Baby shower etiquette

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know that any of you have been in the weird situation we are in right now, but I would like your ideas and opinions.

I am both on bedrest and out of state. Our original plan was for me and DH to make a trip up to Michigan to have our shower with family. Now I will be stuck in bed in VA for the rest of my pregnancy. My mom and the rest of my family are VERY excited to throw me a shower because we are all so happy about the baby, considering the rough road its been to get here.

The new plan is for a family get together at my moms house and I will join the party via webcam. Meh. My mom is wondering how to phrase this on the invitation. Also, since we are out of state, we have no way to get any gifts that people may bring to my moms house for the shower unless my mom personally ships them all to me.

She is thinking of making an insert that says "Jessica is on bedrest! She will be joining us via webcam form her home." but wants to include something about shipping gifts to my house since people will be buying them. Do you guys have any suggestions on things to say that doesn't sound weird or tacky? Should she even add ANYTHING about the gifts or will people just send them to my house since they will be buying online? I wish this wasn't so complicated. Oh well.

Thanks!

Avery. 4/11
January 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM
First timer
My friend ran into the same problem while wording her wedding invites. They prefered to have cash to gifts and stated it as simply as that. It was a bit direct but the people who didn't want to (old people ) still gave them gifts anyway but most people just gave them cash so it worked out.

I don't think it is a secret that people are expected to bring a gift to a baby shower so why not word it saying that because you are on bedrest and are unable to get everything for the baby at the time being, they would be helping you out by assisting in the essentials for the baby? People are generally more than willing to help, especially pregnant women!

I really would not be offended if i received an invitation requesting a certain gift or to buy it from a certain store (where you could pick it up from a local location) if it means helping someone out who was on bedrest! Good Luck i am sure it will work out!

Proud mommy to COOPER
January 5th, 2012, 07:43 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
I think having it where they buy it and have it sent to you is best. Your mom can word it that since you are not able to come, please make sure any gift you buy for the baby makes it to you instead of to your mom's house.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

January 6th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
"Since Cindy will not be there to accept any gifts, gift cards and/or online purchases are preferred. ". Then it is not a demand, but a polite request.
January 6th, 2012, 05:52 AM
adi&co.
You should have your mom make a big deal about it being a cyber party and then have her go on to explain that you'll be on bed rest and so you'll you'll be there via webcam. Then she can write something like, "As (sorry can't remember your name) Jessica will not be in physical attendance, cash or giftcards are preferred. Please request Jessica's mailing address if you would rather purchase an actual gift."
January 6th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Super Mommy
If you are only registered online, I would have the invite say something like "Jessica is on bedrest! She will be joining us via webcam form her home. If you are ordering her a gift, be sure that it's sent to her address in VA and she will open it during the shower." most registries have a place for you to input your address, so it shouldn't be a problem.
January 6th, 2012, 06:41 AM
lilstlmama's Avatar Member
All of the above suggestions are great--as long as you explain the situation, everyone will understand!

January 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM
akd616's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmom View Post
If you are only registered online, I would have the invite say something like "Jessica is on bedrest! She will be joining us via webcam form her home. If you are ordering her a gift, be sure that it's sent to her address in VA and she will open it during the shower." most registries have a place for you to input your address, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I think that's perfect, especially the note about you opening it during the shower.
January 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys, it makes it all sound so much better to read it in your guys' words!

Avery. 4/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search