DH & I are licenced foster parents!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Preggo Foster Momma!
Finally!
It's taken quite a bit of time and hair pulling!
We are so excited!
November 18th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Super Mommy
Yay congratulations!!!! Will you be getting a child placed with you soon?

November 18th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Crystal713's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal713
Oh that is fantastic news!

November 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Super Mommy
Yay! that's so exciting!
November 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wonderful news!!! Are you hoping to just foster, or foster to adopt? Exciting!

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

November 18th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Preggo Foster Momma!
We will probably have our first placement VERY soon!
We are fostering to adopt
November 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
wavrunnr's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! that is soooo exciting!!!

Mommy to 2 miracle IVF daughters and a miracle baby boy conceived without any medical assistance!!!!
November 18th, 2011, 06:35 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, WOW!! That's awesome. Dh and I want to do that one day, but we need a bigger house first!!

November 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is fantastic news!! It will be so fun to hear about this new adventure!

November 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so exciting!!!
Congrats hun. You guys will make a kid very very happy soon.

May I ask you a few questions? Just out of ignorance of the system )
How many are you looking to adopt?
Will you foster more than that?
How does it work? The kids get to your house and stay for how long?
Do the gov help to pay for their food and expenses (it must be expensive to support a child out of the blue!).
Thanks and feel free not to answer if I went too far, haha I'm just curious.
And I think you guys have a very big heart full of love

November 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto5boys View Post
Oh, WOW!! That's awesome. Dh and I want to do that one day, but we need a bigger house first!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
November 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Crystal713's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal713
I was in foster care for a while and kids came and went so fast. Some were there for just a couple weeks and then went back home to their biological parents, some were there for a couple days for respite while their other foster parents were on vacation, and some long term. One of my foster mothers told me that she only got 15 dollars a day for the "high needs" children (children with mental issues, anger, in trouble alot) and 10 for the "regular" children. Also food voucher and clothing voucher for the children. Still isnt much though!
I had a few different foster moms, I wasnt in for long. Only a year. Stayed in 1 place for 6 months, then another for a week, then another for the rest of the time. I still talk to 2 of my foster mothers, they are wonderful women! Saw some pretty awful things, it would be a very tough job to do. The world most definitely needs more good foster parents. You are awesome

Im also curious to hear your answers! And what ages are you wanting to take? Teens/children/any?

Last edited by Crystal713; November 18th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
November 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!

November 19th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Preggo Foster Momma!
May I ask you a few questions? Just out of ignorance of the system )
The system is VERY complicated. I've taken over 100 hours of classes to become a foster parent and also make myself feel more confident and I still don't understand everything. I hope that learning hands on will fill in the blanks. I'm also fearful of forgetting something, especially now that I am pregnant and forget everything!

How many are you looking to adopt?

It was two to adopt. Now that I am pregnant, we will take one at a time. Our goal is to have an equal number of foster/adopted children as biological. Right now, I'd say eventually adopt two, birth two. However, if the right sibling group comes along- I probably wouldn't say no.

Will you foster more than that?
More than likely we will foster several children before actually adopting. Our ultimate goal is to adopt, and in the beginning I had tunnel vision for that. (Save the children from their evil parents.) However, going through the classes, I grew a better understanding of different family situations. I became empathetic towards these families. Not everyone is evil, we are human and go through hard times. Our goal now is not to break apart families for our own home, but to help the community, while also being available in case a child needs permanency.

How does it work? The kids get to your house and stay for how long?
Every case will be different. Some need a place to stay for the weekend. (Called Respite Care) However, since our file is marked as foster-to-adopt, they tend to save our homes for kids that will probably need a longer stay- or even if they predict the child will need a permanent home. There is no way to know for sure- but they can guess depending on the scenario.
Do the gov help to pay for their food and expenses (it must be expensive to support a child out of the blue!).
Washington State pays a monthly stipend and also pays for clothing allowance, mileage reimbursements (court dates, doctor appointments, etc). The stipend goes up/down based on the special needs of the child. All foster children are considered special needs, however, some require more time of the foster parent than others. This amount is evaluated after 30 days of the child being in your home or so. If the child is raised right, the amount they pay you is not enough to cover the costs of raising a child. Despite what some people may think, I'm not making any money off of this. It's purely the experience, and the possibility of giving a child a permanent home some day.

I would also like to add that many states have an adoption program if you do adopt from the state. The child will have benefits for the rest of his/her life. All fees for the adoption are paid by the state and there is an excellent tax return on adopting a child from foster care. (Suggestion: put this in a college fund!)

I'm open to answer any/all questions anyone might have, but keep in mind, everything varies from state to state! Or if you chose to go through a private foster agency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal713 View Post
I was in foster care for a while and kids came and went so fast. Some were there for just a couple weeks and then went back home to their biological parents, some were there for a couple days for respite while their other foster parents were on vacation, and some long term. One of my foster mothers told me that she only got 15 dollars a day for the "high needs" children (children with mental issues, anger, in trouble alot) and 10 for the "regular" children. Also food voucher and clothing voucher for the children. Still isnt much though!
I had a few different foster moms, I wasnt in for long. Only a year. Stayed in 1 place for 6 months, then another for a week, then another for the rest of the time. I still talk to 2 of my foster mothers, they are wonderful women! Saw some pretty awful things, it would be a very tough job to do. The world most definitely needs more good foster parents. You are awesome

Im also curious to hear your answers! And what ages are you wanting to take? Teens/children/any?
It's awesome to hear you still talk to you foster mom's! I hope that I am able to make a positive impact on the children coming into my care. They may not be old enough to remember me, but thanks okay! Hopefully they take the love and warmth home with them instead!

$10-15/day sounds about right. I honestly haven't done the math.

We will be fostering children of all races, boys/girls ages 0-3. With a possibility of taking in a sibling group with an older child if the situation is workable.

November 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
MoMMy2*Vicky.Hayd.and.K*'s Avatar Expecting #4 :)
Congrats!! That's great news!!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my Beautiful Siggy!

:

Expecting #4 Can't believe we caught the first egg! ~.*PiNk Baby Dust ViBeS*.~
November 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is amazing
I wouldn't think anyone would do this for money (I mean, just go into daycare if you want that, right?)

Congrats again and thanks for the answer!
Hope it all works out perfectly

November 19th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome!! Congrats!

Mommy to Keagan - June 2008, Benny - October 2010 and Liam - June 2012
November 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats to you and your hubby! It certainly takes very special people with very big hearts to foster! I wish you all the best and and think it is WONDERFUL children are going to have a safe and loving place to go, even if only for a short while. You both must have hidden wings.

November 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome! Congrats!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search