Refusing one breast?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2012, 03:46 AM
boots&bowtie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to boots&bowtie
Joel is 3 days old. We've had some issues with his latch and suck, but the past 24 hours he'd been doing great and feeding with no issues. Tonight he has started spitting out one breast. He will be very eager to latch, do a few sucks and then spit it out and cry. This is also the breast he has had more issues with since the beginning because that nipple is flatter. I dont know if he's just more fussy tonight, for whatever reason (he got circumcised ~21 hrs ago) or if it's something else?

We have a recheck consult with the lactation nurse scheduled for Thursday. Is there something I should try in the meantime?

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggie!

January 25th, 2012, 04:00 AM
SarahMc's Avatar Super Mommy
We were really lucky with Ayla as she took to latching really well, but she doesn't like the right breast at all.

One of the midwives recommended feeding her like you're holding a rugby ball (does this translate cross the pond?), so she's lying on the same side she lies on for feeding on the left, but her body is under my armpit.

This worked for us after a couple of tries and now she'll even sometimes take the right breast in a normal hold.

Worth a try!

January 25th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can try offering that breast first when baby is really hungry. If that doesn't work, maybe offer the other breast first to take the edge off the hunger, then switch to the other to fill up the belly. That way baby isn't too frustrated to latch.

I experienced this with my son and it only lasted a couple of days. It was the first of many "phases". . Good luck!

January 25th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
You could pump a little to get the nipple to come out and get milk leaking. If you make it easier for him he might be more willing to take it. Its important that both sides are stimulated so if nothing works pump on the side he won't take until the LC can help you. Good luck!
January 25th, 2012, 08:48 AM
TNTGarner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is NORMAL for a baby to have a good boob and a bad boob lol! It does get better but for us the easiest thing to do until they got a little bigger and latched themselves was to trick them. Do you cradle hold to feed? If you just slide that position over it will be just like they are nursing on the other side... I think that might be what SarahMC is saying as well. ISo nurse one side cradle hold then just move them in the exact same position to become a modified football or clutch hold on the side he does not prefer. I hope this makes sense. I will send you a link of fb if I can find one to show a picture! Hang in there!! I would also suggest doing a breast compression when he first latches on bad side to squirt milk into his mouth and then hopefully that teases him enough to suckle more. Kelly mom has good info on positions and breast compressions!

January 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
kellymom.com :: Lopsided! What can I do?

Marina did this a lot. When she was a newborn she preferred one breast because it was much slower, but when she got older she preferred the faster breast. With BFing things change a lot! As soon as you get it figured out the babies like to throw you another curve ball

January 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
Like everyone said, it's totally normal, but I will say if it keeps up you might want to check if the disliked breast has any sign of infection. But you'd probably feel discomfort if it was infected, so don't panic over nothing.

Douglas is not a big fan of the left breast, but he suffers through it. He latches on, then pulls off with this awful expression like I'm poisoning him and fusses for a minute, and then he gives in and nurses normally.

January 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Regular
Oliver was doing the same thing with my right breast for a couple of days. He'd latch on but then choke a little, latch off and wouldn't latch back onto that side.

Turns out my let down on that side was too fast for him. A change in nursing positions resolved the problem though. When he nurses on that side I basically have to lean back and place him on top of my breast...essentially using gravity (or the lack thereof) to slow down how much he was taking in.

Jenn
January 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Super Mommy
This might sound crazy, but if you are up to it- taste it. Like a drop or 2 will do. I had this happen with Luke and my milk on that side was super salty! Turns out I had an infection, got it cleared up and he liked that boob again...
Wife to Jerry and mom to Drew (18), Hannah (15), Luke (8), Grace (4), Owen (just turned 2), and expecting Baby #6 in August 2014
January 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the other comments. I have nothing to add, but I read and wanted to respond

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Yep ditto all the other suggestions! Keep at it...it will work itself out! Pump if he won't take it.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search