Who's pumping?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2012, 10:21 AM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Who's pumping?

How's it going?

What are you pumping for? Going back to work, having SO help out?

When did you start?

I just started a few days ago and it's going well. Its going better this time than it did in the beginning with Anna. I'm trying to increase my milk production and get a nice stash in the freezer before I return to work. My pediatrician recommended starting around 2 weeks, so I started just shy of 2 weeks. We gave Ryan his first bottle at 1.5wks and he even took it from me! I think we waited too long to introduce the bottle with Anna and she never really did well with one.

I have about 10oz stashed now. I could have DH do a whole night shift.. I could... If I wasn't such a control freak

January 31st, 2012, 11:19 AM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I am pumping. Now to just build supply 'just in case' or for when Nick and I wanna go out on a date. We cant take Carson out until cold and flu season is over so for simple things like filling a script i have to leave him with my mom. I was pumping becauseall he would take was a bottle. Now he is exclusively bfing!!!! I hated pumping before he was bfing. Its as if my supply was going down not ip and i was taking fenugreek and everything. Now im still not getting very muvh but its better because i dont feel the stress of having to pump enough for feedings. I started pumping day one. Two hours after he was born. Yesterday was the first day i didnt pump and it was an amazing feeling.
NutMeg76 and swade66 like this.
January 31st, 2012, 11:48 AM
TNTGarner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately I am pumping. I started pumping as soon as she was born. I am trying to get her back to the breast now but it is unknown right now as to how that will work. She has had one bottle of half an ounce since we woke up this morning so I am hoping she will keep nursing. I have pumped 10 ounces since we woke up on top of her nursing... so im not so sure how much she is eating LOL. But when offered a bottle this last time after the nursing she did not want it. Anywho... overall pumping is sustaining her but I am not making a ton. I have maybe 150oz in the freezer (I hope...) but on an exclusively pumping schedule that is not much at all.

January 31st, 2012, 12:16 PM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
I pump but not daily because it gets tiring with the manual I have. We did give him a couple of bottles but I'm scared it will hurt our nursing relationship. After we move I would like to start pumping more and get a freezer stash started. I might look into donating because I feel like I'm making more than enough for him.
January 31st, 2012, 01:49 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been pumping since Jax was in the hospital for jaundice. Which was at a week old. I kept doing it so that I would have a good supply for work. I hated having to use half formula half breast milk when Tyler started daycare. So far I have maybe 60oz frozen. I usually get to pump once a day and some days I have skipped. I need to get going on it since I go back to work Monday.

January 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
I've pumped twice, getting almost 2 oz each time. Both times were right after feeding and only for 10 minutes. So I feel we are off to a pretty good start.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
January 31st, 2012, 03:37 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Who's pumping? Me!

How's it going? Pretty good.

What are you pumping for? Going back to work, having SO help out? I started pumping for when I went back to work.

When did you start? I started when Flynn was 4 weeks old. I would feed him (he nurses only one side per feeding) and then pump the other side then empty the side he nursed from.

Flynn is 7 weeks 4 days and I have 90 bags frozen with 3 oz each for 270 frozen ounces.

ETA: I am using a manual pump and it doesn't hurt my wrists at all. I find that I am pumping for LESS time then I used to (when I pumped with Elizabeth) using the double electric. Crazy
TNTGarner likes this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 31st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Regular
I'm pumping to build up my supply for work. Unfortunately I developed a yeast infection on the aereoles so now everything is uncomfortable
January 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
I hate you SJ lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittkreigh View Post
I'm pumping to build up my supply for work. Unfortunately I developed a yeast infection on the aereoles so now everything is uncomfortable
I hope you are treating baby for thrush and boiling every pump part and everything that touches your bewb or his/her mouth with hot water and vinegar! It is the only thing that will kill the yeast so you are not reinfecting yourselves over and over again if you are pumping and stuff. I am also going to suggest a probiotic for the baby... not that you asked lol but we dealt with thrush for MONTHS... not fun at all

January 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTGarner View Post
I hate you SJ lmao.
I still wub you.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 31st, 2012, 04:04 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
Who's pumping? Me!

How's it going? Pretty good.

What are you pumping for? Going back to work, having SO help out? I started pumping for when I went back to work.

When did you start? I started when Flynn was 4 weeks old. I would feed him (he nurses only one side per feeding) and then pump the other side then empty the side he nursed from.

Flynn is 7 weeks 4 days and I have 90 bags frozen with 3 oz each for 270 frozen ounces.

ETA: I am using a manual pump and it doesn't hurt my wrists at all. I find that I am pumping for LESS time then I used to (when I pumped with Elizabeth) using the double electric. Crazy

Does it seem to empty your milk? I have a double electric and have to hand express to even get close to being empty yet I won't get a drop with the electric after 5 mind or so.

January 31st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started again today. We had thrush, too and the LC suggested we discontinue pumping/storing until it cleared up. So now that it's all cleared up, I tried today. Not so good... I had been nursing on both sides but feel now that I can get her to totally drain one side and then I'll pump on the other. I only got 1.5 oz. I'm going back to work in April so I guess I have time. I used a Bailey electric, I don't really think it's that good. I'm wondering if the flanges are too small? I'm going to pick up a hand pump and try that. I was going to rent a hospital grade one when I go back to work, but I'm really not sure.

I'm totally open to any suggestions!!

January 31st, 2012, 06:04 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
Who's pumping? I'm pumping and nursing.

How's it going? Not so well. My supply is still building since I'm only 3 days PP and have only been nursing for 1 day now.

What are you pumping for? Going back to work, having SO help out? I had to pump since Jax was in the NICU and was NPO for the first 24 hours and couldn't be held for the first 48. Plus I need to store up for when I go back to work, and it's also nice to let SO bond too. So far he doesn't have nipple confusion and goes from breast to bottle with ease.

When did you start? Started the day he was born.

January 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday3 View Post
I started again today. We had thrush, too and the LC suggested we discontinue pumping/storing until it cleared up. So now that it's all cleared up, I tried today. Not so good... I had been nursing on both sides but feel now that I can get her to totally drain one side and then I'll pump on the other. I only got 1.5 oz. I'm going back to work in April so I guess I have time. I used a Bailey electric, I don't really think it's that good. I'm wondering if the flanges are too small? I'm going to pick up a hand pump and try that. I was going to rent a hospital grade one when I go back to work, but I'm really not sure.

I'm totally open to any suggestions!!
I am far from a LC but Kelly mom is a great resource and we have been through a TON with pumping (and nursing...) as far as flange size, I had to go up. If you stop getting anything after the initial letdown it is possible the nipple size has "grown" during suctioning and a bigger size is needed. It can cut off milk draining to have too small of a flange... i had that issue. The flange is too big if you have more than half an inch around the nipple being suctioned in... like that ring area. I hope that makes sense. Our LC here and kelly mom are ok with using milk that was expressed during a thrush outbreak... though some dont agree I am sure. The main issue is not recontaminating every time. Its a TON of work. kellymom.com :: Q&A: Preventing Thrush

January 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I do sometimes and i started the day she was born, they wanted me to "help it come in" since i couldnt see her to nurse her.
January 31st, 2012, 07:29 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will start pumping today. Since I didn't have any issues that required me to pump sooner I waited until my milk supply was well developed. Pumping too soon can interfere with production and lead to hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.

I go back to work in about 3 weeks, so I need to start building my stash.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been an occasional pumper and will be more serious since I think we are doing well, I want to be sure she will take a bottle when she has to go to daycare
February 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Overjoyed-new-mommy's Avatar Elisha
I have been pumping since the first week, though not religiously! I generally feed her off one side and pump the other then finish on her side when she is done. It has been going well and I have about 20 4-5oz bags frozen already. I am off work til April but I want to start bottle feedings soon too so she will take a bottle for the sitter when the day comes. I generally get about 2-3 ounces pumped each time I do it...definately need to be better about it though

February 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So, I started last night and in four sessions got a total of 2 ounces. I have a long. long way to go.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
I wonder how quickly our body can catch up if we pump it and store it. Right now I'm pumping about 2.5 oz extra each day to freeze. I'm nervous to freeze more than that because I don't want him to need to nurse every 45 minutes at night (again) to make up for what I froze. If I pump an extra couple ounces in the late morning (maybe 4-5oz?) I wonder if he'll be able to make up for it during the day or if he'll still need to nurse like crazy all night. Maybe I should just make sure to drink like a gallon or two of water when I start that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search