Joel Viven's Birth Story (long!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2012, 06:01 PM
boots&bowtie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to boots&bowtie
I wrote this for my blog so it's super long sad thing is I even cut out bits & pieces to make it a little shorter for JM lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had been to see my OBGYN for my regular weekly appointment on Tuesday, January 17th, 2012. I was 38w4d. She checked my cervix and told me it was about 1cm dilated, but "very, very soft" and thinning. I had mentioned to her the fact that I had been feeling random contractions still. They never were painful at all, I would just notice the tightening across my abdomen. They had sort of picked up over the past couple of days. She suggested since my cervix was so soft, I might consider coming in just for a quick cervix check on Friday... especially if my contractions kept increasing. While I was there I also briefly met Dr H. He sees patients at my OB's office on Tuesdays, and is usually the doctor that delivers her patients if she's unavailable, since the hospital is not local.

The next day at work, I noticed more contractions throughout the day. Still no pattern or pain, though. On my drive home from work I noticed they were coming pretty frequently, so I started timing them. They were about every 6 minutes. They continued to be anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes throughout the evening, only slowing to every 10 minutes when I was relaxing and laying down. As soon as I got up to take a shower, they picked way back up. Long story sort, I timed them from about 6:45pm until 10:30 when I finally just went to sleep because they still weren't getting painful. I figured if this turned into real labor, I'd be woken up by them. Otherwise, I had to work the next day, so I needed the rest

Nothing happened during the night and the next day I went to work as usual. I noticed random contractions throughout the day, but not in any kind of pattern like the night before.

At my appoinment on Friday morning (39w0d), I could hardly wait to be checked. When she finally checked me, I was almost 3 cm dilated, and 70% effaced! It was nice to know my body was making changes! My Dr stripped my membranes as well (ouch). So, then it was just time to go home and wait. Throughout the day, I was contracting as usual, and noticed some cramping that I figured was probably just due to the cervical check and membrane sweep. I did however notice a little bit of "pressure" down low with each contraction. That was different.

I woke up at 3:45am on Saturday, January 21, to pee. Nothing out of the ordinary there When I laid back down I noticed "cramps". As I laid there, I noticed that the cramping was in a pattern, and was coming with the tightening in my abdomen. A light bulb went on in my head... CONTRACTIONS! I was excited, not necessarily thinking I was in labor, but thinking that my contractions were at least coming with some discomfort now. That just meant one step closer to labor and meeting baby Joel. I laid there for 45 mins and nothing changed. Could this be the start of the real thing? I decided to get out of bed and do some things around the house to see what happened with the contractions then. So, I did dishes I figured *if* this was the real thing, they needed to be done anyway! After dishes, I for some reason decided to organize my shelf in the bathroom because it was a mess. Then, I painted my toenails (haha). Then I decided I would go lay back down. There still wasn't a change in contractions, except they were getting a little more uncomfortable. I laid in bed for a while, and the contractions kept coming. I decided to go take a shower, for one reason to see if anything happened then, and another reason was because I wanted to shower before we went to the hospital. I took my time in the shower... washed my hair, shaved, etc. The contractions were getting more uncomfortable, still nothing terrible though. I went back upstairs and turned the TV on and decided to pack a bag for the hospital, "just in case". In the back of my mind, I think I knew we were going to be going to the hospital. Matt woke up and asked what I was doing so I filled him in on what had been going on for the past 3 hours. He asked if I wanted to go to the hospital, I told him I was unsure but packing just in case. He got up and started getting stuff together too. My contractions were slowly still getting more uncomfortable. I decided to call up to the hospital and see if I needed to come in. They were going to page the on call OB (who was Dr H) and have him call me back. While waiting for that call, I let the dogs out, fed them, and bundled up to go out to the barn to feed the barn cats and horses. By now it was almost 7:30am. After a while, I still hadn't gotten a call back, but because the contractions were still coming and getting more uncomfortable I decided it was time to go to the hospital. It had sleeted the night before, so we didn't know what condition the roads would be in. It could take a while to get there if the roads were still slick. So we packed the truck and headed out right around 8:00am. On the way, we got breakfast at McDonald's and throughout the drive my pain picked up a little more with each contraction.

We arrived at the hospital right at 9:00am. We walked into the lobby of the women's center and told the receptionist what was going on. While she was checking us in, she asked multiple times if I wanted to sit in a wheelchair. I told her no, I was being stubborn while I still could Eventually we finally got called back into a triage room with our nurse, Julie. She checked me and said my cervix was 4cm dilated and 80% effaced. So there was some change! She hooked me up to monitors and said they wait an hour or two before checking to see if there are any changes, and that's when they decide whether or not to admit you. So we waited. My contractions were getting more painful. They felt like really bad period cramps. I joked with Matt that it felt so good at the end of each contraction when the pain faded away After about an hour and fifteen minutes on the monitors, Julie came in the room and said, "How would you like to have a baby today?" She said that Dr H said my contraction pattern was good and increasing, so they weren't even going to check for cervical changes. Yay! It was baby day! So, we were admitted to the hospital around 11:00am.

We got transferred to our LDRP room. It was nice! We finished paperwork, and settled in. Julie talked to us about our plan, and she said we would go ahead and start my IV. When she came back in with everything for the IV, Dr H came in with her to say hi and check me. He agreed I was 4cm, 80% effaced. And that check hurt!!! He asked if I wanted him to break my water if he could and I said no. After he was done, he said "Well, I'm gonna go home and go sledding." We laughed. He left and Julie started my IV. I decided to go ahead and get my epidural, so that I could get some rest since I only had a few hours of sleep the night before and obviously had a big day ahead of me. The anesthesiologist started the epidural process right around 12 noon. It wasn't as bad as I thought an epidural would be. After it kicked in I thought it was so strange how the epidural felt. As in, I could still feel sensations, and Joel kicking, but no pain. And I could only lift my leg a few inches lol. We called everyone that needed to be called and just waited. My mom and Randy arrived after a couple of hours. We all just kind of hung out and chatted, wasting time.

Around 4:00pm, Julie checked me again. While she was checking, I felt a "pop" and said "Uh-" and then felt a huge gush of water. I laughed. I was surprised just how much water there was! I was 6cm dilated and still about 80% effaced. Shortly before 5pm, Julie told us that the nurses were about to change shifts. She joked that I didn't have the baby in time for it to still be on her shift. Around 5:30 or 6:00pm my new nurse Jennifer came in to introduce herself and check me. I was still at 6cm, and she also mentioned that my contractions had really slowed down. She said she would call Dr H to talk about pitocin. I told her I really didn't want to use it. She talked with the doctor then came back to fill me in. They said they would be comfortable giving me one hour to make more progress without pitocin because they didn't want my labor to stall out. This is the point where I wished I could get up and walk around to get things going. Well, an hour passed and Dr H came back in to check me. He said I was still at 6cm, so we started pitocin. Before he left he was talking to the nurses about sledding and the silly things his kids had done - we thought he was joking when he said he was going to go sledding earlier!

The next number of hours crawled by. I found myself frequently looking at the monitors for contractions to see if they picked back up. Jennifer reminded me that it takes a while for pitocin to take effect. I tried to nap here and there, but by now the whole family was there (Mom, Randy, Jessie, Sergio, Loreto, Maya, Annie, and Claire) so it was hard. But I did get some naps in in between checks. Eventually my contractions picked back up and I started to feel them, so a couple of times they increased my epidural pump. Throughout the whole process they said baby's heart rate seemed to be better when I laid on my left side, so I laid on that side as much as possible. At some point I was more on my back than my side, and she came in and told me that his heart rate was having some decels so they wanted me to have some oxygen. I put the mask on, she helped position me more on my side, and we waited. After about 10 mins everything seemed fine so I got to get rid of the oxygen and from then on Joel's heart rate was just fine.

Slowly but surely my cervix progressed. Around 3:00am, Jennifer checked me, said there was just a little lip of cervix left, and said "let's start some pushing." She also was sure to remind me that a lot of first time moms with an epidural can push for two hours or so. Matt was asleep in the recliner, and Maya was asleep on the couch. Everybody else had left to walk around when Jennifer came in. I was saying Matt's name to wake him, with no response. I threw a pen at him... nothing Finally he started to wake up but he was taking forever! Jennifer said "We're gonna start pushing!" I figured that would really wake him up, but no, he still took forever to get up. I'm pretty sure I was shooting daggers at him. He had to wake Maya up and send her out to the waiting room to tell everyone we were going to start pushing.

At 3:10am, I did my first official push. Boy, its really difficult to figure out how to push when you can't feel anything Jennifer was great though, she was good at telling me when I was pushing correctly and was massaging and stretching during. After a while she said, "this kid's got some hair" but she only saw a bit of his head while she was stretching things. We knew that the nurse's shift change was at 5:00am so we asked Jennifer if she'd be staying or leaving. She told us she'd stick around until we delivered. Two hours came and went and I was still pushing, but making progress. We all joked that for as long as this delivery was taking, baby Joel was sure to have one heck of a cone head A couple of times during the pushing phase I got really nauseous and vomited twice. That was probably the worst part of my entire labor.

After shift change, my first nurse Julie came in! She said, "oh, you did wait for me to have this baby!!" Jennifer told her where we were at and that I was doing great and had been pushing for over two hours now. At some point shortly after, Dr H's assistant came in, too (all I know is that her name was Pat). As Pat got things set up for delivery, I must have been crowning because Julie was saying things about how much hair baby had. After a few minutes she laughed and said, "I can't stand it anymore, I'm going to shampoo that hair!" And she did! Joel had his first shampooing just while crowning Shortly after that, Jennifer called Dr H in for delivery. As I did those pushes, they were all telling me how great I did for pushing for so long (by now maybe 2 1/2 hours), and that a lot of women get tired if they go that long). At some point, all of the nurses and the Dr mentioned Joel's hair. I said he needed to come out so I could see it too! Somewhere along, Dr H said baby wasn't "too happy" right now, nothing terrible but he wanted me to have oxygen again... so I did. Pushing got really intense now, I was determined to get baby Joel out! I could feel his head come out, they all said "a couple more big pushes for those shoulders!" and within just a few pushes later he was born at 5:52am. They suctioned him out and after he let out his first big cry they laid him on my chest in a blanket and both the nurses and I were rubbing him off. Dr H clamped the umbilical cord, and Matt cut it. After a little bit they took Joel to clean him off just to do a quick clean up, during that time I delivered the placenta. Then we got to try nursing. In the meantime Dr H stitched a small tear I had. We nursed for a little bit, then he got his bath and all bundled up. The family all came in to meet Joel right about 7:00am.

So, birth stats were:
Born at 5:52 am on January 22nd, 2012
Weighed 8 lbs 10 oz, and was 21" long
I pushed for about 2 hrs and 45 mins
I was at the hospital for about 21 hours
He was born about 26 hours after I woke up at home with contractions

Pics! (sorry they're huge!)

Joel getting his bath

Me & Joel after his bath

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggie!

Last edited by boots⋈ January 27th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
January 26th, 2012, 08:34 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
What a beautiful birth story! I love that Julie got to be there! He really does have a lot of hair and so adorable! Did you have crazy heartburn?

January 27th, 2012, 12:05 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whew, you are a trooper.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
awww. he sure does have a lot of hair.
congratulations!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

February 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks for sharing look at that head of hair! unbelievable!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search