Carson's Birth Story (long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I came in at 8:00am on the 26th to start my induction. My body was not ready at all, so they inserted cervidol (sp?). It’s a strip, with a part on it that looks like sand paper. It placed behind the cervix and is supposed to irritate it and make it soften, it takes 12 hours to work. So needless to say I was bored, and hungry! But my nurse was amazing. Barbra, is her name, she has over 40 years experience and was great! Carson fought his eviction every step of the way. He wouldn’t stay on the monitors, so they kept coming in and messing with me every 10 minutes.

The cervidol was removed at 9:30 pm and I was examined. I was a tiny finger tip dilated, and 60% effaced. So they started pitocin. Ive heard such terrible things about pit so I was dreading it, but it was not bad at all. My contractions were coming every couple minutes but were never more painful than period cramps. I was checked at 5:30am on the 27th and still hadn’t made any progress. They turned the pit up and the contractions still didn’t get too bad. I was checked again at 8am and the OB came in to talk to me. She said that everyone was ready for Carson his whole team was waiting for him and that if he didn’t get close to coming around 5pm that evening then they would discuss a c-section because in that case it would be what is best for him. I agreed but was frustrated with my body.

I talked to the nurse and explained that it had been almost 12 hours since the pit got started and that I really didn’t feel like I was going to make any progress. I asked her if we could check me in a few hours and if I didn’t make any progress if we could discuss a c-section sooner than 5, she said it wouldn’t be a problem and got the OB again so I could talk to her. They were both so sweet and supportive. No one pressure me into anything. I just trusted my gut and made decisions that I thought were best for my baby. So we decided that at 12:30 I would be examined one last time and if I still hadn’t made any progress I’d make the decision for the c-section and if I did make progress that we would wait till 5 and see where I was.

Barbra then talked to me and explained that if I did need a c-section that I would need a epi, and that I could get one now (at 10ish) so that they can be more aggressive in the induction. I agreed and got my epi at 11. 12:30 came and I was checked one last time. Even with the epi it felt like she was feeling my throat. I still hadn’t made any change. So the OB came in and we made the decision that a c-section was best. Carson was not engaged whatsoever, and I hadn’t made any change at all and it had been over 24 hours since the induction started.

At 1:30 ish they carted me into the back for prep for the surgery. Nick got dressed and waited in the hall. I was so nervous, I got sick. After I was done being sick I calmed down. The rest is a daze. I remember asking Jen (my go-to-girl/nurse) where was Nick, she ran and got him, and then my heart rate dropped and I remember saying Im going to pass out, hearing “knife! We need to get this baby out!!!!” Nick got in the room and within a minute Carson was born. He came into the room screaming and I couldn’t be more proud. I was prepared to not be able to see him, and just let them do what they needed. He sounded so amazing though. He was 19 inches long, 7 pounds 7 ounces, and was born at 2:04 pm. I cried the whole time they stitched me up. Nick got to cut his cord, and went with him when he went to the NICU which was the plan. My heart rate came right back up to normal.

Once I was stitched up they took me to recovery, which was hard, It was hard to be in the room with all the new moms with their baby’s. So I moved my legs like crazy as soon as I could so I could get out of there ASAP. My nurse told me once I could move both legs and lift my butt of the bed I was able to go. So once I could do those things I called the nurse over so they could transfer me to a PP room. On the way to the PP room I got carted into the NICU to see my baby. What an amazing experience! He is so beautiful and perfect!! I cant even explain how amazing that was. Then I got taken up to a room and Nick stayed with Carson and mom stayed with me, Carson was transferred to Childrens 10 minutes after I got my room and was stable!

C-sections HURT! Holy Moly! But I was determined, I didn’t agree to the c-section without my ob writing me a list of things I needed to accomplish before I could leave. She said she couldn’t guarantee me leaving ‘early’ unless I completed all those things. I just relaxed on Tuesday but Wednesday morning I was determined. I was told I had to pee on my own, pass gas, eat solids, manage my pain, and be able to walk a lap around this floor before I could leave. They said if I did all these things I could leave at the earliest Thursday the 29th. So I got up as soon as I could. It hurt so much but I did it around 10 Wednesday morning. By 2 I was up again and by 6 I was able to walk a lap. The only thing I still needed to do was eat solids, and pass gas. I had meatloaf (barf!) from the hospital for dinner and then passed gas as I walked TWO laps at 11 that night.
My OB came in today (the 29th) and took my dressing off, looked at my incision said everything looks great. So I am being discharged!!!!!!!! Thanks for reading.

Love at first sight

Family

daddy colored him a picture

December 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
Aww that made me cry! Congrats he is so cute and I will be praying for both of you!
December 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Congratulations again. He is adorable. Your family continues to be in my thoughts. I hope everything goes perfect with his surgery.

December 29th, 2011, 01:23 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
I'm sorry that it wasn't the ideal experience but he is absolutely beautiful!!!!
December 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HE is so cute! I am preying for both of you!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Totally have me crying, great story Continued prayers for you and Carson!!

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
December 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
So glad he is here safely and that you are able to go be with him! Congratulations!!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

December 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Rheanna, your strength is amazing and such an inspiration. I'm so happy for you that you were able to be discharged today, and I hope you are with Carson at the Children's Hospital right now. I hope your recovery continues to be quick and that you're not in too much physical pain as you go through the emotions involved with Carson's surgery. My thoughts are with you guys!

Thank you for sharing your birth story.

December 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
boots&bowtie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to boots&bowtie
Congrats again girl! And good for you for being open minded even though it wasnt your ideal birth experience, and for being so strong and determined to do what you could to be discharged 'early'. It sounds like you had a great medical staff too so I'm sure that really helped.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggie!

December 29th, 2011, 03:46 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
Great story ending with a beautiful baby boy. Congrats, again!

December 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay! Okay, this is a silly question, but...do you have to fart in front of a witness or just let them know you have? LOL!

December 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats, I'm glad he got here safe and sound.
December 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodyinthere View Post
Yay! Okay, this is a silly question, but...do you have to fart in front of a witness or just let them know you have? LOL!
Most places make you fart in front of the nurse...they have to hear it. Nice, eh??

And I knew it! I told you that I knew your determination would get you out of that hospital in no time. . I'm so incredibly happy that you got to go spend time with Carson before his surgery.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
December 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I didnt have to fart in front of anyone. But i have never been so excited to fart in my life. That was the one thing i wasnt in control of.
December 30th, 2011, 09:24 AM
MamaSugarplump's Avatar Jordan
^ lol at fart comments!

Congrats on your Carson getting here safely, even though it wasn't how you would have planned it to be. You have been so strong through all of this. Praying for yall today as he has his surgery.
December 30th, 2011, 11:45 AM
LilBecca's Avatar Veteran
Now that made me cry a bit... I'm SO glad Carson made his debut safely, even if it's not what you had hoped. I'll keep you and your family in my T&P.

December 30th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats

I have not been around much lately. What is wrong with your baby boy? Why does he need to have surgery?
January 1st, 2012, 11:00 PM
wild&free's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
Happy Birthday Carson and Congratulations mama!! WTG on trusting your mommy instincts! He is just beautiful! praying for you guys through his upcoming surgery, treatment, and recovery!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
January 2nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
Treysmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats girl he is beautiful!!! Still praying for a fast recovery for both Carson and you!!!

Thank you Chelsea for my beautiful siggy!!
January 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations on your sweet little boy!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search