Severe constipation

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2011, 08:59 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Ugh. I so do not know what to do anymore. My OB switched me to a prenatal with a stool softener, I eat a handful of prunes every day, I try to eat fruit every day, and I drink tons of water. I am still severely constipated. TMI here, but I am not talking about rabbit poops, I am talking about baseball size, hard as a rock poops that are extremely painful. I swear everything I am doing is in vain and only causing severe cramps and gas. I don't know what to do anymore because my OB nixed any other fix. I don't remember this with my other pregnancies. Anyone else in the same boat?

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
November 29th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Super Mommy
I find I'm about in the same boat. Nothing works
November 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry you are in so much discomfort - that really stinks! Are you able to try something like Colace, it's a stool softener too, wondering if maybe that wouldn't be too much on top of what is in your prenate?

November 29th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by humnck View Post
I am sorry you are in so much discomfort - that really stinks! Are you able to try something like Colace, it's a stool softener too, wondering if maybe that wouldn't be too much on top of what is in your prenate?
That's whats in my prenatal. Plus when I was taking it seperately, it did not help either. It just seems to keep getting worse and not better. I obsess over every freaking cramp, and they all just turn out to be a gas pain. It really drives me insane.

November 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
THat really just plain sucks! I had about 4 days of that, I can't imagine that being constant. And your doc can't give you anything else? Have you tried adding a fiber supplement or probiotics to your diet?

November 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I'm going later to buy a bottle of prune juice. I am hoping one tall glass will keep me in the bathroom for an hour at least. Lol.

November 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM
loving2's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyE117 View Post
I'm going later to buy a bottle of prune juice. I am hoping one tall glass will keep me in the bathroom for an hour at least. Lol.
I was going to suggest the prune juice. I had severe constipation with my DD last time too (tried everything) and that helped me. Drink a couple glasses a day if you need. Hope it works for you... I know how miserable you must be

November 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh and cut out things from your diet, if you haven't already - cheese is a binder, try to cut that out if you eat a lot of it, I think that helped me a bit. Bananas are binders too, if you are eating a lot of those, cut back.

I hope the prune juice helps

November 29th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sophia's Momma
I tried Colace, Prune Juice, and increasing fiber and was still not having any luck. I spoke to my OB at my last appointment and she said increasing fiber only bulks up your stool, making more stool and making it harder to go. She told me to take Miralax (over the counter near the colace) every few days and it has worked wonders! I take it every 2-3 days and I now go every day! It has been amazing! You should ask if you can try it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggie!

My Scrapbooking Blog
November 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pear juice works too in case you really don't like prune. Have you tried caffeine? That works for a lot of women. If you aren't used to drinking or have totally cut it out, then you probably wont' need much. A cup of coffee should be plenty.

What fruits are you eating? You want to make sure you're avoiding apples and bananas as they are binding and won't help. Throw some pears in there.

Surprisingly, ginger can help. Brew yourself some ginger tea by adding slices of ginger to a tea pot and let it simmer. You can make a big batch adn drink it for a couple days or brew a little at a time. I think you could probably use ginger tea from a store too, but I doubt it'll work as well.
I hope some of that helps.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Amchelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am having the same problem...I drink prune juice 2x day, take a stool softener,etc. On top of having my gall bladder all messed up I am one uncomfy Momma.

November 29th, 2011, 01:54 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest the coffee also. Works wonders for me! I've been the same way lately too, so I feel your pain-..literally! Good luckand hope you get to feeling better and regular!

November 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just don't take prenatals because of that. I take folic acid since it's really the most important thing in the prenatal pill. No matter what I did, I just could not handle the iron in the pill...but iron rich foods don't bother me.

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

November 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Ali and Jillybeans mom :)
i have been really constipated as well. i started drinking a ton of juice and that seemed to help a little. i could go 5 to 6 days without going #2 and still do and my stomach hurts so bad all the time. im lactose intolerant and i thought if i ate something with dairy that would help and that didnt help either. it has really sucked. good luck i know this has been a problem for you for a while so i really hope you can find some relief soon!
November 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh...I've been there before! I hope the prune juice helps. I've heard that warming it up helps.

November 29th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah I am really wondering if my prenatals are worth it right now. I just wanted to make sure that I did everything correctly because I am terrified of another loss. I gave up caffiene too because my old RE scared me half to death saying that caffiene may cause miscarriages. When I was doing IVF, I wasn't even allowed chocolate because of that. I honestly do not see how one small cup could kill me this far along, so I may get a small from Starbucks tomorrow. If they have eggnog flavored that is. I REALLY need to go. Now I can feel the cramps as little pin pains in my vagina if that makes any sense. I know I have felt it before with other pregnancies, but on top of the constipation, it is NOT fun.

November 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Super Mommy
You know, french vanilla cappuccinos actually have silica in them (the ones we serve at work anyway) and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why I would run to the bathroom an hour after having one. Sadly... that hasn't worked yet, but I haven't had more than 8oz here and there as I worry about the caffiene that may be in it. I'd give anything to be able to just GO! LOL It's weird for me to not have diarrhea at least once a week or more (IBS)... I don't eat cheese, dislike milk, and will have maybe 2 yogurts a week. Drink plenty of water and juices, too.
November 29th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Well I just downed a tall glass of prune juice. Hopefully something happens. If not, I'll be getting Starbucks in the morning.

November 29th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Anxious New Mommy
Same boat here...I did take 3 stool softeners on Friday and Saturday and had some luck, but not since then. I did read that you can try glycerin suppositories...just helps lube things up a bit. And really, so opposite of me anyways. I have NEVER had any problems going, was very regular if not too regular!

November 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Colace did nothing for me in my last pregnancy. The only thing that worked that is sort of natural were glycerin suppositories.
Then when later on the constipation moved too far up in my intestins, I had to take Milk of Magnesia

And trust me, I had tried EVERYTHING (juices, coffee, cold water before eating anything in the morning, metamucil, colace, fibers, etc etc).

If you are hurting, try the suppositories. They are sold over the counter and safe in pregnancy. It only takes a minute or two (literally) to go.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search