Question about 3 hr glucose screening???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Super Mommy
This is pregnancy #4 and my first time to have to take the 3 hr glucose test as my 1 hr results came back elevated. I am out of my zone here... what do you have to do? Are there alot of false positives from the 1 hr and then normal results after the 3 hr? What happens if you have GD? I'm at a loss with this one! Help please!!!

Joshua - 11/02/05
Matthew - 2/17/12 - Born at 33 weeks 5 days

January 6th, 2012, 09:15 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
The 3-hour glucose is similar to the 1-hour, only longer... Usually, you'll have a 'base' draw, then drink the glucose solution, then three more draws one hour apart.

If you are determined to have gestational diabetes, you'll usually have some dietary guidelines and they'll keep an eye on baby's weight.

I would strongly suggest you ask about the 'rules and regulations' for the 3-hour test; I've seen lots of different methods (eat before, don't eat before, being allowed or not allowed to move around during the 3 hours, etc.). Know what you need to do ahead of time. There is some indication that following a lower-carbohydrate diet for a week or two before the test can help to even you out, but it could give false readings and you wouldn't know whether you really have GD.

Here's some info on GD: Gestational diabetes - PubMed Health

January 6th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Super Mommy

i've heard of a lot of falsely elevated numbers for the one hour one. mostly b/c they don't do a very good job telling you when to eat before and what you've eaten. btw - if you fasted b4 the 1 hr one it could give you elevated numbers too.

I also agree that trying to do a low-carb diet or something else to "trick" the test isn't helpful either as GD can be dangerous to your baby if its not treated. My instructions for it just say to fast like 12 hrs b4 and to not have any gum, hard candy, etc even if its sugar-free. You can have like black coffee and tea and water during the test.
January 6th, 2012, 09:56 AM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
At the beginning of this pregnancy I failed my 1 hour but passed my 3 hour. I had GD with Brandon and I just had to adjust what I was eating. I also had borderline diabetes when he was about 4 or 5 but I lost weight and it went away.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

January 6th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I've never even had a false positive on this test before I fasted before the 1 hr test, but I didn't sit still, I moved around alot, so I have no idea if that affects the test or not. I will definitely read up and ask my nurse about it. I don't want to trick it in case I do have it, though.

Joshua - 11/02/05
Matthew - 2/17/12 - Born at 33 weeks 5 days

January 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM
.Katie.
I failed mine yesterday with a 160. I'm going in next week for the three hour. You want to not eat past 8pm and go in the next morning by 8am. Plan on being there for four hours.

That's everything I've been told.

I wouldn't try to manipulate your numbers by eating differently or trying to exercise and burn off sugar during the test. They are looking to see how your body regulates sugar levels. If you do have it, the earlier you catch it the safer you and baby will be.

My mom was never diagnosed with GD and it wasn't until 5 years ago when she lost sight in one of her eyes that they diagnosed her with diabetes at all. It's important that you be honest with your doctor and follow their directions when you test.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search