Eye Goo

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know much about the eye goo they put on newborn babies in the hospital. Mostly my opinion on it is an aesthetic one at this point. I don't like it because it makes babies look so weird and I don't think I'd like someone smearing greasy goo all over my face. I don't even know what its called, just that there doesn't seem to be much middle ground when it comes to it. You're either fine with it or you're adamantly opposed to it. What are yalls opinions? I need some insight.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
December 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Super Mommy
It's mostly to prevent infection for mothers with STD but its common practice and you can refuse it. I'm okay with thm using it, don't know of any negative reasons not to.
December 28th, 2011, 02:49 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
I found this info on it It has to do with bacteria.
it is a topical antibiotic like clindamycin. it is mandatory in all states for babies to get it because certain infections they can aquire passing through the vagina can cause blindness. by the way it is now legaly madatory and you cant refuse it, if you give birth at a hospital. it is a us statute. here is a link.
http://www.rbs2.com/SilvNitr.pdf

December 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are doing a home birth and I will opt out. I am allergic to the medication they use and would prefer that it not be given to my baby either. I don't have the STD that they are concerned about so I feel it's riskier to give it to the baby than to decline it.
December 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
I dont like how the baby will look with it but oh well. As long as it is protecting my little guy from infection i'm game. Plus, it will go away and then baby will look perfectly normal!!!

December 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've seen photos on the net of this but have never heard of it or seen it being done here!? Lara didn't get it done, none of my friends babies did either. Interesting. I might research it a bit more.

December 28th, 2011, 04:29 PM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
All of my babies have had it and I see no problems with it. It's simply to prevent infection, and not all of the infections it prevents have to do with an STD. That is common misconception. My sister wiped her son's eyes, thus wiping out the meds. Her son ended up with an eye infection a week later and she had to apply the medication herself for a much longer period. Just my 2 cents.
December 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
tyler had it, no one even asked me, that i know of. My husband might have okayed it or we might have signed for it before we got started...i don't remember. either way i figure there must be a reason for it.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
December 28th, 2011, 05:54 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are not doing the eye goop. It is normally erythromycin and I'm really allergic to it. If it wasn't for my allergy we would probably have it done.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search