Sleeping on belly?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
Does it really count as sleeping on my belly if I'm slightly leaned to one side so as to put most of my body weight on my hip bone?

Enclosed is a crudely drawn example:

I sleep with my right arm and right leg sticking straight up and down, and my left arm and left leg curled up, keeping a pillow under my left knee.

I don't feel any pain or pressure on my belly. This is the way I have slept for as long at I can remember. Even with the Snoogle, I can't sleep just on my side w/o at least being halfway on my belly. It's very painful/uncomfortable for me to put any weight on my shoulders, so side sleeping just never worked for me. I'm going to talk to my OB about it when I see her on the 5th, but in the mean time, I'm somewhat concerned.

Last edited by BrittanyLBH; October 1st, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
October 1st, 2011, 05:28 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hahaah I LOVE your pic! I lie on my side, my belly kinda mushes onto the mattress but I guess I am more on my side than you describe. My leg or legs go up onto a pillow just like you drew hehehe

Best you talk to the doc, but unless the bump is totally squished it should be ok.

October 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha nice drawing. I sleep just like that and will continue to until my belly doesn't allow it anymore.
October 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
MuffinMama's Avatar First Time Mama :)
Send a message via AIM to MuffinMama
I sleep like that, too! Couldn't have drawn it better myself.
October 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
Hahah that is sooo the way I have been sleeping lately I don't see anything wrong with it.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
October 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I slept like that all through my pregnancy with Em and probably will with this one. My OB told me that my body will tell me if I'm sleeping wrong. He said my body will even wake me up if it's bad enough. I wouldn't worry too much. Once you start feeling regular strong movements, the baby will let you know if you're squishing him/her and probably also which side they prefer Emily hated when I laid on my left side and punched and kicked till I rolled over.

October 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Awesome drawing! I sleep like that too, although sometimes I feel too much pressure and the baby kicks. I'd say if it feels okay, you're probably fine. Ask the doctor thought.
October 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
everafter's Avatar Super Mommy
I sleep exactly like that and baby tells me when I'm laying on my belly too much.....she starts kicking like crazy then and I'll move....

October 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
I think most people/doctors say that your body/baby will tell you to move before there is a chance for damage to be done.

Oh, DH and I love MS Paint. We leave each other notes and whatnot with little stick men. lol

October 1st, 2011, 07:32 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told it's ok as long as you are comfortable.
October 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I loget the drawing!!! I sleep like that as well...should be fine
October 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by everafter View Post
I sleep exactly like that and baby tells me when I'm laying on my belly too much.....she starts kicking like crazy then and I'll move....

yep same here
then ill switch to the other side and sleep the same way lol
i normally have the boppy billow under my lower belly/ between my legs

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
October 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
BSandDsMommy's Avatar Mommy to three boys
I sleep just like that!!! I used to be a stomach sleeper until I got pg with ds1 and I found that position worked for me lol have slept like that ever since it is comfy to me and so far all my babies haven't minded

Baby girl due Dec. 2014

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM
Super Mommy
I sleep that way to but the pillow is higher up, I tuck the pillow in front of my stomach. I figure it's ok but I do try to stay on my side but always end up leaning towards my stomach.
October 1st, 2011, 10:12 PM
Come to think of it, I do wake up and roll to the opposite side, in the same position. IDK if it's instinctual, or what, but at least a dozen times a night, I have to roll over. I don't stay on my left side for long, but I can't stay on my right side all through the night. I don't even get uncomfortable. I just wake up from a dead sleep and roll over. So, I guess it's unlikely that I could sleep though hurting the baby if I just wake up for no reason like that.

October 2nd, 2011, 12:17 AM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sleep the same way, on both sides. I figure If I was squishing the baby he would make me move (I stopped worrying about him being on his head since he still has enough room to flip lol). And most of the time when I am on my left side, it is the only time I can feel his flutters, since I haven't felt him kick yet. I think, as I get bigger, I will just get a bigger pillow to throw my leg over lol

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment 11/19

October 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
ldlight's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ldlight
lol I sleep like that too

Want your house to smell amazing! Check out Scentsy! https://laurielight.scentsy.us/Home
October 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
~Carissa~'s Avatar SAHMommy to Wyatt!
Send a message via AIM to ~Carissa~
I sleep just like that! I try not to, but I just can't get comfortable any other way most of the time. I think as long as our bellies don't feel squished or pressure, we should be ok.

October 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is my preferred sleeping position, too, but lately Ashton will have none of it. He starts kicking at the side of my belly touching the bed like crazy until I move. LOL. My only solution has been pillows, pillows, and more pillows.

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

October 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
If it doesn't cause any discomfort or pain then it'd be fine!!
I sleep like this too and I am nearly at the point where I can't roll over on to my otherside without it hurting, so putting weight on my belly is almost a complete out now but I keep my leg up like you do to keep pressure off my tummy

Starting a clomid journey!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search