***Nursing horrors AND highlights***

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those of you who are nursing know that the title of this thread is pretty darn appropriate. There are extremes of frustration and success. Hey, even I have figured this out and my kid is only 5 days old!

So I thought we could share the worst moment and the BEST moment so far in our nursing experiences with these January babies. Maybe it will help people feel like they're not so alone and also give them hope for sharing in those highlight moments!

I'll start:

horror: My milk came in yesterday, rock hard, hot and painful just one day after my right nipple scabbed over. Lovely!

highlight: Cody doesn't like to latch right away EVER. It's a struggle, but he makes the cutest snorts while he's rooting and does the funniest things with his tongue. I can't help but laugh at him! It's hilarious!

January 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Overjoyed-new-mommy's Avatar Elisha
Horror: the first week...cracked and bleeding nipples! Lanolin was my lifesaver!

Highlight: Rilyn has huge, open-mouthed smiles while feeding which makes the pain worth it!

January 24th, 2012, 03:40 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Horror: Charlie is a hoover and I ended up with a fissure on my right nipple, causing me to literally scream and cry during nursing.

Highlight: My fissure is almost healed and at the lactation consultant yesterday she helped me nurse him without any pain. But, I'm still struggling and will be going back tomorrow for more help.

January 24th, 2012, 05:01 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww, Hang in there ladies!!

January 24th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Omg- it's been so hard this time!! I had cracked, bleeding nipples, too. There was slow weight gain, then thrush. Thankfully my doctor knew about Jack Newman's All-purpose nipple ointment.

The good? I love her milk drunk smile when she's all done. I love how she instantly calms when she latches. I love how much she needs me now, because someday she won't need me THIS much.

January 24th, 2012, 05:25 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bad: his slow weight gain Going to the doctor every two days sucks big time!

Good: His smiles on the boob. I love it.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 24th, 2012, 05:58 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Horror: I think the worst part is that he wants to eat about Every hour. That's not so bad of a horror though.

Highlight: this board saved my nipples, whoever suggested the gel soothies pads is my new best friend. I also am excited with how well he gained weight. He gained 5 oz in about two days and was back to birth weight in about 5 days. I can't wait to see how much he weighs at his two week appointment.

January 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodyinthere View Post
horror: My milk came in yesterday, rock hard, hot and painful just one day after my right nipple scabbed over. Lovely!

highlight: Cody doesn't like to latch right away EVER. It's a struggle, but he makes the cutest snorts while he's rooting and does the funniest things with his tongue. I can't help but laugh at him! It's hilarious!
It is so funny your highlight was going to be my horror. lol It drives me BANANAS that he NEVER latches right away. However, now that you mention the snorts and noises I have to agree it is cute. lol

So I guess that is my horror and highlight. Horror when it happens at night and I am falling asleep trying to nurse and highlight any other time.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Chellie's Avatar Veteran
Horror:
My milk came in suddenly & with a vengeance on day two. In the hospital. While DF's mother & her (male) distant cousin (whom I hardly know) were visiting. They wouldn't leave. Aside from the massive engorgement and the discomfort, I soaked through my bra in what felt like seconds and the entire front of my nightshirt was so drenched it was dripping. I had to hold a blanket over myself & was nearly in tears before DF managed to hustle them out.

Highlight:
We've made it a month, past terrible latching problems & nearly-flat nipples, and Alexander is nursing well and gaining impressively. I had more than a few times where I thought we couldn't do this, but we just keep powering on and succeeding!

January 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Horror: carson wouldnt breastfeed at all. Pumping makes me feel like a cow and i am no getting enough for how much he is eating.

Highlight: nippleshields are a godsend. A lactation consultant came today and gave me one (thats the right size,the one i tried before i too big) and carson nursed for an hour!!!! Im so excited that we have a chance at this!! Im not one to give up but i was getting really discouraged.
January 24th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
Horror: Flat, cracked, sensitive, leaky nipples but all of that got better

Highlight: I LOVE mommy milk drunk cuddles and how he sometimes smiles on the boob! It's so cute when he finishes and there's milk running down his chin then he uses my boob as a pillow lol. I felt a huge sense of accomplishment for sticking with it and getting him past birth weight by 10 days old
January 24th, 2012, 08:30 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Horror: My Peach has a latch like no other! She caused blisters like crazy in the first couple of days.

Highlight: She is a phenomenal nurser! Such a good nursing experience so far! She is super efficient, such a pro! Kind of makes me wonder how the rest of our nursing experience will play out.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

January 25th, 2012, 01:43 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Horror: Weight gain made me crazy. I kept reading and reading what could be wrong. Finally, found some good advice and just riding it out. Pedi is thankfully not worried and we go back for her 1 month. Other honorable mention, projectile milk! Happened once and it was everywhere. My nipples peeled which was just odd

Highlight: I had no engorgement. I panicked that my milk wasn't ever coming and ladies here calmed me and so did my MIL. I got lucky!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search