BFing question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swade66

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2012, 06:54 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
When Jax nursed earlier I noticed a little bit of blood on his lip, examined myself and sure enough there's a crack and blood coming from it. I put it off and didn't think anything of it until just now when I was pumping and saw the blood in the bottle. I guess because I didn't see the blood mixed with milk when he was nursing it didn't occur to me that he was ingesting it. Now I'm a little freaked out because I'm pumping pink milk! Has anyone experienced this? Any advice on what will help heal the wound? Should I pump or nurse until it's healed?

January 31st, 2012, 06:59 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Everything I have read says continue to BF. I would go get links but I cant copy/paste on this Nook.lol

Go visit kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting lots of good info there.
TNTGarner likes this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't BF, so could be completely wrong, but the other day after Chloe had some blood in her stool, I was researching online possible causes and it said that if you BF and have a crack and the baby drinks some blood, it could come out in the stool. It said that it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. So I would assume that it's fine to continue to BF.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
January 31st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Awesome! Thanks ladies, blood doesn't make me squeamish until it's something to do with my kids lol. I've bookmarked that site, lots of good info, thanks again!

January 31st, 2012, 07:22 PM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
I think little cracks in the beginning are really normal. I had them. Continue nursing but put on lanolin after every feeding, that will help them heal. Soothies are great for sore nipples also! Make sure he is latching correctly and get in touch with a lactation consultant or LLL leader if you need help.
January 31st, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'm going to BRU in the morning and getting some of the soothing breast pads. I've been using the lanolin cream also and it does make a world of difference.

He prefers my right breast to the left and I let him nurse for 45 minutes non stop on the right breast this morning and that's when I noticed the blood.

January 31st, 2012, 09:09 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He shouldn't need 45 minutes to nurse. Is he doing the suck-suck-pause, suck-suck-pause pattern with swallows the entire 45 minutes? Or does he starting doing the suck-suck-suck-suck-suck-suck (no swallow) pattern? Almost fluttery? If so then he is only 'pacifying' and that can cause you to get really sore nipples. You want to let him do 'nutritive' sucking until he stops and then maybe a few extra minutes, then switch sides. After your milk supple is well established, at about 2-3 weeks, you can start to feed one breast per feeding.

If I were in your shoes I would stop pumping until he is about 3-4 weeks old to get breastfeeding established and then resume pumping to build your stash.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 31st, 2012, 10:43 PM
He does the suck suck pause the entire time, but I'm not sure how much he really gets because when I pump I only get 1oz on my right and I'm lucky to get 1/2oz on my left. I've noticed I don't leak either, even when my breasts are full. When I bfed DS1 I leaked a lot and could express milk with my hand, so far I haven't been able to do that. I usually can't even get him to stay latched on my left side, he'll latch suck suck and unlatch. We've only been bfing for a day and a half now, so still getting the kinks worked out but I was pumping the 2 days he was in the NICU. I've been pumping when he's asleep, maybe I'm using all my supply by doing that and by the time he wakes for feeding there's nothing left?

January 31st, 2012, 11:46 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is possible. I would just feed him from the tap for now and go back to pumping in about 2-3 weeks. Let him establish your milk.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Ditto Meghan too.

With Flynn I just BF'd (excepted a few pumps to loosen up) until he was four weeks old. Then started pumping after every feeding and now we have a great supply.

Good Luck!

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search