~*~ Cloth Diapering 101 ~*~

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
We have a lot of girls who are either cloth diapering or who are interested in starting when their baby arrives! I thought we could have a thread that's kind of a 1 stop shop for everything cloth diaper! If you have any experience add it here! Tell us what your faves are, least faves, how you wash, what you wash with, where you like to order from (also where not to order from lol). Please add anything you would like

**** Also, if you have questions, ASK THEM! I'm sure someone will give you an answer! ****

<3

<3

Last edited by -3-Hearts; November 2nd, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
November 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
heatherj101604's Avatar Super Mommy
Glad you added this! I have started stocking up but it will be nice to hear from BTDT moms.
November 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
My Faves:Bumgenius 4.0 One Size Pockets
Thirsties Covers
Flip Covers
Nicki's Prefolds
GMD Prefolds

Least Faves:I haven't tried too many, so I don't really have a least fave yet

My Wash Routine:
I store my dirties in a cloth hamper in my laundry room. It's just a metal frame with a bag that velcros on it (I got it from Wal Mart). I just dump my dipes in the washer. I usually add some baking soda to the bag, and it really gets rid of the smell.
I throw all my diapers in, pour HOT water on them (I have an HE front loader, so I have to trick my washer into thinking it's full lol. The water makes it weigh more). I have been adding either 1/2tbs of Rockin' Green Classic Rock or 1/2tbs of Ecos Free and Clear. I set it to a hot wash, and once it adds the water and aggitated around for a few minutes, I turn the washer off so they will soak. I let them soak for at least an hour.
After the soak, I do a "Drain and Spin" cycle, but I turn the spin off, so it just drains the water. Then I set up my hot wash (Hot wash, cold rinse. Heavy soil, Water plus, Max spin). I add either 1.5tbs of Rockin' Green or 1tbs of Ecos (the Ecos is super concentrated).
I typically dry mine in the dryer, but sometimes I lay them on my car to dry lol.

My Fave Places to Order From:
Cotton Babies (free shipping)
Cloth Diapers, Cloth Diaper Covers, bumGenius, Bummis, Kissaluvs and MORE from the top Ranked Online Cloth Diaper Store
Nicki's
Nicki's Diapers: Cloth diapers and diaper covers
Diaper Junction
Cloth Diapers - Diaper Covers - Prefold Diapers - bumGenius
Diaper Swappers
Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

My Fave Facebook Swap Pages:
You HAVE to be logged in to view these!
Fluff Swappers
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
BG B/S/O/T
Buy Sell or Trade Cloth Diapers
Cloth Diaper Swap and Sell

Cloth Diaper Detergent Reviews!! What's Safe and What Isn't

Chart of Detergents
Detergent Chart for Use in Cloth Diapering
Cloth Diaper Detergent Chart - Best Detergent for Diapers
Detergents for Cloth Diapers

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Stripping Cloth Diapers
If you notice your diapers are smelly after washing, stink like ammonia after use, or are suddenly leaking, you probably need a good strip! There are SEVERAL ways to do this, and everyone will usually do something different. This is what I do!
I Fill my sink with HOT HOT water (my water heater is turned all the way up). I throw in 2tbs of Rockin' Green Classic Rock (but they also sell one called Funk Rock just for this!). I throw my covers in and let them soak for at least 1 hour.

I get my largest stock pot, and I boil all my inserts for around 20 minutes (this will probably make your kitchen stink, so open a door or window lol).

After boiling, I will either throw them in a sink full of HOT water and 2 tbs of Rockin' Green and let them soak, OR I will hand wash with plain blue Dawn dish soap and wring and rinse a few times.

I then throw my soaking wet covers into the washer for a hot wash. It might take a few rinses to get all the detergent and build up out. I usually add 1/2c of baking soda to the wash and 1/4c of distilled white vinegar to the rinse. I do the same for the inserts.

a few helpful sites:
Stripping Cloth Diapers - How to Get Them Clean Again
Stripping Cloth Diapers - Strip Cloth Diapers

A Good General Info Site on Cloth Diapering Especially if you're new!
New to Cloth Diapers? All About Cloth Diapers | Cloth Diaper Answers All About Cloth Diapers

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's something I wrote up to help decide where to start... I have another one on the same site that lists the definitions of different types, but I just realized its all one paragraph.. I need to go add some HTML to make it look pretty.

Sorting Through The Choices : Bobbity Boo Babies, Cloth Diapers and more

Okay, fixed it!

Cloth Diaper Categories : Bobbity Boo Babies, Cloth Diapers and more

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Last edited by BobbityBoo; November 2nd, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
November 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Yes, You CAN Buy Used!
Cloth diapering can be expensive and cost you a lot up fron . Want to try to save money or diaper on a budget? It CAN be done!

Buying used is one of the best ways to go if you're short on cash. Some people might think this is "gross" or "nasty", but really, it isn't. A lot of times, you can get great name brands for half the cost of new, and have them be in like new condition. You can also resale your used cloth diapers to help recover what you have spent.

Money is tight, but I want to buy new only
Ok, so you want to skip used, that's perfectly fine! What you need to do is watch for cloth diaper sales and clearance specials. Buying seconds diapers is a great way to go. A lot of times, these diapers have a small imperfection that keep the manufacturer from being able to sell them as first quality. It might be a pen mark, or a few stitches that are out of line.
Also, you can go with prefolds and covers. This is almost always the best way to diaper on a budget, since most regular prefolds go from around $1.50+ each, and covers as cheap at $5!

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Cloth Diapering a Newborn

Some people like to wait until the umbilical stump falls off or the meconium poop has stopped (the meconium *can* cause staining. but stains can be easily removed).

You don't really have to do this. There are many diapers that have a snap down front just for the umbilicus. So you don't have to worry about the diaper touching the stump
Also, a lot of nb diapers have a low rise to accomidate.

With the meconium (babys first few poops), you can choose to use a cotton/flannel liner, or just use the diaper the way you normally would. I know a lot of people have said that they had no problems with stains when just using the diaper without a liner.

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
for Prefold mommies, how many inserts/doublers if baby is a heavy wetter?

snappis should be thrown out every 6 months.. how many do we need to start?
November 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
for Prefold mommies, how many inserts/doublers if baby is a heavy wetter?

snappis should be thrown out every 6 months.. how many do we need to start?
Erin is a heavy wetter, and for the days we use pf's, I just throw in a doubler/nb insert. Depending on how heavy baby wets, you might need more. I would keep adding until you get enough absorbancy.

I would get 3 or 4, since they're so easy to lose

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Why Choose Prefolds

Prefold cloth diapers have become a favorite choice for many. They are cheap, easy to use, very absorbant, and easy to wash and dry. Gone are the days of our grandmothers diapers with safety pins! Now, we have these neat little things called Snappis
Snappi Diaper Fastener - makes cloth diapering easy

lol yes, pins are still available if you want to use those too!

Unlike microfiber, ALL prefolds can be placed against babys skin, AND you can even get them in ORGANIC MATERIALS!!!

Folding a Prefold
The Newspaper Fold
Newspaper fold for cloth diapers :: Diaper Pages - Karen's Cloth Diapering Site

The Bikini Twist
Bikini twist fold for cloth diapers :: Diaper Pages - Karen's Cloth Diapering Site

Angel Wing Fold
Angel wing fold for cloth diapers :: Diaper Pages - Karen's Cloth Diapering Site

Jelly Roll (Sidewall Fold)
sidewall/jellyroll prefold

Trifolding
This is an easy one! Just fold your prefold on the lines and voila! Lay in a cover and go!

Covers?

What kind of cover you use depends on what will work for you. There are PUL covers (waterproof polyurethane covers like Thirsties or Bummis), fleece, and even wool. I recommend buying a few of each and seeing what you like They come in snaps and velcro, depending again on what works best for you.

Oh no I have stains!!

What will you ever do if you get stains??? Well, lucky for you, there are many things you can do!

Use a stain spray like OxiCLean. Ok, so it's not the natural way to go, but you can use if as long as it washes completely out!

Sun
Let the sun do its job! wet your diapers and lay them flat out in the sunlight. You can also spray some distilled white vinegar and/or lemon juice on the stain. This works almost every time, and I have done it myself on my own diapers to remove stains

Pretreat
Use your fave diaper detergent to pretreat your stain

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
What Do I Need For My Newborn?

So, you're starting a stash, but have no clue what you need. Here's a little started list that you can modify at your own discrepency according to your needs

*Just remember, you're going to be changing somewhere around 10 diapers a day for a newborn (less as they get older of course).

*If you are going to use prefolds:

At least 24 prefolds
-some like to buy newborn, some infant. I would go with something that starts at 8lbs. I would get a few of the nb ones just in case though, maybe 6-12

6 or more covers
-Covers are reusable as long as there is no poop on the actual fabric part that can't be wiped clean.

3 or more Snappis (or a LOT of pins)
- Snappis are easy to lose, so you want a few

*If you are going to use a mix of diapers, I would add in a few of each kind to see what you like the best. You can always sell off what you don't like (All in Ones, Pockets, All in 2's, etc)

*If you are going with pockets, AIO's or AI2's ONLY (with no prefolds), you are going to need around 20 diapers just to start. If you go with one sized diapers, they can be used from birth to potty training (although they don't fit a newborn all that great till you get closer to 10lbs).

When you are starting your stash, just think about how many diapers you are going to be changing, how oftern you will wash (I don't recommend waiting more than 3 days), and what works for you and your baby. If you have never cloth diapered, it is always best to buy a few different diapers to try so you don't end up with a bunch that you hate

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Help me! My Diapers Are LEAKING!

If you suddenly have leaky diapers, and stripping wasn't the answer, chances are, you have a heavy wetter. To solve this problem, you will want to add absorbancy to your diaper. You can start with adding a newborn insert (these work great as regular doublers!). If that isn't enough, try adding a regular size insert. If you use prefolds, you can wrap a doubler/insert in the prefold.

*Bamboo and hemp inserts are supposed to be more absorbant. They cost a little more (around $5 a piece), but may be the solution you need

The fit can also cause the diapers to leak. The diaper may be too tight or too loose. The Fuzzibuns One Size diaper has adjustable elastic on the legs and back to customize the fit. If you've tried everything and you have a certain diaper brand that is leaking, you may just need to ditch those and get something different. Babies come in all shapes and sizes, so what fits one baby might not fit the next. They may be too tight around the legs if your baby has chunky thighs, or too loose if your baby has skinny thighs.

<3

<3
November 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
Wow, so much awesome information! Thank you for this!

One thing I didn't see covered here is where to buy: are there specific places (online, ideally) that y'all recommend? Preferably places that sell prefolds and covers for cheap, and ship to Canada.

November 3rd, 2011, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Wow, so much awesome information! Thank you for this!

One thing I didn't see covered here is where to buy: are there specific places (online, ideally) that y'all recommend? Preferably places that sell prefolds and covers for cheap, and ship to Canada.
Nicki's Diapers
Nicki's Diapers - Shipping Information

Diaper Junction
www.diaperjunction.com

Kelly's Closet
Cloth Diapers Store - Cloth Diapers & Cloth Diaper Covers by bumGenius, Fuzzi bunz, Thirsties and GroVia

The Cloth Diaper Shop (actually in Canada)
The Cloth Diaper Shop, Modern Cloth Diapers, Baby Carriers and Other Natural Parenting Products, St. Catharines, Niagara, Ontario, Canada : The Cloth Diaper Shop

<3

<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search