Gall Bladder...my stay in the hosptial Sat. night...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Amchelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For almost a month I have been having this really awful back and shoulder pain and I have been doing my best to ignore it. Well last week it got really bad to the point I could barely get outta bed and was not able to sleep, so I was trying to wait til the 6th when my next OB appt. was to talk to my dr. about it. Well Friday night my right side started hurting really bad, I was vomiting and running a low grade fever and I didn't sleep at all that night and was in tears, so when my DF got up Saturday morning and saw that I was crying (which I never do) he kept saying I needed to call the dr. and I of course I kept saying no...I honestly thought it was really really bad constipation (I've had it really bad since 5wks with this pregnancy) but by 4pm I was telling DF to call the dr. answering service and see what he says. My dr. called me back within 10mins. and once I told him all that was going on he said he wanted me to go to the ER and have some blood work done and have a few IV's to make sure I wasn't dehydrated. So I get up to the ER about 5pm and get checked in and about 5:30 they called me up to the desk and said they had orders from my dr. to admit me into L&D for a 23hr. observation. I get up to L&D and they take a gallon of blood lol and hook me up to an IV and tell me that dr. is afraid its my appendix. I am laying there in horrible pain and my dr. comes in and says he is waiting on my labs but wants to go ahead and put me on some antibiotics and gives me dimoral (sp) for the pain and zofran for the vomiting...needless to say i was feeling really good there for a little while lol. he comes in a few hrs. later (9pm)and says the lab test came back and its not my appendix but my gall bladder! he says i can eat but nothing after midnight because he wants me to have a ultrasound for my gall bladder just to make sure we can wait til after baby is born to remove it. Thankfully for the time being we can. I did talk the ultrasound tech into taking a little peek at baby since DF hasn't got to go to any of my appt. yet...and baby's hb was 146 and we got to see a good profile of his/her little face and arms and legs I feel more in love of course. So I got to go home Sunday night...and I am still in ALOT of pain, dr. gave me vicodine for pain...but I don't want to take it unless I really really have to.

sorry this was so long, and if you read through this all you deserve a cookie! Have any of you other ladies had to deal with this while pregnant?

November 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sophia's Momma
I haven't had to deal with it while pregnant. BUT, I have had my gallbladder removed prior to pregnancy. I know how bad the pain was and can't imagine dealing with it during pregnancy. Stay away from greasy and fatty foods as those are harder on the gallbladder. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers as that is miserable!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggie!

My Scrapbooking Blog
November 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Preggo Foster Momma!
When i was 16-17 I had to have my gallbladder removed.
Before then I always was complaining to my mom and doctor about the horrible pain I was in. They did ultrasounds and blood work.... looked at everything but my gallbladder because I was "too young" for it.
After months and months of pain that kept me from sleep.... I looked it up online and diagnosed myself.
It took another month or so of convincing my mom and doctor that I was actually in THAT much pain.

I had 5 golf ball size stones in my gallbladder and was on the verge of it exploding.

On the good side... I developed a high pain tolerance early. Between that and ovarian Cysts bursting.... bring on labor! LOL

Hope you get to relax and wait till after baby for surgery.
November 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
JLock126's Avatar Expecting #1
Sorry to hear this. I do hope you start feeling better. Will put you in my prayers.

November 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Gall bladder pain is awful! I had it with DD1 but they never ran the dye test (well I refused it) while I was pg with her. Went away a few months after DD was born but I ended up with the test and removal of my gall bladder when DD was 5 month old. HUGS feel better!! Really watch what you eat and it should help the pain.

Do not mention on FB
November 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I could go back in time, I would have never had mine removed. It was not until years later than I began to research it and realize I could have lived with it forever, by managing my diet to avoid flare ups and avoided all the side effects that can happen. I had an MRI done and an ultrasound, both showing that I had stones and slushy junk. I had just had a baby 6 weeks before, I was only 19 and just wanted to feel better, so I agreed.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. As long as you don't have any in your bile duct, it can be treated holistically.

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

November 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I also had severe gall bladder issues and had mine removed in 2007. Mine was also so severe though that I spent a month in the hospital before the stupid doctor decided to finally check it. I guess they also thought I was too young to have issues. By then, I already had the beginning of blood posioning, and I was unconsious by the time I was rushed into surgery. Mine just stopped working, so basically it just kept filling up until it was 4+x the normal size. It was then that mine started leaking into the blood. Granted, I had issues for years, so I am glad that yours can wait. It is extremely painful!

I agree to stay away from any grease and fatty foods, as that will make it worse. Take care of yourself and do not overdo it too much with the food. I hope you feel better soon!!

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
November 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am glad they were able to diagnose you! How awful, I hope the pain goes away soon and you are able to get through the pregnancy without too much pain! Listen to the other ladies, they sound like they know what they are talking about When I was pg in August, I was so severly sick that that was the first thing the doc checked, because of my symptoms, he too let me see beanie It wasn't my gall bladder, just some darn stomach bug - blech! Anyways, glad they caught it and you can wait until after baby (for now) is born to figure out what needs to be done.

Take it easy!

November 28th, 2011, 01:42 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! The same thing happened to me w/ DS4. I was miserable and would break out in horrible attacks. The overflow if bile caused an allergic reaction that made me break out into hives all over even on the palms of my hands and bottoms of my feet. The first time it happened I thought I had food poisoning. I ultimately had to have mine out when he was 6 months b/c even though all if my bloodwork came back normal and I had no stones mine had stopped working completely and was threatening to make me septic. I had to be rushed into surgery after an attack that I had at my GI's office. Had I not been there he said I may have died, b/c of my situation I wouldn't say that it can always be controlled w/ diet. It depends on why it's causing problems. If it isn't functioning then no amount if diet change us going to keep it from making you sick. It will eventually become infected and need to come out. As soon as you have the baby you need to have a dye test to check it's function. Don't wait until it's too late like I did. Praying for you that it won't cause you anymore problems during this pregnancy. Hope you feel better.

November 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Amchelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers! Right now I have 6 good size stones...i can't hold down any solid food. Every time eat solids i vomit within 30mins. So right now I am sticking to liquids. Dr said I should be good if i stick to no fat/low fat diet, but right now I can't eat anything and am still in sooo much pain.

November 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Veteran
I completely understand! I had it with DD but they never diagnosed it. It wasn't until after I had her that they finally diagnosed it. I had it out in March of this year and it was great. The pain was horrible... Try laying in a hot bath on that side, that seemed to make it a little better. I feel for you! It's not something I would wish on anyone!

Savannah 1/23/09
Lucas 4/27/12
November 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
PuppyLove22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds awful! I hope you are feeling better soon!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my beautiful siggy!!

November 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia's Momma View Post
I haven't had to deal with it while pregnant. BUT, I have had my gallbladder removed prior to pregnancy. I know how bad the pain was and can't imagine dealing with it during pregnancy. Stay away from greasy and fatty foods as those are harder on the gallbladder. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers as that is miserable!
I was going to type the same thing. The pain before the removal is the worst and the recovery is a witch! They didn't realize it was my gallbladder until the last minute (it had stopped working) so I had emergency surgery and then I was on liquids for about two weeks in the hospital and I ended up losing 22 lbs which was not good since I only weighed 129 at the time and I'm 5'9" If you have a scheduled surgery, hopefully not until after the baby is born, it shouldn't be too bad. Also, remember that nuts are also high fat (good fat, but high fat nonetheless) so minimize those as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search