We told DH's parents....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sophia's Momma
So, last Saturday we had DH's parents to our house for a Thanksgiving brunch and to tell them about the baby. They are not very warm or loving people and they are often very confrontational. But, we still wanted to share the news. So, we told them and their response??! ARG! "Oh....that's nice." Not congratulations, no hug or anything just that's nice! REALLY?! Arg. They asked how I was feeling and DH said that I have been really sick with morning sickness and again, no response. Why ask if you are not going t osay anything?! DH was so hurt by their response. So, last night, I open up my email and this is what I see:

Thanks again for a really good time. We hope we can get together again before too long. What can we do to help out & give you a break to rest up???

Do you really think I am going to ask for your help after you were rude? ARG! They are so annoying!

Sorry for the rant, but thanks for letting me get out my irritation!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggie!

My Scrapbooking Blog
December 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
They sound like the type of people that don't know HOW to be warm and loving. It happens, unfortunately. I know a few people like that who just weren't raised to be sweet and loving.
((Hugs)) I'm sorry they were so rude. I'd be mad too!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
December 1st, 2011, 08:55 AM
duckies0's Avatar Maggie's Mommy
Sounds like my MIL. She is very cold person. Not warm and loving like I grew up with. I think some people just don't know how to be excited or even how to react sometimes. My parents actually had a very similar reaction, but I confronted them about it. They said they just weren't shocked and knew we would be having one soon. Um, I still want the excitement and hugs. They apologized and made sure to let me know how excited they were. Not that you want to confront them about it, but I know it helped out in my situation.

December 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM
HaydensMa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say take the help Im sure that isnt what you want to do but since they arent very loving and warm people then I wouldnt expect anything more from them and MAYBE this is their way of being loving, ya know? I hope you feel better about it soon...

Sara Beth-Mommy to Hayden <3

December 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydensMa View Post
I would say take the help Im sure that isnt what you want to do but since they arent very loving and warm people then I wouldnt expect anything more from them and MAYBE this is their way of being loving, ya know? I hope you feel better about it soon...
I agree, some people just don't know how to be excited or loving in any type of situation, I didn't much excitement from DH's family either, this time, but I think it's because they were worried. Anyways, DH's mom has finally been asking how my appts are going, how I feel etc...I know this is her way of showing that she actually does care and DH's father is not a show emotion type, although I have gotten a hug from him in the past (I almost fell over after that). I would take the help, this may be their way of saying, congrats and we would like to help you to make this process a little easier.

HUGS and GL!

December 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sophia's Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydensMa View Post
The thing is, I wish I could take their help. But when we have taken their help on things in the past, it has come back to bite us. It always means that we "owe them" something else in the future. They never help for the sake of helping - they help to have something to hold over us. Grr.....

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggie!

My Scrapbooking Blog
December 1st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'd tell her it would be really helpful if she came and washed your windows, cleaned your bathroom and changed all bedding, and get dinner in the oven before she leaves....If they always hang things over your heads anyway - why not make it worth it???

Of course I'm kidding....kinda.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
December 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
lromkee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That stinks that when they help they want something in return. I was going to say take the help. They may have a hard time expressing themselves.

December 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulChaosMama View Post
Yeah, I'd tell her it would be really helpful if she came and washed your windows, cleaned your bathroom and changed all bedding, and get dinner in the oven before she leaves....If they always hang things over your heads anyway - why not make it worth it???

Of course I'm kidding....kinda.
rflmao...

i would do it!
December 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
Ali and Jillybeans mom :)
my FIL had a response like that. he is a quiet person and when we told him he didnt really respond. my MIL and SIL were so happy and excited and he was just looking at his menu trying to fugure out what he wanted to eat. thats just the type of person he is. he never shows that hes happy and he rarely smiles. sadly some people are just like that. sorry you had to go trough that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search