What would you decide?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! I had my appointment today and everything is great! I found out that Emma is breech though. Not a surprise, I've felt her turn around and around in the last couple weeks. At my anatomy scan she was head down and was very low, so she has obviously been a wiggle worm! She weighs about 1 pound, 12 oz. She even got an image of her perfect little face. It was adorable, but she didn't print it out for some reason. Oh well, that's something I will always remember!

With her being breech right now, it got me thinking of when it comes time to have her, what if she is still breech? I just watched one of those birth shows on TLC and the mother opted to have the baby turned manually rather than go straight to a c-section. It went smoothly and she went on to have a vaginal delivery with no complications. She said it was very painful though and there were risks to the baby by doing it.

So... my question is this: Would you opt to have the baby manually turned if he/she is breech during delivery time or would you go for a c-section instead?

I'm not sure what I'd do... I certainly don't like the risks involved, but I also would hate to have a c-section if I could avoid it. This is something I never even thought about when I was pregnant with Jayden but luckily never had to worry about it. Hmmm....

Thankyou for the siggy, Jaidynsmum!
January 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
allicyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely have her turned...if it wasn't painful! That's what would turn me off. I've never looked into it, so I don't know the risks that are involved either. I know there are some websites that have exercises to help turn a breech baby- maybe you can do a google search for some of those. Personally, I'd be doing everything in my power to get her to flip back! I'm terrified of a c-section!

If you're planning on an epi, and she hasn't turned, I'd definitely look into the pros and cons of an external version. Do you know if that's something your doctor would do?

thank you jaidynsmum!!
January 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
adi&co.
I dunno... I"ve heard it's extremely painful and can sometimes break bones in your baby. Personally for me, a manual version is not something i woudl choose. There are natural techniques out there that work just as much as a manual version does. I'd do everything possible to turn the baby before having a dr. do it.

there's also this website.

Spinning Babies Home | spinningbabies.com
January 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally would do the external version. There are always risks to everything. I think the biggest risk to the version is pre-term labor which is why most doctors won't do them before 36 weeks just in case. There are risks to a c/s too and for me, I'd rather have the risks of the version. I'm sure they vary by person and by baby, too, so it always depends.

One website I know of is spinningbabies.com. Lots of good exercises to try to get the baby to turn. And of course, try not to worry - we still have plenty of time for the baby to turn.

My Blog
January 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
cavewoman's Avatar our miracle is here!! <3
If I could get him to flip more "naturally" by exercises or whatever else, that were safe, I'd try do so. If it meant having the doctor do so manually, I don't think I would. If the thing about breaking bones, etc is true its not at all worth the risk for me to do this to avoid csec. I know there are a handful (at least) who will be down my throat for going the csec route if this ends up the case for us but well, I don't care what they think. lol

ask me about doTERRA essential oils!

January 3rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
Megs982's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Megs982
Emilee was transverse.. and they flipped her the rest of the way..I was clueless and had not done my research, and just went for it..It was worse then induced pitocin labor..and next time in that case I would have opted for the c/s.
January 3rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm thats a tough one. I dont want a c/s but i dont want babys bones broken. I would see what my doc thought and go from there.

Avery. 4/11
January 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
Amelia is still breech, but I'm not worried. I've had a c-section before, and while I would rather have another vbac, I think I would opt for the c-section then having them flip her, but if I could do exercises to flip her, I would.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

January 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Amylizz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I have been in this position and what I decided was I hated all my options and cried for days! I'm serious...you know the 3rd trimester hormones!

Abbey was still transverse breech at 36 weeks so my doctor said to try rocking on all fours to turn her and we'd check again at 37 weeks. I rocked my heart out and AMEN, my baby girl DID turn just from the rocking!!! Oh how relieved I was!!! Now if it hadn't of worked which I never thought it would that far along... I would probably go for a c-section over an external version (painful and risky!) or breech birth (not for me). I wouldn't like it though. Like I said, hated all my options!

January 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
gmtejese's Avatar Expecting Number 4 :)
Send a message via AIM to gmtejese Send a message via Yahoo to gmtejese
My ex step-brother was turned around during his birth because he was breech and they ended up breaking his hips! He had to wear a brace for several several months after his birth and now walks with a gimp in his left leg.

I wouldn't do it simply based on the risks of breaking bones plus I hear it's extremely painful. I'd rather go through a c-section than have them manually turn my baby. But I'm a wimp, lol.
January 4th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd have a c-section before having the doctor try to turn the baby.
January 4th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I'm by no means saying everyone should choose to do an external version over a c/s, definitely need to look at the risks and benefits in everyone's case, but I thought I would share some websites about versions.

External cephalic version (version) for breech position

External Cephalic Version - September 1, 1998 - American Family Physician

My Blog
January 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM
SAHM_To_2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a friend attempt to ahve her daughter turned. she went rhrough a vag labor with her son and said she'd never turn baby with dr help again.

I'd play it by ear until the dr suggested c-section. My next u/s is a 3d one (2nd part to our package) on the 18th and as of right now she's sitting up. Her head is up by my ribs and her feet are constantly kicking down below
January 4th, 2012, 10:08 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
There's a chiropractic option as well, called the Webster technique. I'm sure Google would give lots of information on it and how it works, what it calls for, when to start, etc.

Personally, I'd avoid the manual version (internal or external) and try rocking, chiro care, or other 'natural' methods. I'm also open to the possibility of breech delivery if there aren't other complications, but most physicians aren't.

January 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
allicyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will say that if baby b stays breech, they'll try to turn her manually (internally! ) and if that doesn't work they'll deliver her breech. I will not be having a csection unless there is an emergency. (assuming baby a stays head down)

thank you jaidynsmum!!
January 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_em View Post
There's a chiropractic option as well, called the Webster technique. I'm sure Google would give lots of information on it and how it works, what it calls for, when to start, etc.

Personally, I'd avoid the manual version (internal or external) and try rocking, chiro care, or other 'natural' methods. I'm also open to the possibility of breech delivery if there aren't other complications, but most physicians aren't.
Ha, I totally forgot about this. My chiropractor is doing this to me. She basically said it's like opening the pelvis to allow the baby to get into position. Say for example if your uterus is assymetrical or something. But it's by no means, forcing the baby, like a version does.

My Blog
January 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Miabelle flipped back and forth throughout my pregnancy. At about 37.5 weeks she went head down. I ended up with a c/s anyways for other reasons but would have picked c/s over manual turn.

Thank you Claire1979!
January 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm lucky that I have a m/w who will deliver a breech baby.

If I were in your position, I would encourage baby to get into the vertex position by trying spinning babies or a chiro. If I were in your position at the end of my pregnancy, I would try a version before a c/s. Depending on how much you want to avoid a c/s, if the baby was still breech at 36/37 weeks and my current ob wouldn't deliver a breech baby, you could always try to find someone who would. I wouldn't worry at this point because the baby has plenty of time to turn.

=May '05 and '11

January 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by allicyn View Post
Personally, I'd be doing everything in my power to get her to flip back! I'm terrified of a c-section!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

January 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Twisted Cinderella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't do an external version. I have seen when it has gone wrong and it seems really painful.
Mommy to: Baby Girl #1 born 01/27/2002 at 1:22 am, Baby Girl #2 born 07/22/2008 at 9:54 am, An Angel at 9 wks on 06/04/2007, 4:30 am, Baby Girl #3 born 12/22/10, and Baby Boy born 03/21/12 at 10:53 am

My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search