Mirena Questions

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am thinking about getting Mirena but I have a few questions. I know that a few ladies here have had it or are getting it and I was hoping that you might know the answers to my questions.

I have always had extremely painful periods when off of b/c. My period cramps are seriously comparable to very intense labor pains. I get extremely sick and throw up and have even passed out before because of the pain. When I am on b/c, I have no problems with my cramps and can live like a normal person. Will Mirena act like normal b/c and help with that also?

Also, I have bad breakouts when off b/c. Will Mirena help with breakouts like regular b/c?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
January 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
jenny poo27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i hated it. I have had 3 all together, the first one i made my doctor take out after 8 months straight of a period. he convinced me to get a second one placed about a yr later and i did, it fell out after about 6 weeks and was replaced with my third which also fell out and how i got hannah....I am not a fan at all! it was very uncomfortable for me to have it in i could feel it and it bothered me a lot also it kept falling out and i kept bleeding on it.

January 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Mistyx6's Avatar Mommy of 6
Send a message via MSN to Mistyx6
I also didn't like it. I have painful periods too and it made it so much worse. i got it 6 weeks aftet lilli was born. I went to the er once because the pain was so bad. i had it taken out 2 monrhs after they put it in.

January 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone I know who went with Mirena has either gotten it removed or is planning to because they suffered lots of side effects, from hair loss to decreased pleasure and desire while DTD, among many other issues. They have all said (almost all the ladies in my 09 PR) that they don't feel like themselves and want to feel normal again.
January 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
I personally know 3 ppl who have ha it and all 3 loved it.

<3

<3
January 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
I am thinking about getting Mirena too but I'm scared! I know a couple people who love it but also some who hate it and had to get it removed.
January 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
I got one placed 7 weeks after I had Ari and had it removed 4 months later BC we were ready to TTC. I bled for a week after I got it however I was still having PP bleeding before. Having it placed and removed only caused slight cramping. I was pregnant with Bee just weeks after having it removed.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
January 23rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Harris View Post
I am thinking about getting Mirena too but I'm scared! I know a couple people who love it but also some who hate it and had to get it removed.
Ditto to that! I know half a dozen people who have it or have had it, and it's an even split between the people who absolutely hate(d) it and the people who think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I know the people who like it say they've had zero side effects and no periods at all, which is really appealing to me, because like Anna I have extremely painful periods that are pretty much only mitigated by b/c. But the side effects seem to be pretty major when they do happen. I'm torn, because I've had some issue or another with every kind of b/c I've used, and I would really just like to find a method that works for me and stick with it for a long time. (Well, in an ideal world I'd like to TTC again in about 6 months to a year, but P is not at all interested - I'm still working on talking him out of a vasectomy. )

January 23rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't used it, personally but I have heard mixed reviews on it too. you can always try it and if it doesn't work, just get it removed.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from June with my 2 cents

I got mirena inserted in June '07 after DS2 was born. DH said he was done, so I talked him into letting me get the mirena instead of him getting snipped. I had my regular periods plus some spotting for probably 7 mos or so, then my periods went away entirely except for very occasional, very light spotting (every few months maybe?).
I didn't always love the mirena, but it was definitely the best choice for us. The only thing I really disliked about it was that I'm pretty sure I had two cysts while I had it in that ruptured. Ovarian cysts can be one side effect. I'm not sure that's even what it was bc when I went for my annuals they always checked and said I had no cysts, but then I'm not sure how else to explain the pain.
I got it removed on 8/5/11 (which was actually easier than getting it inserted). I got my period a few days later, had a five week cycle (got period #2 on 9/14) and then got pregnant with #3.
If I had it to do all over again, I would definitely get it again. If you do decide to get it, I say stick with it longer than just 2 or 3 mos to give your body a chance to adjust to it. It definitely was better for me than trying to remember a pill everyday (which I would never be able to do) or DH getting snipped!

And that turned out to be more like 5 or 6 cents rather than 2, but hopefully I was able to help.

January 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Super Mommy
Popping in from FEB DDC, I got Mirena put in 8 wks pp with DD. I absolutely loved it. I never once considered having it removed. I never had a period, I didn't have to think about bc. I did have to go back and have strings cut b/c not comfortable during sex but once that was done it was great again. I noticed "flutter" like feelings and talked to a couple of friends who had it who also felt that way. I had it removed April 2011 to start NTNP, never started a period again and then found out I was pregnant with #3!!

I have had numerous friends who have done it. It seems to be split like the other ladies have said. Either you love it or hate it. Once of my friends actually had it removed b/c she spent so much money on pregnancy tests bc of the not being pregnant and always feeling pregnant with it. The insertion and removal both were pretty painless and easy. Good luck

January 24th, 2012, 09:30 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you all. I think I have decided to get it and see how it works for me. I will for sure keep it long enough for my body to adjust to it and if I have problems with it I will have it removed and go on the pill.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
January 24th, 2012, 10:00 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
I plan on getting it too. I hope to be in the group that loves it lol

<3

<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search