Sample birth plan.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2012, 03:01 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since hotpinktulips had questions about her birth plan I thought I would share mine with everyone. It is important to have it no longer than a page. All of my headers are colored and bolded to make it easier to read as well. Nurses/OBs don't have time to read through pages and pages so short and to the point is best. Always remember to thank them as well. I have candy taped to each of mine to sweeten it up a bit as well but of course that's not necessary Hope this helps ladies!

Casey and Jeff’s Birth Plan

This is how we would like our labor/delivery to go under ideal circumstances. We realize things arise and this plan may not be followed exactly. Thank you for honoring our wishes.

Labor
· I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
· I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
· My husband is to be present at all times.
· Plenty of time to labor as long as progress is being made.
Monitoring
· FHR monitored by intermittent monitoring (or telemetry if possible); no internal monitors please.
Labor Augmentation/Induction
· No augmentation of labor, such as pitocin or amniotomy, unless non-medical techniques are ineffective and approved by me or my husband.
Anesthesia
· I do not want anesthesia offered during labor, though I would like it available if I specifically request it.
· Please avoid use of urinary catheter unless anesthesia is used and my consent is given.
Cesarean
· If cesarean becomes necessary I would like to be conscious, my husband would like to be present at all times and we would like for our baby to be nursed immediately.
Episiotomy
· I would prefer to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy. I would prefer the use of compresses, massage, coaching for slow birth of my baby’s head, and positioning stirrups to avoid the need for episiotomy unless absolutely required for our baby’s safety.
Delivery
· We would like to avoid the use of forceps/vacuum extraction unless absolutely necessary.
· I would like a mirror available so I can see my baby’s head when it crowns.
· Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
· I would like the cord to pulsate for at least 90 seconds before being cut.
· I would like the opportunity to deliver the placenta naturally.
· I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery. We ask that any evaluations be done while I am holding him.
After Delivery
· After the birth, I wish to nurse my baby immediately.
· If our baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany baby at all times.
· We would like to delay eye ointment until I have finished nursing our baby.
Breastfeeding
· Unless medically necessary, I wish to have no bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
· I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier.

Above all, we ask for time; time to labor naturally, time to discuss and make important decisions, time to have an enjoyable and memorable birth. Thank you!
Mamayo likes this.

January 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very similar to mine! I was so excited to learn that some of my wishes are standard procedure at our facility too!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 6th, 2012, 03:20 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Crap. I really need to get mine printed out. Thanks for posting yours. I think it helps those of us who are being slackers about our own birth plans to light a fire under our butts and get the thing printed and in the labor bag!!!

January 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's pretty much the same one I had with Marina so I basically just had to read through it and print it

January 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ooh i need to do what you did and have it all summarized. I just have some checklist I printed off a website, lol

January 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He he! I actually made up a bunch of mini bags of candy...think shower favors in the little candy bags...to give to the nursing staff along with our birth plan.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
January 6th, 2012, 09:38 PM
hotpinktulips's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for posting this!

they will actually follow it.

~Special thanks to *Kiliki* for my adorable siggy~

January 6th, 2012, 10:09 PM
hotpinktulips's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina'sMommy View Post
· I would like the opportunity to deliver the placenta naturally.
Dumb question, but how else is it delivered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina'sMommy View Post
· We would like to delay eye ointment until I have finished nursing our baby.
Why would you ask this? Does it make a difference if you put it on before or after?

Thanks!

~Special thanks to *Kiliki* for my adorable siggy~

January 6th, 2012, 10:32 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpinktulips View Post
Dumb question, but how else is it delivered?

Why would you ask this? Does it make a difference if you put it on before or after?

Thanks!
Some drs manually pull the cord to remove the placenta. The eye gunk makes the babies not able to see you...while their vision isn't great yet it still helps with bonding to be able to see you as clearly as possible.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

January 6th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Oh and here is mine:
Birth Plan
-Jen L.- Due date of January 5, 2012
-North Shore Birth Center
-Midwives of the North Shore Birth Center
-Present at birth: Ryan D.(partner), Gayle L.(Mom), Jamae L.(sister), perhaps Megan L.(sister), Leila D.(daughter), and Owen D.(son). Open to others upon mother’s permission.

Overview
I chose the North Shore Birth Center so that I could obtain a natural, free from interventions, and as easy on the baby as possible birth. I hope to have a safe yet satisfying birth experience.

Requests for Labor, Birth, and Immediately After
-Open options for laboring and delivery.
-Amniotomy only with extended stalled labor.
-Minimal internal exams.
-Pushing with natural urges.
-The father does not want to cut the cord. Either my mom or sister will cut the cord.
-Baby and Mom will bond before any routine care is performed on baby please.
-Local anesthetic for stitching if tearing occurs.

Newborn Care
-No eye ointment for baby.
-Vitamin K shot to be given only if birth trauma occurs and to be discussed further.
-Declining the Hepatitis B vaccine.
-Breastfeeding only.

I also have the sections bolded. Anything not in there is typically not given or done or prevented at the birth center. I do not have a back up one for if a hospital transfer becomes necessary but the midwife overseeing my birth would transfer with me and advocate for me.

August 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoobyDutyAgainJen View Post

Newborn Care
-No eye ointment for baby.
-Vitamin K shot to be given only if birth trauma occurs and to be discussed further.
-Declining the Hepatitis B vaccine.
-Breastfeeding only.
Hi Jen, we are also going to North Shore, and I'm nervous to bring this up to them. Did they honor this part of your birth plan? Did you need to sign a waiver or anything? Thanks!
August 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Yes they did. They want moms to be educated and for them to make the choices the moms feel are best. They will make suggestions if asked or if you are on the fence but they truly leave it up to you.

September 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Mommy
This is awesome. Thanks for posting it. I should really get on it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search