

September 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Veteran
I have heard so many stories about u/s being off by huge amounts that I don't trust them as a diagnostic tool for big babies. While I do think it is possible for a baby to get too big, and that trying to deliver a very big baby naturally can be risky, I also tend to think that our bodies are capable of more than we think in this regard - my mom is petite and tiny, and my brother was over 10 pounds and she had him totally natural with midwives, no problem. Both of mine were 7 lb 10 so I'm hoping it's not an issue this time around either.

Good luck to you - I hope yours isn't huge!

Last edited by Miraleila; September 29th, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
September 28th, 2011, 06:46 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been induced early due to a history of having a large baby. My second weighed 10lbs 4 oz at birth, I was 41 weeks. I tried to explain to my doctor that I was in so much pain from PSD and my stomach muscles ripping apart that I couldn't take more than a few steps at a time without being doubled over. He thought I was just being a whiny pregnant woman and didn't think to check on the baby's size.

So I got a new OB and she has induced me about 2 weeks early with both my boys and will probably insist on it again this time. It kind of stinks not being able to go into labor on my own, but as much as I hate it I guess I've come to accept that I never have and never will.

September 28th, 2011, 06:52 AM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never been induced for size, once for being a week late and twice more for high BP. All of my kiddos were of "normal" size I guess- 7.6, 7.15, and 7.4. Ironically, te one who weighed the least now weighs the most, and the larges at birth is the smallest. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are positive for GD. Then your doctor will monitor you carefully.
September 28th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
My ds came early at 37 weeks, he was 9lbs 10.6oz because of that and other complications I was induced at 36 weeks DD. She was born at 36 weeks at 6lbs 9oz (imagine if I had gone to 40 weeks or more!) I have not had gestational diabetes with either pregnancy.
For the record, with my son, my baby was too big for me. So please dent say that your body wont create a baby too big for your body, because it happens. Because of my large baby I got 3rd degree tears (I tore from vagina to bumhole) had the DRs known he was that big I would have had a csection.
With this pregnancy babys size will be closely monitored close to the end, tentatively my induction date is scheduled for feb 29th which if going on my original sue date is 36.5 weeks, but cuz baby is already big, it puts me at 38 weeks with my new due date.

Sorry that was long, lol Yes women are induced because of large babies.it does not happen often, but it can happen.
September 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Regular
I was induced with both kids at around 39 weeks due to being big.

My doctor already told me she wants to induce at 38 weeks because my daughter had shoulder dystocia and she was stuck, which caused her cord to be compressed and her heart rate dropped and she came out completely blue and they had a hard time getting her breathing. It was pretty scary. She was 9. 12 oz. So I def plan on getting induced.
September 28th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This issue really gets to me. There are plenty of very good reasons to be induced. Looking at an ultrasound and taking a guess at the baby's size is not one of them. Scheduling an induction or even a c-section is a convenient by-product of this "diagnosis". Convenient for the doctor that is. Sorry, I am a member of the "American maternity system is seriously jacked" camp, and things like this set my blood to boiling! Okay I'll stop now.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
September 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *krista* View Post
This issue really gets to me. There are plenty of very good reasons to be induced. Looking at an ultrasound and taking a guess at the baby's size is not one of them. Scheduling an induction or even a c-section is a convenient by-product of this "diagnosis". Convenient for the doctor that is. Sorry, I am a member of the "American maternity system is seriously jacked" camp, and things like this set my blood to boiling! Okay I'll stop now.
I agree that ultrasounds by themselves are pretty inaccurate when it comes to predicting birth weight. Coupled with other signs though, like measuring ahead, I think it's best to err on the side of caution.

I can only wish that my OB had cared to monitor the size of my baby. Since he didn't, I had to suffer the consequences. My daughter and I are both blessed that we made it through the birth with minimal problems. I truly believe the only reason she didn't get stuck in the birth canal was because she came out with one arm outstretched above her head, as if she knew that she needed to get in a better position to fit.

I however, have had to suffer through the pain of PSD during each subsequent pregnancy because she was so big my pubic symphysis was permanently damaged.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search