I want to shop!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Have you guys bought anything yet? I cannot combat the constant feeling of wanting to shop. When do you start, etc.?
October 29th, 2011, 10:42 AM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
I've had urges to shop since the very beginning, and I've already bought several things. We cloth diaper so I went ahead and ordered newborn diapers since we have all the ones we'll need in bigger sizes already. I also bought a super cute sleeper that's gender neutral and a pack of paci's that have penguins on them.

October 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM
SuperMartianRobotMom6's Avatar Proud Mama & Happy Wife
Im dieiiiing too! I dont plan on starting to buy til at least 20 weeks so I know what the baby is Its soo hard to wait!

October 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've bought two things. We cloth diaper, so I've bought two newborn diapers so far. I want to buy more, but I'm not crazy about gender neutral so I'm trying to hold off. I will buy more cloth diapers though because prefolds are pretty gender neutral. lol

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

October 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's really hard not to buy anything right now... I know what you mean. I went to the store the other day and there were soooo many things I wanted to get! I felt the compulsive need to buy SOMETHING, so I bought some infant hangers. We're getting so many hand me downs from people that I can't really justify buying much, especially this early.

It helps that I'm busy spending money for our wedding though, I guess....

October 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran
For those that cloth diaper, how many do you buy? Do you get plastic pants too? Do you have to soak them before washing or do you just pop them in the machine? Do you have disposables for when you leave the house or do you do exclusively cloth? How often do you find yourself washing them?

I haven't seen anything I wanted to buy yet. I was thinking about getting some bigger bras but when I went in motherhood yesterday they didn't have any nice ones so I'll probably get some at Macy's on Monday. I think they recently sent me a coupon to buy 3 get one free or something. For the moms who have BTDT, when you need bigger bras do you just go up a cup size or do you try on a few until you get the right size?

I'm waiting until week 16, possibly later, to buy anything. Since I've had 2 miscarriages I'm very nervous even though none made it anywhere near this far. I was tempted to buy the breast pads and gel cover for your breasts that's supposed to stop you from leaking by mere pressure yesterday but I held off.

October 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfor3 View Post
No plastic pants for us.
Although we do use some covers which are "sort" of like plastic, called PUL. We mainly use pockets. Some brands you could google are Fuzzibunz, Bum Genius, Grovia, FLIP, Rumparooz. Everyone likes different things, you may just have to buy several kinds and see what you like. Right now, I prefer FLIP covers with organic inserts. When he was a baby, I preferred prefolds with Thirsties covers. It changes

How many you have just depends on how often you wash, and how many kids you have in cloth. I'd say about 25 is typical.

I do not use a wet pail (soaking) I spray off any with poop on them (but you don't have to do this if your baby is exclusively breastfed) then they go into a 13 gallon trash can that has a special waterproof liner in it where they sit until I wash, every other night. The pee ones go straight into the pail as soon as they come off baby where they sit until wash day. The poop ones usually sit in my bathtub until later in the day when I take care of them, then in the pail they go.

I have never used a disposable diaper since we began using cloth when my baby was 9 weeks old. He is almost 21 months old now. Cloth diapers should be changed roughly the same times disposable would (about every 2-3hrs). If you plan for this when you are out and about, no problems.

I wash every other night. I have a toddler so his pee is strong, can't go longer than that. With a baby, you could easily do every third day.

Hope this helps. Cloth is very easy. I can't imagine any other way.
Thanks! I'll have to read up on it. I tried reading one site and it was overwhelming. I guess I've got nine months to figure it out I thought they would be too messy to use but it doesn't seem like they will be. I like that they're more economical and environment friendly. I guess I would just have to buy enough so I'm not a slave to laundry.

October 29th, 2011, 02:01 PM
kchav314's Avatar Super Mommy
I've bought a few maternity clothes, but no baby stuff yet. I want everything to be very gender specific, so I'll probably wait until we know what we're having.

October 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't bought anything yet. I think I'll wait until 16wks when we find out what we're having.

Mommy to Keagan - June 2008, Benny - October 2010 and Liam - June 2012
October 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Super Mommy
I'm going to wait till we know the sex and get closer to the due date. We won't need to buy much since this is our second and DD is only 1 so we have plenty of baby gear. One thing I'm dieing to buy is the double jogging stroller! I'm looking for sales or a used one almost every day.
October 29th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought some newborn/infant cloth too but right before I got a BFP. We haven't and probably won't buy anything else for a really long time. We have duplicates of so many things already.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

October 29th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
For those that cloth diaper, how many do you buy? Do you get plastic pants too? Do you have to soak them before washing or do you just pop them in the machine? Do you have disposables for when you leave the house or do you do exclusively cloth? How often do you find yourself washing them?

I haven't seen anything I wanted to buy yet. I was thinking about getting some bigger bras but when I went in motherhood yesterday they didn't have any nice ones so I'll probably get some at Macy's on Monday. I think they recently sent me a coupon to buy 3 get one free or something. For the moms who have BTDT, when you need bigger bras do you just go up a cup size or do you try on a few until you get the right size?

I'm waiting until week 16, possibly later, to buy anything. Since I've had 2 miscarriages I'm very nervous even though none made it anywhere near this far. I was tempted to buy the breast pads and gel cover for your breasts that's supposed to stop you from leaking by mere pressure yesterday but I held off.
No plastic pants for us.
Although we do use some covers which are "sort" of like plastic, called PUL. We mainly use pockets. Some brands you could google are Fuzzibunz, Bum Genius, Grovia, FLIP, Rumparooz. Everyone likes different things, you may just have to buy several kinds and see what you like. Right now, I prefer FLIP covers with organic inserts. When he was a baby, I preferred prefolds with Thirsties covers. It changes

How many you have just depends on how often you wash, and how many kids you have in cloth. I'd say about 25 is typical.

I do not use a wet pail (soaking) I spray off any with poop on them (but you don't have to do this if your baby is exclusively breastfed) then they go into a 13 gallon trash can that has a special waterproof liner in it where they sit until I wash, every other night. The pee ones go straight into the pail as soon as they come off baby where they sit until wash day. The poop ones usually sit in my bathtub until later in the day when I take care of them, then in the pail they go.

I have never used a disposable diaper since we began using cloth when my baby was 9 weeks old. He is almost 21 months old now. Cloth diapers should be changed roughly the same times disposable would (about every 2-3hrs). If you plan for this when you are out and about, no problems.

I wash every other night. I have a toddler so his pee is strong, can't go longer than that. With a baby, you could easily do every third day.

Hope this helps. Cloth is very easy. I can't imagine any other way.

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

October 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
Thanks! I'll have to read up on it. I tried reading one site and it was overwhelming. I guess I've got nine months to figure it out I thought they would be too messy to use but it doesn't seem like they will be. I like that they're more economical and environment friendly. I guess I would just have to buy enough so I'm not a slave to laundry.

Please check out the cloth diapering forum... There is a lot of info out there and a lot of options... another great board to check out is diaperswappers.com. It's a great forum to get info, but also for buying second hand diapers.... I have gotten some great deals there...

You will find many different opinions on what to buy or not to buy. The best advice I got when I was diapering early on was to try a variety of different diapers to find t what you like and take it from there...

My favorite dipes are swaddlebees and blueberries.... For NB I like Nanas Bottoms (affordable since they grow out of them sooo fast)

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions... If it weren't for people on these boards when I first started I probably would have given up!
October 29th, 2011, 11:25 PM
bunnybaker's Avatar Super Mommy
I REALLY want to shop. It's really killing me not to. If I break down it'll probably be to get a few board books or a soft lovey toy or something.

My SIL and my mom got me a few maternity items though...

=

October 30th, 2011, 11:23 AM
AvasMommie2011's Avatar Veteran
I dont feel the need to shop right now and probably wont till it gets closer to the due date.

THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY, JAIDYNSMUM

October 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushaluv View Post
Please check out the cloth diapering forum... There is a lot of info out there and a lot of options... another great board to check out is diaperswappers.com. It's a great forum to get info, but also for buying second hand diapers.... I have gotten some great deals there...

You will find many different opinions on what to buy or not to buy. The best advice I got when I was diapering early on was to try a variety of different diapers to find t what you like and take it from there...

My favorite dipes are swaddlebees and blueberries.... For NB I like Nanas Bottoms (affordable since they grow out of them sooo fast)

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions... If it weren't for people on these boards when I first started I probably would have given up!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably wait until I'm closer to my due date to really start searching. Totally forgot there's a forum for cloth diapering here, I'll check it out.

October 30th, 2011, 05:22 PM
WoahMama83's Avatar Veteran
I haven't gotten the urge to buy or really even look at anything. Once I'm out of the first trimester I hope to start on a newborn stash for dipes. Then once after finding out the gender I'll go really crazy on buying everything. Right now the only thing I'm focusing on is getting to the "safe" zone.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my wonderful siggy!

That's me ~~~>Facebook-Heather
October 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had an urge to buy anything yet, except today saw this really cute dress for a baby, too bad I don't know what this is, and I plan on waiting until it's born, so I won't be buying clothes until after, if I even need to do that.

I am too scared to buy anything yet, I will be waiting also until I get into the "safe" zone.

As for bras, I went into Motherhood and they measured me when I was pg with DD...I almost fell on the floor when she told me the size though...I had to ask her to repeat it LOL!

October 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Super Mommy
Havent bought anything yet... and i need EVERYTHING lol i get urges all the time so I "window shop" alot on the internet usually

Tags
first baby , shopping

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search