***Once your child is fully weaned...***

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By -Anna-
  • 1 Post By cynb
  • 2 Post By acupofjoe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2012, 04:21 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I realize that this is WAY off for our babies, but it's something to ponder and I know many of you BTDT moms are already feeding older kids, so...

Do you plan to have your children eat whatever you have prepared for the adults in the family or will you prepare separate kid food for them?

January 31st, 2012, 04:38 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will start pureed solids around 6 months and continue to bottle feed. Once she is fully weaned from the bottle at a year, she will eat what we eat unless we cook something spicy that night.
readyfornumber2 likes this.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
January 31st, 2012, 04:42 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My #2 and 3 refused baby foods. They are also much better eaters than my #1 who LOVED all things baby food. He won't eat anything now and the others will try everything. With them I EBF until they could eat finger foods and could handle food off the table. Essentially, all real nutrients came from breastmilk until around 1 year, with some table and finger foods. I imagine we will go that route again with Holden.
NutMeg76 likes this.
January 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
I want breastmilk to be his main source of nutrition for atleast a year. Not sure when we will start solids but it will be pureed vegetables and fruit and if he is interested in my food I will give him some.
January 31st, 2012, 04:51 PM
Super Mommy
I introudce fruits and veggies at 6months but my #2 rejected it and was EB for 8 months until he could do finger foods. We do dinner and usually the kids eat what we eat but I sort of make foods I know they will like also I dont make two seperate dinners.

January 31st, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will BF for a year. I won't do "baby" foods. I start with vegetables and purée whatever I'm making. The kids eat what we do, unless it's too spicy.

January 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
Baby food after 6mths then table food once he gets enough teeth. He will eat everything w do because I don't make separate meals. Erin eats everything, including buffalo wings lol
January 31st, 2012, 05:18 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
My son had issues eating when he was a toddler that had to do with a medical problem, and to this day still has some issues. Our meals are designed to cater to some of his tastes. There is at least one thing every night that I know he will eat. Then, I ask him to try something new, as well as sometimes make him something specific for him if I know he won't eat most of what we are having.

For this LO, I will breastfeed for at least a year, but I will also introduce solids after 6 months. At first, we only do simple cereals. But, we are getting a fruit share from an organic farm this summer and I plan on making and freezing baby food for my baby from the fruit from the share as well as from the veggie garden we are starting. I am really excited about this.

Once the baby is able to tolerate finger foods, he/she will also be offered some of whatever we are eating to go along with the puree. As the child gets older, we plan on giving the baby what we eat (as we did with my daughter). However, I have found that despite our best efforts, sometimes they see what DS gets and wants that instead. I personally believe it's better that the kids are eating and healthy rather than picking fights about what specifically they are eating at each meal. But, that's me. I know other people feel differently about it. I just feel like food tastes are specific to each person, and I am not going to force my kids to eat something just because *I* like it. I do ask that they try things, but once they take a bite, that is all I will ask them to do.

January 31st, 2012, 05:49 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
We planned to have Anna eat whatever we eat. But sometimes she just doesn't like it, so I might make a "side" that's just for her, ie: noodles with cheese. She had a really hard time eating any kind of meat until recently, so for a while I would make her a different type of protein. We'll see how this baby does. Already he's eating better than my DD did, so hopefully we won't have as many issues around eating. I agree with Honest Mamma too, if she's eating healthy I don't care so much what she eats. I've given Anna a yogurt, and green beans for dinner before.

January 31st, 2012, 06:22 PM
TNTGarner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DS we did the baby food at 6 months. DD refused all baby food and ate table food from about 7 months on even though she had no teeth lol. This time I hope to sustain a supply of breastmilk to get Jenna to a year like the other two. We might try some purees but breast to table food was soooo much easier so that is what I am hoping to do if I can sustain my milk.

January 31st, 2012, 06:34 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Whatever i make i usually mash it for them.

oh oops..lack of sleep, lol. i read that wrong..

my kids eat what we make or they starve. OK not really starve but i am not a short order cook. So they eat what we eat!
BobbityBoo and TNTGarner like this.
January 31st, 2012, 06:53 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Elizabeth refused all baby cereal and food. She was EBM (because she was BF and had BM bottles lol) until she was 8 months old. At that point she would eat puffs and other gerber finger foods. At about one year she started eating what we were eating.

Not sure what we will do for sure with Flynn but I dont plan on giving him anything but breastmilk until 8 or 9 months...basically what we didnwith Elizabeth. I dont want to give him baby food so if he decideds he wants "solids" sooner I will puree food for him.

When he is oldee it will be the same as we do now with Elizabeth. I onky make things I know she will like. If I make something I am not sure on or I know she doesnt eat I will make her something specific. If she just up and decides she doesnt want what we are having it depends on how she has been acting what I do. Usually she has to eat so many bites before I get her something else and never do I cook something else...she gets a pb sandwich or cereal.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
February 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did baby led solids with Kate and she is the best eater of all my kids now! For anyone who doesn't know what this is here is a good link! But basically you don't give purees. I didn't follow it to the strictest degree but I def didn't spoon feed her the jarred baby food. When she was 8-9 I started buying those pouches of baby food and she held it herself and ate them. I will do those again!!

Welcome to Baby-Led Solids!

Once my kids are older, yes they eat what I cook. End of story. If its spicy mexican or something than I add a scoop of sour cream usually.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
February 1st, 2012, 09:49 AM
corilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I can remember my doctor said to start cereal at four months and jar food at six but not sure what I will do this time because Madison is so picky and doesn't eat really it's pretty bad I think. I kept her on formula because she didn't react to milk she is now on lactose mike.

As to cooking I will cook her or them something else because my hubby is super picky too and sometimes we eat different things because I can't eat the same thing everyday

February 1st, 2012, 10:05 AM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbityBoo View Post
We did baby led solids with Kate and she is the best eater of all my kids now! For anyone who doesn't know what this is here is a good link! But basically you don't give purees. I didn't follow it to the strictest degree but I def didn't spoon feed her the jarred baby food. When she was 8-9 I started buying those pouches of baby food and she held it herself and ate them. I will do those again!!

Welcome to Baby-Led Solids!

Once my kids are older, yes they eat what I cook. End of story. If its spicy mexican or something than I add a scoop of sour cream usually.
That's my plan exactly.

February 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
I've always made my own pureed fruit and veggies for my babies and then as they expand their food repretoire I will mash whatever I am making for dinner for them. The only real exception I make in our meals is if it is spicy I will seperate some of the meal and not spice that like for tacos I will keep some of the ground beef seperate and give that to the baby/toddler with their meal.
February 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, hopefully we won't fully wean until after 12 months, but should intro solids earlier than that.

We don't use baby food. We did with our first, but it just wasn't that good and not worth it. With the others we introduce solids when they show interest. If they re still under 8 months or so then we will use the food mill and grind up whatever we are having. If they are older we just go straight to finger foods.

Other than super spicy meals the kids eat what we eat. If they really don't like what we are having then they can request a healthy substitute, but I will not cook them a separate meal. My 6 year old sometimes makes herself scrambled eggs ad the boys will usually have soup. I don't force them to eat things they don't like, because, well I don't cook things i don't like. They have to try new things and they have to eat things I know they do like.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search