Ugh... Just a few weeks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
...till my doctor will doubtlessly make me take that diabetes test! I am terrified of that test this go. I know for sure that I will throw it up. There will be no way around it. If I fast, I'll be greeting my bile about an hour after I wake. If I drink something that sugary, it's going to be staining the hospital carpet.

I have one friend that delivered at my hospital but did that test at the clinic next door. When she threw it up, she didn't have to take it. I really hope the doctor I have doesn't try to make me drink it repeatedly till it stays down!
September 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy

i hate drinking that crap blah
i have to go to the blood lab to drink it and its always packed in there so going to be a long boring hour better bring a book to keep myself busy
at what week do we normally have to drink it? i cant remember lol

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM
BSandDsMommy's Avatar Mommy to three boys
I'm dreading it also I have yet to pass the 1 hour had G.D. With my fist then didn't with my second and the last time I was ab to puke the lady was like honey are you ok?! I was happy to hear you can get a cup of water lol I was sitting there praying that I wouldn't puke infront of everyone there

Baby girl due Dec. 2014

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 28th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I was pretty far with DD because I was between doctors when it was time to take it. I think 24 weeks is average? With DD I was 27 I think.
September 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I usually have had to take mine at around 28 weeks, but this time I get to avoid it because I'm using a blood glucose monitor in hopes of preventing GD. I hate that sugary drink.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
September 28th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wait.. What is this? Is it requested for all or most pregnancies or under certain conditions?
September 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitusne View Post
Wait.. What is this? Is it requested for all or most pregnancies or under certain conditions?
As far as I know, it's required for all normally. You can always refuse the test I guess.

It's a sugary soda type drink you take. Wait an hour, and they draw your blood.
September 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah, I see...

Pregnancy and gestational diabetes screening

Thought that was part of the point of testing our urine every time lol. Nonetheless this looks like another test that doesn't give any real answers... Also, ew.
September 29th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Love my unborn son
Is that stuff really that bad? This is my first pregnancy so you ladies tell me.

September 29th, 2011, 02:32 AM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysumday View Post
Is that stuff really that bad? This is my first pregnancy so you ladies tell me.
It sucks. LOL I don't know any other way of putting it. It's sweeter than anything you have probably ever tasted before. So that, plus an empty stomach and if you already have nausea and morning sickness on top of it definately don't make for a good combo. I've failed the one hour test the last 2 times and had to take the 3 hour test.
September 29th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Having to fast and drink it while still experiencing nausea must be awful. I am so sorry!

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

September 29th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Veteran
Ugh, this sounds awful, fasting for me right now would mean throwing up and passing out, not really interested inputting 50 grams of extra sugar in my body either, unless it was something I actually wanted to eat/drink!
September 29th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was fine with the one hour, the drink was warm...gross... but it did not make me sick, but they allowed me to go eat lunch first. I failed and had the 3 hour, that made me nauseas but I didnt throw up probably because the drink was ice cold! I had mine done at like 12 weeks or something, I am supposed to do it again but I think Ill try to skip it....
September 29th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Veteran
Do you have to fast? I told my doctor I will do the test but I can not fast beforehand, due to my hypoglycemia. (I did whatever they told me with my first so I fasted, and I could barely make it in to the office. Horrible experience.) She said that's fine, as long as I don't eat anything after I drink the stuff. I just basically said if I can't do it this way, I can't do it, and they said fine.

However, I suppose there's a risk of it skewing the results (not for me, because my bs is always low anyway) but I'd think as long as you ate low carbs and sugar and high protein, it would be ok.
September 29th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Super Mommy
I have to take the one hour test sometime in November...
September 29th, 2011, 07:17 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i'm not looking forward to it either. not sure if they'll let meskip it, cos my step-dad is diabetic, and i can monitor it at home.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

September 29th, 2011, 07:22 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Full hands...Full ❤
I have to take my GD test next Tuesday. My doctor told me I didn't have to fast, so I think that will make it a little easier. I had to fast before I took it during my other pregnancies, I didn't throw up but it did make me nauseated and light-headed.

Mindy ~ Mom to Dharma ~11
Leilani ~9
Dylan ~ 6
Malachi ~3
Delilah ~5 months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search