Christmas cookie recipe exchange

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Every Christmas, we do a cookie exchange at work. Everyone makes a half dozen cookies per person to share, and we end up with a beautiful tray of mixed cookies to take to holiday parties. Since we obviously can't do that here, how about we exchange cookie recipes instead? No doubt many of us will be making cookies for Christmas, and it's always nice to try out a new recipe. Post here if you have one you'd like to share.
December 6th, 2011, 09:09 AM
No one had any cookie recipes they'd like to share?
December 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Okay, I'll start. Since everyone usually makes cookies, I tend to make something a little different to spice up the cookie platter. One year I made rice crispy treats wrapped with pull and peel licorice like a bow. Another year I dipped Ritz crackers in melted chocolate and mint hershey kisses, they tasted exactly like girl scout thin mints. This year I am making cake balls. They can be made with any flavor cake and frosting, and they are delicious! Here is the recipe...

1 (18 ¼ ounce) package chocolate cake mix

1 (16 ounce) container of ready-made chocolate frosting

1 (3 ounce) bar confectioner’s chocolate coating

Toppings (sprinkles, nuts, coconut, etc.)

Materials to be prepared:

Cake pan (size is based on the package)

Mixing bowl

Wax paper

Toothpicks

How to make cake balls – Preparing Cake Balls

Prepare the cake mix based on the package directions. Let it cool completely before proceeding to the next step.

When the cake is cooled, crumble it in to pieces. You can divide the cake into several sections first to make it easier. Crush the cake gradually making sure that every bit of the cake is crumbled so that it will not appear lumpy bumpy on the final product.

Afterwards, mix 3 quarters of frosting into the crumbled cake. Stir and stir until it is thorough. This is how the cake will set into round-shape.

Next, prepare a metal tray with wax paper on top because here is where you will put and set in your cake balls. Using a scoop, melon baller or just your hands, roll the cake and set them in the wax paper. When you are done, place the tray in the refrigerator to chill and to harden for 15 minutes.

How to make Cake Balls – Frosting for our Cake Balls

Now, let us make the coating for your cake balls. Break the chocolates into pieces and put them in a bowl. You may want to use a microwave-safe plastic bowl to avoid burning your hands. Place it inside the microwave and set the timer for 30 seconds at a time, stirring it in between. If the chocolates are melted already, you can add food color if you want. If it is too thick, add shortening.

Remove the cake balls from the refrigerator and place a toothpick on top of it. Holding on the toothpick to set the cake balls in, dip it one by one onto the chocolate coating and place it in another wax paper. Avoid stirring the cake balls into the coating since it can be broken down into pieces.

Once you are done with all the cake balls, sprinkle some toppings on top of it for the presentation. And if you like, you can have another coating, pour it inside a resealable plastic bag, snap of the corner and drizzle it over the cake balls.

December 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
This is a paula deen recipe but they looked INCREDIBLE on tv. Going to try them this year!!

Kitchen Sink Cookies

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup puffed rice cereal
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup rolled old-fashioned oats
1 (8-ounce) package toffee bits
White chocolate, for dipping
15 peppermint hard candies, crushed, for garnish

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars. Scrape the sides of the mixer bowl and beat in the oil, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Beat in the flour mixture in 3 small additions, scraping the sides of the bowl after each one. Slowly beat in the rice cereal, coconut, and oats. Fold in the toffee bits and refrigerate the dough, covered, for 1 hour.

Drop rounded tablespoons of dough on 2 cookie sheets, leaving at least 1-inch of space around each drop. Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool.

Using a double boiler, melt the white chocolate. Dip the cookies into the white chocolate and sprinkle crushed peppermint to decorate. Allow to cool or serve warm. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

December 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
O.K so I'm kinda cheating here but I make these because they look SOOOOO cute and no baking required. If you are stuck for time cheat and do this!

MallowPuff Christmas Puddings | Griffin's

Of course I don't know if there is a 'Mallowpuff' equivalent in America, or 'Jaffas' for that matter. But I'm sure you could find something similar.

Nothing beats a home baked Christmas cookie though! I love the mixed spice iced cookies YUM!

December 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Well I ended up making Oreo balls instead of cake balls. They were oh so good, but I made them too big so I didn't get to keep any. What should have been 144 balls ended up being 90. Anyway, you mix a bag of Oreos, minus 7 cookies (any flavor) with a softened 8 oz cream cheese. You can crush the Oreos with a food processor, or by pounding them in a ziplock bag. Then you roll them into a 1" ball and place on wax paper (use a cookie scoop or melon baller). It's best to get them cold before attempting to dip, I stuck them outside since it was about 30 degrees out. I didn't have much luck dipping them in melted chocolate. I think I should have bought chocolate that is made to melt rather than chips. I used a double boiler. Instead I just dipped the tops in chocolate, then dipped in sprinkles. Again, you can use any flavor chocolate. I put them in little cups to serve. Enjoy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search