We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Ok, two part question here. Starting yesterday morning, Douglas has been really really gassy and uncomfortable, he's had a lot more spit up than usual, and he's actually had stinky poops for the first time. Could it be an allergy to something, or just a normal phase, or what? He's EBF and I don't think I've eaten anything unusual lately, but my diet is quite varied and I do eat/drink a lot of dairy products. He also has a perfect latch 95% of the time so he isn't swallowing tons of air when he nurses, nor has this changed recently. The other 5% of the time is if he's too hungry and upset to latch on properly, and he's trying to cry and nurse at the same time.
What can I do to make him feel better? I burp him often and that seems to give him a bit of relief, but he's obviously still so uncomfortable and I hate seeing him that way. I've read that gently pushing a baby's knees towards his chest can be effective at relieving gas pains, but Douglas will just kick and scream if I try to manipulate his legs at all when he's upset. And sometimes even when he isn't already upset.
Infant massage and burping more might help with the gas. As for the stinky poo I don't know...Kalebs poop always smells the same lol. Try cutting out dairy and anything that would make you gassy. I think it can take a couple of weeks for dairy to leave your system and his though.
Noooo! I was scared it might be dairy. I love milk. Well, I'm cutting down and I'll try to phase it out completely to see if that's the trouble.
I also missed something in my OP that could be the issue - I just started him on the vitamin D drops (the kind with a full eyedropper, not a single drop) a few days ago (Saturday? Sunday? somewhere in there) so that could be relevant.
His poops have sometimes been a little greener than usual the last few days, but they're still pretty consistently mustard-yellow and seedy. Since day 3 or so they've been pretty much exactly the same. Oh and he has about 6-8 poops a day usually, and that hasn't changed.
the green poop could be a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. When you feed him do you offer both breasts at a feeding or just one side? If you are offering both I would suggest trying to feed only one breast during a feeding and if he falls asleep at the breast before finishing but wakes within 30 minutes looking for milk again offer that same breast. This should help with the green stinky poop and even a bit with the gassiness.